Moving Home!

Sarahelle

35 minutes ago, tea4too said:

With my pedantic hat on, this section of PIO is titled 'Moving Back to the UK/ UK Chat,'  with its purpose clarified as “Are you an expat in Australia moving back to the UK. Use this forum to discuss the move back…..” which may go some way to explain why Home & Happy is confused that people who do not share his/her experience or views respond negatively to his/her posts.

Personally I take extreme opinions about living in either the UK or Aus with a large pinch of salt. Occasionally I feel the need to challenge an outrageous or misleading statement, but mostly I accept that discouraging people from posting their thoughts doesn’t actually change the way they think, and in all probability a small minority may well share their views. So I’m happy for everyone to post away so long as everyone else can challenge and provide balance where  necessary. The only real issue is those posters who think patronising and rude comments add weight to their argument, when in reality it probably achieves the opposite (and not suggesting anyone has done that in this thread btw). T x

I’m sure you are right, but when certain posters post constant unrealistic posts, then even the most mild mannered of members react occasionally.I have been a member for a very long time and can hardly ever remember anyone bothering to constantly knock UK, it seems more the norm to denigrate Australia. 

I am happy to support anyone who wants to move in either direction, with constructive help and advice, and wish them nothing but happiness in their new lives, but please try to remember that there were hopefully happy times in their previous home.

I think Ali summed it up better than me.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, tea4too said:

With my pedantic hat on, this section of PIO is titled 'Moving Back to the UK/ UK Chat,'  with its purpose clarified as “Are you an expat in Australia moving back to the UK. Use this forum to discuss the move back…..” which may go some way to explain why Home & Happy is confused that people who do not share his/her experience or views respond negatively to his/her posts.

Personally I take extreme opinions about living in either the UK or Aus with a large pinch of salt. Occasionally I feel the need to challenge an outrageous or misleading statement, but mostly I accept that discouraging people from posting their thoughts doesn’t actually change the way they think, and in all probability a small minority may well share their views. So I’m happy for everyone to post away so long as everyone else can challenge and provide balance where  necessary. The only real issue is those posters who think patronising and rude comments add weight to their argument, when in reality it probably achieves the opposite (and not suggesting anyone has done that in this thread btw). T x

I stand corrected on the title I didn’t read the small print.

All I can say is it is a good thing different people like different places otherwise we would all be crammed into the same gorgeous place and it might get rather overcrowded!

Another thing is that we like different things at different times of our lives.  When young we might prefer inner city dwelling but in middle age this might lose its appeal. Some like the beach, some like the forests, some like the city. C'est la vie.

• Like 4

OK ,sorry I have offended anyone, that was never my intention.   

Australia, was very good to us.  Imagine your house increasing almost 4 times in value and what that does to your life..  I have never forgot that its all thanks to Oz.

If you want something else positive about Oz from me... I always admired and respected their government how they looked after their own and how migration was properly controlled.

Also on the plus side we beat the Swedes today....I am extremely happy today what a perfect day in beautiful sunny and hot England. 

• Like 7

Australia has been a good home to me, I've had two babies through excellent Medicare and got married here, unfortunately this is not where my heart is and it was affecting my health.

How I wish I had a house back in the UK to move back to - I really should have.  The move to Australia was so quick my feet didn't touch the ground and in good old hindsight - we should have got my husband a passport since he had had ILR for a few years.  Stupid, but then who knew all the rules would suddenly change.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sarahelle said:

Australia has been a good home to me, I've had two babies through excellent Medicare and got married here, unfortunately this is not where my heart is and it was affecting my health.

How I wish I had a house back in the UK to move back to - I really should have.  The move to Australia was so quick my feet didn't touch the ground and in good old hindsight - we should have got my husband a passport since he had had ILR for a few years.  Stupid, but then who knew all the rules would suddenly change.

If he had ILR, wouildn't he still have it?

9 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

OK ,sorry I have offended anyone, that was never my intention.   

Australia, was very good to us.  Imagine your house increasing almost 4 times in value and what that does to your life..  I have never forgot that its all thanks to Oz.

If you want something else positive about Oz from me... I always admired and respected their government how they looked after their own and how migration was properly controlled.

Also on the plus side we beat the Swedes today....I am extremely happy today what a perfect day in beautiful sunny and hot England. 

I have to say looking at my two daughters ,they are having a great time .

yesterday they were in town ( brum ) , clubbing it , after the game

they seem very happy , especially after we reached the semis .....wimbledon as well ...the weather is a plus

the country is buzzing there is always something going on ....for my daughters anyway ?

feet up for me ....pick and choose my moments now

That is the one thing that we are glad about. When we left the UK we were in a position not to have to sell our place, so we kept it. It has not been easy renting out but now when returning back to the UK to a 3 bed house with no mortgage or rent to pay. We are glad we didn't sell.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, a bit like Permanent Residency in Australia, but I guess the UK doesn't have a RRV process.

It does but it's rarely granted. You have to prove strong ties to UK and having family by marriage is not considered enough. 

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:35, bunbury61 said:

I have to say looking at my two daughters ,they are having a great time .

yesterday they were in town ( brum ) , clubbing it , after the game

they seem very happy , especially after we reached the semis .....wimbledon as well ...the weather is a plus

the country is buzzing there is always something going on ....for my daughters anyway ?

feet up for me ....pick and choose my moments now

UK is great for the young ones...clubs, gigs, festivals, social scene.  Its all here.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am another one who is wanting to go home.  I have never felt settled here.  The more the days pass the more I want to leave.  It will be 30 years in October since we moved down under.  I want to return with my children.  My biggest issues are... the ex husband - he doesn't see the kids at all as he is totally wrapped up in his new life.  The kids will be 14,15 & 17 by the time we go if we do.  And my other stumbling block is my current partner.  He wants to stay here and save up for as long as possible before going over.  Whereas I just want to go!  I am looking at flights now for April next year as I have a wedding to go to.  I don't see the point of going over all that way for a wedding and spending all that money for the 5 of us to only then turn around and come back to Aus for a few more months.  ?

32 minutes ago, TazG said:

I am another one who is wanting to go home.  I have never felt settled here.  The more the days pass the more I want to leave.  It will be 30 years in October since we moved down under.  I want to return with my children.  My biggest issues are... the ex husband - he doesn't see the kids at all as he is totally wrapped up in his new life.  The kids will be 14,15 & 17 by the time we go if we do.  And my other stumbling block is my current partner.  He wants to stay here and save up for as long as possible before going over.  Whereas I just want to go!  I am looking at flights now for April next year as I have a wedding to go to.  I don't see the point of going over all that way for a wedding and spending all that money for the 5 of us to only then turn around and come back to Aus for a few more months.  ?

Hope it all works out for you!  ?  At least your current partner sounds like he wants to go and his plan about saving up seems pretty sound.  Are your children keen?

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

Hope it all works out for you!  ?  At least your current partner sounds like he wants to go and his plan about saving up seems pretty sound.  Are your children keen?

Thanks Toots.  The kids want to go now!! haha they are so excited. I fear that my ex-husband may throw a spanner in the plans.  He has spent zero time with the girls in the past couple of years and spent time with my boy maybe 3 times in a year.  None of them want to see him or go to his.   I think he would attempt to obstruct just to be an ass.  All 3 of them really want to go though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TazG said:

Thanks Toots.  The kids want to go now!! haha they are so excited. I fear that my ex-husband may throw a spanner in the plans.  He has spent zero time with the girls in the past couple of years and spent time with my boy maybe 3 times in a year.  None of them want to see him or go to his.   I think he would attempt to obstruct just to be an ass.  All 3 of them really want to go though. 

Fingers crossed that your ex turns out not to be an ass and you can all go to the UK with no worries.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2018 at 07:08, TazG said:

You should probably get permission to remove them from jurisdiction sorted sooner rather than later because Aussie courts won’t let kids go even if one parent, be they the world’s biggest dropkick, says they may not and the court process can take months/years.  Unfortunately, with kids you don’t have the freedom to just not return from holiday (which is what we did). Good luck!

6 hours ago, paulswin said:

We're almost 50 and hoping to go as soon as house sells here.  We're from Wiltshire too (Swindon).  Looking forward to going back home even though I like Australia but its just not home!

Omg!  I'm from Swindon too!  Which part are you from?  I guess I'm from Wroughton technically but still Swinny ?

I am another one who is wanting to go home.  I have never felt settled here.  The more the days pass the more I want to leave.  It will be 30 years in October since we moved down under.  I want to return with my children.  My biggest issues are... the ex husband - he doesn't see the kids at all as he is totally wrapped up in his new life.  The kids will be 14,15 & 17 by the time we go if we do.  And my other stumbling block is my current partner.  He wants to stay here and save up for as long as possible before going over.  Whereas I just want to go!  I am looking at flights now for April next year as I have a wedding to go to.  I don't see the point of going over all that way for a wedding and spending all that money for the 5 of us to only then turn around and come back to Aus for a few more months.  [emoji53]

We are moving back next month after being in Australia for 13 years. It has been a hard decision. Like many others we have never felt settled and have been home sick since 2008..

I would get legal advice re: ex as a very good friend of ours has just won a 5 year court battle (v traumatic and expensive) to get sole parental responsibility and move back to the uk with her son. Although the child is only aged 7. I understand the courts consider the childs wishes as they get older. Best to cross the ts and dot the is so that your plans to go home are not jepardised at the last minute.

I hope all goes to plan and you make the move without too many hurdles.

16 hours ago, Sarahelle said:

Omg!  I'm from Swindon too!  Which part are you from?  I guess I'm from Wroughton technically but still Swinny ?

No Way!!!!  I was born and raised in Wroughton!!!!!  Lived there until I moved out at age 20!!!   Lived in Greenmeadow and then Haydon End!!!!  Did you go to Ridgeway School??  I've PM'd you!!!!

Edited by paulswin

On Saturday, July 07, 2018 at 14:18, Home and Happy said:

When we first got there the Pound was strong almost 2.5 AUD to the Pound, it was like being wealthy at first...the housing market was very slow and almost unreal, lots of houses, nobody buying, the whole migration thing was not really booming that much either.  It was dead and very backwards.    The pamphlets all the migration agents sent us told a different story.  we thought we were coming to a really happening buzzing place.   The worst part was the isolation from the rest of the world.  Once you're out there, you are really stuck.  Its way too isolated.  wouldn't be so bad if it was alive & happening, but its not.   The UK on the other hand is alive, you feel free and you're right in the centre of the world where all the action is. and its right up to the minute in use of technology.  UK is the best place on the planet to be.

I've never got the isolation argument. Never felt too far away from anywhere. I love WA and Perth is buzzing, it's just that a lot of people sit at home and moan without even going in and giving it a try. 

When me and the wife are off together we make an effort to go in on the bus and train so we don't have to worry about drinking and driving and go try places we've not tried before. There are absolutely heaps of bars and restaurants and Elizabeth Quay is always pretty busy.

Whitfords is fairly close to us too and they've made a magnificent job of the brewery and food venues near the new theatre. It's another place that's always busy and lively. Went to a nice italian there last week, free music from a very good guitarist singer on the stage in the middle, kids running around having a great time on the play equipment, restaurants and bars packed. That's the middle of winter too and we're sat outside. 

Love it down South. Went and stayed in Yallingup a few weeks ago for a few days. Got a great deal in a really good apartment. 2 minutes walk to the pub with free live music every night, good food. Chucked it down just about the whole time we were there but so many wineries, breweries that we weren't bothered. Took the mountain bike and had a couple of great rides on fantastic tracks with no-one else in site. That's one of the things I love, being able to get away from people and crowds.

Heaps to do in WA. Never felt isolated.

I guess you either feel isolated or you don't. We do.

I don't find Perth buzzing, I find it sterile, samey and unimaginative. Once you've done it a few times, it's boring. We've tried to get into everything and some stuff works, but only for a while.

It's like shopping at a supermarket that only sells 10 products. I mean, they're ok things that you like but, hey, ask me again in 12 months.

• Like 1