Subclass 887 Visa - processing times

Cherries

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Sadly, if you come on a temporary or provisional visa you should always assume that the default position is that you return home at the end of it, much as you may like it in Australia. If your profession was taken off the list for PR it was always going to be a risk because it can't be in that much demand. 

It is in demand in regional areas. Has been ever since it was taken off the 189 list. Dentistry will always be in demand regionally.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Experts, 

I got my 489 visa few months back and was trying to plan to travel this november..I need information on bridging visa, will we have bridging visa when our 887 is in process and 489 time is expired, please update...thank you

• 2 weeks later...

The wait times for the 887 keep going up causing a great deal of stress, and thousands of people living in limbo and not able to move on with their lives.  There’s currently a petition to appeal for quicker processing times, which could significantly reduce stress levels. https://www.change.org/p/david-coleman-reduce-processing-time-for-887-pr-visa-to-7-months

On 17/02/2019 at 00:35, zorkor said:

Isn't that a bit harsh? I mean the immigrants are not asking for a free pass, just asking for their right. Its because of people like you who think its normal that the immigration department are taking their sweet time to play with peoples lives. 

It's not a right.   You were never promised that you would definitely get a permanent visa.  The promise was that if you fulfilled the requirements, you could apply for a permanent visa - not that you were guaranteed to get one.  Unfortunately, many people convince themselves otherwise and make decisions as if it was a permanent move.    

It is unacceptable that the waiting times for all visas are so ridiculously long, but petitions are not likely to have any effect. The current government is anti-immigration, so it has no motivation to give the Immigration department funding for extra staffing, which they need because of the number of applications and all the extra work involved in more rigorous security checks. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I assume immigration staffing levels are set based on the number of visas they plan to grant during the program year (of course with some impact from government budgets).  So if the plan is 160,000 then they staff for granting 160,000.  If 500,000 people apply, then of course the processing times for the excess applications will blow out.  It may not be the speed of staff that's the issue, it may be the fact that there are just a lot of people ahead of you in line and you need to wait your turn.  I know that's not what people want to hear when they're waiting for a visa though.  It's similar to going to a popular restaurant on Saturday night....if there are 500 people in line and only 50 tables, then you're in for a long wait.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. I don´nt know if i should hire an agent to do my 887 . I did my 489 myself. I will be overseas while waiting for my 887, dont know if it would be good to have someone inland to help.... what do you think ?

I came to australia 7 august 2017 and i am going overses 23 august 2019. But before that i came 2 times to Australia already with my visa 489. I stayed in different Regional areas in hotels for 40 days total. Do you think I can include those 40 days to my time spent in regional Aus.

tks Good luck !!!

2 hours ago, Iruam said:

Hi Guys. I don´nt know if i should hire an agent to do my 887 . I did my 489 myself. I will be overseas while waiting for my 887, dont know if it would be good to have someone inland to help.... what do you think ?

I came to australia 7 august 2017 and i am going overses 23 august 2019. But before that i came 2 times to Australia already with my visa 489. I stayed in different Regional areas in hotels for 40 days total. Do you think I can include those 40 days to my time spent in regional Aus.

tks Good luck !!!

I'm confused by your meaning.

To satisfy for 887 you need to have worked for a minimum of 12months and have lived in a region for 2 years. You are not allowed to have more than 8 weeks overseas in those 2 years.

Also you have to be in Australia when you apply for the 887 and you have to be living in Australia when it is granted.

When does your visa expire? You have to apply for the 887 before your 489 expires. When it expires, you will automatically be put on a bridging visa. If you then want to go overseas you need to apply to be able to do so. 

On 10/06/2019 at 16:26, mohinkd said:

Hi Experts, 

I got my 489 visa few months back and was trying to plan to travel this november..I need information on bridging visa, will we have bridging visa when our 887 is in process and 489 time is expired, please update...thank you

You get out on a bridging visa while you wait the processing time is 18 months but you still have to abide by the 489 rules while you wait for the 887.