prospective marriage visa 300, how to choose wedding date?

Hi guys, my partner and I are applying for the pmv in a couple of months (august) but are stuck on how to choose a wedding date? The aussie gvt website says currently 75% of applicants are processed in 13 months, 95% in 19 months. With the 9 month window to get married once approved, how do I choose a date to get married? It could basically be any time from sept 2019 to dec 2020 :S
It seems that we need the wedding organised with dates, venue and the officiant all booked, right? I'm so worried i'll organise a wedding too late or too early, and not have the visa for it. 

16 hours ago, timandra1991 said:

Hi guys, my partner and I are applying for the pmv in a couple of months (august) but are stuck on how to choose a wedding date? The aussie gvt website says currently 75% of applicants are processed in 13 months, 95% in 19 months. With the 9 month window to get married once approved, how do I choose a date to get married? It could basically be any time from sept 2019 to dec 2020 :S
It seems that we need the wedding organised with dates, venue and the officiant all booked, right? I'm so worried i'll organise a wedding too late or too early, and not have the visa for it. 

No, you don't need to have a venue booked ? All you need is the NOIM (Notice of Intended Marriage), a document filled by the celebrant which does set a date, but that date can be changed depending on when you get your visa. And a lot of celebrants are used to deal with PMVs, so they know the date has to be flexible. In our case our celebrant just put a random date on the NOIM (like a year after lodging date) and asked us to keep her updated so we could change the date if necessary. We only started looking at venues, catering etc once the PMV was granted. 

On 30/06/2018 at 07:57, TheWayOfThePony said:

No, you don't need to have a venue booked ? All you need is the NOIM (Notice of Intended Marriage), a document filled by the celebrant which does set a date, but that date can be changed depending on when you get your visa. And a lot of celebrants are used to deal with PMVs, so they know the date has to be flexible. In our case our celebrant just put a random date on the NOIM (like a year after lodging date) and asked us to keep her updated so we could change the date if necessary. We only started looking at venues, catering etc once the PMV was granted. 

Thanks! I was worried about the date being locked in

Technically, there's no need to worry (if you're an EU citizen at least). You can set your date if you wish, and if the visa isn't approved by then, enter Australia on a regular e-visit visa - have your wedding and head back to your current home country and request your PPM application to be converted to a partnership application. The rules do allow for this. My current understanding is that applications from the UK and EU are currently being processed quite quickly - well within the guidelines. Mine is going to submitted in a week or two, and our wedding is set for February - NOIM in, venue and celebrant all arranged ? - It's wise to have a NOIM and a celebrant sorted before you apply, as the celebrant can provide a letter to include with your application, which is very useful. Immi do ask for any dates you have scheduled for the wedding, so I'm guessing they will at least try and work to that schedule as long as it's reasonable.

We wanted to do it this way to give us a chance to spread the costs of the wedding - and give a chance for people who wanted to come from overseas to have a fixed date to work to for flights etc., but that's just us. You certainly don't have to do it that way - as long as you've got a celebrant and NOIM sorted then you're OK as far as Immi are concerned. 

1 hour ago, HibiscusDreams said:

Mine is going to submitted in a week or two, and our wedding is set for February - NOIM in, venue and celebrant all arranged ? - It's wise to have a NOIM and a celebrant sorted before you apply, as the celebrant can provide a letter to include with your application, which is very useful. Immi do ask for any dates you have scheduled for the wedding, so I'm guessing they will at least try and work to that schedule as long as it's reasonable.

We wanted to do it this way to give us a chance to spread the costs of the wedding - and give a chance for people who wanted to come from overseas to have a fixed date to work to for flights etc., but that's just us

Same boat as you! I lodged our application a month ago and our NOIM is for end of January. We are just keeping things flexible with plans as loose as possible!