Starting school in year 6 and poor English

Margarita

Hello,

My daughter will start school soon and she will be in year 5 for a couple of months and then in January she will start year 6. What I am worried about is that she doesn't know English very well. She can make a simple conversation and read and write a lttle bit but very poorly. Her dictionary is also quite poor. I think the level is between A1 and A2. As you can see, my English is also not perfect ? Will it be very difficult for her in school? She will be in a state school and we are on my husband's 457 viza. What is your experience? How do things happen with older children? Another potential problem is that she will miss her friends and everything at all. If you could tell me how was it with your kids, I will appreciate. Thanks.

She might not catch up at all for the duration of your temporary visa. It rather depends on which state you are going to as to what provision there might be for ESL support. Some places have Intensive English Centres others do ESL support in mainstream. Again, depending on the state, there is no telling how much that will cost you (if anything).