Moving from uk to Australia

Brents

Hi sorry if this sounds boring to some or seems daft but I have been looking around the internet looking for advice and getting very overwhelmed by the different sites... A friend of mine recommended this site so here’s my situation.

I am 32yrs old my wife is 33yrs old, i have 3 children daughter 11yrs old and 2 sons one 9yrs and other 5months.

I am a hgv diesel mechanic and i have done a online application and get an email back saying with my occupation and having family already in Australia that are willing to sponsor us, the agency are pushing for me to transfer money to them to get things started i have done research about the firm and had both positive and negative reviews does anyone have an idea how much the application process is and hoe long it takes as some sites say years and some say months and like i say it’s getting a little overwhelming but it’s been our dream to move over and family ties are no longer a problem.... any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

38 minutes ago, Brents said:

Hi sorry if this sounds boring to some or seems daft but I have been looking around the internet looking for advice and getting very overwhelmed by the different sites... A friend of mine recommended this site so here’s my situation.

I am 32yrs old my wife is 33yrs old, i have 3 children daughter 11yrs old and 2 sons one 9yrs and other 5months.

I am a hgv diesel mechanic and i have done a online application and get an email back saying with my occupation and having family already in Australia that are willing to sponsor us, the agency are pushing for me to transfer money to them to get things started i have done research about the firm and had both positive and negative reviews does anyone have an idea how much the application process is and hoe long it takes as some sites say years and some say months and like i say it’s getting a little overwhelming but it’s been our dream to move over and family ties are no longer a problem.... any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

Hey! 

My husband is a diesel mechanic also ? If you have a bad feeling about the agent you've seen already then maybe keep looking for an agent who you are more comfortable with. There are some on this forum who you could find and who would be able to help. 

With agent fees + visa fees + police checks and medicals o reckon we have spent close to £6000 but note that this figure is for 2 people on a 190 visa. Your costs will vary with looking into a different visa and having family. 

We made the decision to get the ball rolling last December and just last week submitted our final application and did medicals and police checks. I am hoping to have a grant this year (fingers crossed) so all in all that would take the process timeline to 1 year. Again, this will vary with different visas and circumstances. 

We have used an agent called Sammy Naghi at MSL Solicitors and he is registered MARA (make sure whatever agent you use thst they have their MARA number. If they're not registered then don't use them). 

Hope this helps shed some extra light for you! 

Best of luck x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brents said:

I would be very careful spending money with this agent. If they are pushing you, then personally I would walk away.

It’s worth spending time looking though the different threads on this website to get a better insight into the visa process. Just try posting a few questions and you will be surprised how helpful the PIO community is. It may not be too difficult to just complete the forms yourself as save money, a lot of people do.

Also there are a couple of agents who are regular posters on this forum and they have good reputations. @Alan Collett is always very helpful and would be my agent of choice.

Good luck!

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 1

What exactly are they saying the money is for? Alarm bells would ring with me. 

My husband is A HGV mechanic and we got 457 sponsorship to come out here. It was in 2014 and rules change all the time but ...

The company who sponsored him paid for his 457 & agency fees, we only paid for mine and our sons visas. 

No medicals or police checks we’re required just ticked declaration boxes.

We used Gavin at techsonthemove 

As an HGV mechanic and with bringing out a family ,i would be trying to get PR rather than employer sponsorship if at all possible. A sponsored visa isnt the best for security and would just add unnecessary pressure to an already stressful situation.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

• Like 1

If an agency is getting pushy for money, I'd steer clear. There are several agents who visit these forums, they are all reputable and I'd choose one of them.

There are several different visas, but they boil down to a choice between temporary and permanent.  A temporary visa  is just that - a temp contract with an employer, for either two or four years.  You have to stay with that employer - if you don't like the job, or they go bust, you'll have to go back to the UK early.  It can be a good way to have an adventure, but just make sure the employer is paying your air fares and shipping there and back, otherwise it's an extremely expensive adventure for a family.

It's tempting to go for the temp visa, so you've got a job to come to and get your expenses paid, but I think it's a bad idea with a family.  The 457 visa (which Samlab got) no longer exists, and the government is cutting back on the range and number of visas available, so you'd be taking a risk. It would be awful to uproot your family, bring them to Australia, then all have to go home again in a couple of years.  Much better to apply for a permanent visa now, and wait till it's granted, then you are not disrupting your children's education etc.

• Like 1

I agree with the comments from others about getting permanent residency to come here.  

A 457 has been a pathway for us to get to Australia and weve applied for permanent residency now (were awaiting the outcome) It has all been and still is a bit of a gamble. It was just the best option for us at the time .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, samlab said:

I agree with the comments from others about getting permanent residency to come here.  

A 457 has been a pathway for us to get to Australia and weve applied for permanent residency now (were awaiting the outcome) It has all been and still is a bit of a gamble. It was just the best option for us at the time .

I'm so glad it worked out for you.  As you point out, though, it is a gamble - and it seems as though it has become much more of a gamble in the last few years.  It's one of those situations where just because people have done it successfully in the past, no one should see that as reassuring - because the rules have changed and keep changing, making it tougher for people trying to arrive now.

I am looking for permanent residency as it would not be fair on family to uproot and then have to move back to uk.... thank you for the advice i will look into your suggestions and hopefully be out there soon..... i am looking around perth area near joonaloop as thats where family live now

• Like 1