Anyone done the citizenship test recently?

Goochie

My wife and I are about to apply for citizenship and looking online, there seems to be a lot of companies trying to profit from the process by selling lists of hundreds of questions and answers.

Whilst the official Home Affairs website points you toward a simple 2 page practice sheet and have an 84 page PDF on Australian history etc. other websites make it out to me much more involved.

So, for anyone who has done the test recently - How much did the questions differ from what you were expecting? Did anything catch you out? What resources did you use for learning?

The “Common Bond” pdf is split into testable and non-testable so in theory you would only need to read/learn the testable section to pass.
I haven’t done my test yet (we only submitted applications last week) but I also have a citizenship test app on my phone (pretty sure it was free). It seems to be questions that relate to the testable section so hopefully good practice.

There was nothing in the test we took in June that wasn’t in the testable section of the official guide. Many of the online (all free) additional tests I did in preparation had questions that were not in that guide, but it all helped. 

We both scored 100%, we were sat next to each other but when we discussed it afterwards we had some questions the same and some different. They randomly generate a list from a pretty limited stock of questions for each candidate it would appear. 

You do not need to pay for any resource to help you pass.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, burmtra said:

Does anyone know what the current wait time is in Perth from submitting the citizenship application to actually sitting the citizenship test?

Many Thanks

It seems to be there is no set timescale as some who applied later others have had their test first. We applied in Perth on 27th Dec and received our test date on Sept 28th for Oct 8th so nine months after we applied.

• 7 months later...
43 minutes ago, AJ said:

The citizenship test is harder to fail than to pass.  As long as you read the book that is provided you will have no problems.

Recently did 5 of the online ‘mock’ tests to see if I was ready to take the plunge.

Failed 3 outright and passed the other 2 only by desperate random guesses!

That’s after 11 years here!

Didn’t realise that there was a book they provide to help us foreigners. But, on balance, I think it’s probably best that I don’t apply for citizenship any time soon!

2 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Recently did 5 of the online ‘mock’ tests to see if I was ready to take the plunge.

Didn’t realise that there was a book they provide to help us foreigners. But, on balance, I think it’s probably best that I don’t apply for citizenship any time soon!

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview/our-common-bond

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJ said:

Cheers, will have a squizz. Never been totally convinced as to the virtue of taking out citizenship myself, but lots of ex-pat Brits here seem to swear by it. Might cut down on the airport wait times if I have an Australian passport I suppose!

3 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Just had a go at the first 3 tests and the results were: 16/20, 17/20, 17/20.

Not bad after 55 years here...

Cheers, Bobj.

PS there was no citizenship test when I came over in 1963, you just had to reside in Australia for 4 years, then you could apply for citizenship. I got my certificate by mail; no ceremony, no meetings, no handshake.

PSS. When we lived in The Kimberley town of Kununurra, we used to go to the Darwin for shopping etc and on one occasion, went to the Botanical Gardens where a ceremony was being held. There must have been 100 people, all decked out in their finery, each being handed their certificate from the Mayor.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...