Increased points requirement for skilled visas

The points required to be eligible for a skilled visa are increasing to 65 points from 60 for visa invitations that are issued from the 1st of July, 2018.

Applications lodged in respect of invitations that were issued before this date will remain subject to the current requirement of 60 points.

The subclasses of visa to which this requirement applies are:

• 189, Skilled Independent
  • 190, Skilled Sponsored
  • 489, Skilled Regional Sponsored
  • Like 1

I wonder how this will impact on the waiting list for invitations if they invite up to a 1000 for the firs round, as they have done in previous years.
This will be devastating for people with 60 points. Hopefully most can increase their points.

9 minutes ago, Rasrad said:

I wonder how this will impact on the waiting list for invitations if they invite up to a 1000 for the firs round, as they have done in previous years.
This will be devastating for people with 60 points. Hopefully most can increase their points.

The reality is that for most of the last 12 months invitations to apply for subclass 189 and family sponsored 489 visas have not been forthcoming unless you have 70 points or more.

The people most impacted by the increase to 65 points are those who are seeking State sponsorship of a 190 or 489 visa and can only get to 60 with the points for State sponsorship included.

Best regards.

Hi all, 

Just wondering if submitting the EOI when the points are still 60 with the subsequent increase to 65, will the assessment be conducted based on the point at the submission date of the application process or the new legislation (regardless of when have lodged the application)? 

Thanks!

Regards, 

E

3 minutes ago, EKR said:

Hi all, 

Just wondering if submitting the EOI when the points are still 60 with the subsequent increase to 65, will the assessment be conducted based on the point at the submission date of the application process or the new legislation (regardless of when have lodged the application)? 

Thanks!

Regards, 

E

Sorry - I don't understand the question ...

Best regards.

Hi, 

Sorry for being confusing. So, let's say I apply today when the points are still 60. But they process my application next week when points increase to 65. Do they decline my application because I am short of points at the moment of their assessment or they assess my application against the points that were in force at the date when I actually apply? So, does it mean that even though I applied when the points were low I still will have to satisfy the higher threshold because they change legislation?... 

I hope it makes more sense :)  

To repeat the first post in this thread:

The points required to be eligible for a skilled visa are increasing to 65 points from 60 for visa invitations that are issued from the 1st of July, 2018.

Applications lodged in respect of invitations that were issued before this date will remain subject to the current requirement of 60 points. 

Hi, 

Thanks for pointing out that it is for the invitations. If I am yet to submit my EOI, does it make difference if i do it before they increase the points to 65 considering that at the present moment I only have 60? So, my main concern to get the invitation to apply for the visa will they assess it against 60 points (in force at the date submission of the EOI) or they will apply 65 points anyways? 

I am still at getting the invitation stage... 

Thank you for your help! 

Regards, 

E

2 hours ago, EKR said:

Hi, 

Thanks for pointing out that it is for the invitations. If I am yet to submit my EOI, does it make difference if i do it before they increase the points to 65 considering that at the present moment I only have 60? So, my main concern to get the invitation to apply for the visa will they assess it against 60 points (in force at the date submission of the EOI) or they will apply 65 points anyways? 

Thank you for your help! 

Regards, 

E

No. The eoi will not make any difference. It is the point you actually apply after being invited. If you haven't submitted an eoi yet, then it is fairly certain you will need 65 as a minimum as you won't get an invite and apply before July 1

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:32, EKR said:

Hi, 

Thank you for your help! 

Regards, 

E

This is a nightmare (65 points) only just found out myself

Just now, Lavers said:

Would it be likely that the points would drop again or is the only way up?

Have you seen the threshold at which invites are being issued for subclass 189 and 489 family sponsored visa applications?

There is demand for skilled visas significantly in excess of the number of available visas.

Added to which there is increasing political pressure on the Australian Government to reduce the migration intake.

In short, there is little to no chance of the points threshold being reduced again.

If anything, the trend will be upwards.

Best regards.

On 28/06/2018 at 18:24, EKR said:

let's say I apply today when the points are still 60. But they process my application next week when points increase to 65. Do they decline my application because I am short of points at the moment of their assessment or they assess my application against the points that were in force at the date when I actually apply? So, does it mean that even though I applied when the points were low I still will have to satisfy the higher threshold because they change legislation?... 

You've got to remember there's a difference between the "minimum points required to be eligible" and the minimum points you need to actually get invited.  For the last 12 months or so, there have been so many people with 70+ points, people with 60 or 65 points haven't stood a chance anyway.  So I think this increase in the official minimum is just recognising reality.

I think this is the bit many people aren't aware of:

"The highest ranked clients by points score are invited to apply for the relevant visa. For clients who have equal points scores, the time at which they reached their points score for that subclass (referred to as the date of effect) determines their order of invitation."

Thanks for the info, I have just sat mi ielts so hopefully I will get the superior and put me on 70 points for metal fabricator.

Alan you mention pressure on the government to lower the intake of migrants who is that from? other government members or the public?

9 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Thanks for the info, I have just sat mi ielts so hopefully I will get the superior and put me on 70 points for metal fabricator.

Alan you mention pressure on the government to lower the intake of migrants who is that from? other government members or the public?

Population growth and the livability of Melbourne/Sydney (including the cost of property) is almost a daily issue in the Australian media at the moment.

This raises the issue in the public consciousness, to which our learned friends in Government respond.

Personally I think this is a complete failure on the part of Governments (State and Federal) to plan the infrastructure needed to cope with the country's growing population, but that's a consequence of the 3 to 4 years political cycle, the Federal/State name calling, a dysfunctional Senate, and the short term memories so many have these days and which is exploited by Governments.

The upside is that Federal Government needs the population to increase to keep growing the nation's income - so there's a line to be drawn somewhere.

Good luck with your English test result!

Best regards.

• Like 1

Sorry i've got another question for you Alan.

With the points going up to 65  do you think that the manual trades like mine would see people struggling to get in and numbers dropping?  then in turn the aus government struggling to fill the positions available.

1 minute ago, Lavers said:

Sorry i've got another question for you Alan.

With the points going up to 65  do you think that the manual trades like mine would see people struggling to get in and numbers dropping?  then in turn the aus government struggling to fill the positions available.

I think you should look at a State sponsored visa strategy, where "all you need" (now) is 65 points.

With 65 points and State sponsorship of a 190 or 489 visa you will progress to an invitation.

Visa strategy is crucial for skilled visa applications - and strategy can change during the course of the application process.

A good migration agent will liaise with you as the application progresses.

Best regards.

I constantly feel like I the goal posts are moving. When I started this whole thing off I could have got a 189 with 60 points. However it took me too long to pass the English test. Now I am at this point my only real option is a 489. On the slip side I will get an extra 5 points for my qualification in December and 5 more in 2.5 years.

Just waiting for SA (and other states) to release the new SOL for the 489. 

• Like 1