Moving Home!

Sarahelle

Hey,

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but we're planning on moving back home to the South West of England - now we're not actually moving until the end of next year, but I'm already excited ?

Is that wrong???

For us, we're going home (well, home for me) because we just don't want to still be here going nowhere when we're nearing 50.  The thought that it isn't that far off was a very scary wake up call.

Anyone else joining me on the Big Move around that time?

I'd love to hear from you and where/why you're moving ? xx

• Like 3

Not next year. Thursday!

Good luck with your move. I too feel I have reached “peak Aus” for me. I have had a great run here but the last few years everything has stalled is probably the best way I can describe it. I could stay and drift along but then I would be at tipping point and possibly unable to leave, due to pensions etc.

I’m not returning to where I came from on the grounds it’s an armpit of a place, I’m off to Cheshire! ?

• Like 6

Not next year. Thursday!
Good luck with your move. I too feel I have reached “peak Aus” for me. I have had a great run here but the last few years everything has stalled is probably the best way I can describe it. I could stay and drift along but then I would be at tipping point and possibly unable to leave, due to pensions etc.
I’m not returning to where I came from on the grounds it’s an armpit of a place, I’m off to Cheshire! [emoji4]

You mean the day after tomorrow? Only 2 more sleeps including the one you’re enjoying?

Wow! Sleep well to prepare!!?
  • Thanks 1

Being excited about moving back isn't wrong at all.  We moved back last September, and it is the best thing we've ever done!  It is a bit stressful at the time, and you can't help but wonder if you're doing the right thing, but it is a great feeling when you know you are firm on your decision and you have a date in mind.

Good luck on Thursday Amber Snowball!  Safe flight, hope you settle soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey,
I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but we're planning on moving back home to the South West of England - now we're not actually moving until the end of next year, but I'm already excited [emoji846]
Is that wrong???
For us, we're going home (well, home for me) because we just don't want to still be here going nowhere when we're nearing 50.  The thought that it isn't that far off was a very scary wake up call.
I'd love to hear from you and where/why you're moving [emoji846] xx
Hi,
Yes we are the same :) moving this August... just negotiating the sale of the house and trying not to keel over with the stress... to top things off i have surgery 4 wks before flying home.. and now hubbie has injured knee nd will be doing thre same.. making the most of our private health insurance before we leave lol...

We are excited too although hubbie is getting a bit panicky about the volume of things we need to sell in the next month including boat and car. Lots of garage sales...
  • Like 2

I can relate to your excitement! Where in the South West? We're moving to South Devon next February. I'm planning on a trip over in November to do a schools & houses reccy. Been here 19 years & for me, it's just time (also pushing 50!) There's more to life than beautiful beaches, which is the only benefit to living here imho ... 

Do you have children that are moving with you? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EvieV said:

I can relate to your excitement! Where in the South West? We're moving to South Devon next February. I'm planning on a trip over in November to do a schools & houses reccy. Been here 19 years & for me, it's just time (also pushing 50!) There's more to life than beautiful beaches, which is the only benefit to living here imho ... 

Do you have children that are moving with you? 

I'm originally from Wiltshire so we're looking to stay within that region.  We'll have been here for a just over 9 years by then so 19 - that's a long time.

Yes, we've got two girls aged 4 & 13 months.  I absolutely agree, I was never really a beach person but my husband (Australian) will miss being by the sea.

A recce is a good idea, but I might be going alone first as we have to do the dreaded spouse visa.  Why couldn't just one of his Grandparent's been born in the UK?  

Thanks people for you lovely replies, it's good to know others are planning it too.  It's going to be stressful alright, but so worth it ? xx 

• Like 1

We have decided too that we are making the move back home to the west midlands. We have been in Sydney now for just over 7 year's and feel the time is right for a move. Yes we are excited and keep on talking about the tings we will do. However, there is a fair bit of worry too lol. It is hard to say when we will all be back as we are doing it in stages but hope to be back as a family by Christmas. The eldest son is already back and settled in school and scouts. My wife and two other kids are going back in August so our 9 yer old daughter can start school. We have already got her into a school near our house. I will be finishing things off here to get our appartment ready to rent and then will return to the UK.

When we left the UK we decided not to sell our house. Our three bed house with no mortgage. Now we are returning to it was are so grateful we didn't seel so many years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil & Vikki said:

We have decided too that we are making the move back home to the west midlands. We have been in Sydney now for just over 7 year's and feel the time is right for a move. Yes we are excited and keep on talking about the tings we will do. However, there is a fair bit of worry too lol. It is hard to say when we will all be back as we are doing it in stages but hope to be back as a family by Christmas. The eldest son is already back and settled in school and scouts. My wife and two other kids are going back in August so our 9 yer old daughter can start school. We have already got her into a school near our house. I will be finishing things off here to get our appartment ready to rent and then will return to the UK.

When we left the UK we decided not to sell our house. Our three bed house with no mortgage. Now we are returning to it was are so grateful we didn't seel so many years ago.

well Phil and Vikki , back to kiddy is it ? ?.

my daughter has just bought a flat in Stourbridge , she likes it out there .

great train service for you in kiddy ...jewellery quarter ....worcester ...into brum ...touchwood in Solihull ....i think the Stourbridge or kiddy train goes direct to marylebone station in London

hope the weather holds ....stunning at the moment .

except the grass is starting to turn a nice straw colour

best of luck ?

Just now, bunbury61 said:

well Phil and Vikki , back to kiddy is it ? ?.

great train service for you in kiddy ...jewellery quarter ....worcester ...into brum ...touchwood in Solihull ....i think the Stourbridge or kiddy train goes direct to marylebone station in London

best of luck ?

the chiltern train to london is bloody fantastic value ....two adults ..two kids £50 return ...

Ps get your tube tickets at your local station ....saves a lot of queuing in London

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 05:30, Sarahelle said:

Hey,

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but we're planning on moving back home to the South West of England - now we're not actually moving until the end of next year, but I'm already excited ?

Is that wrong???

I'd love to hear from you and where/why you're moving ? xx

Its not wrong, that place is not all it's made out to be.  Very isolated and about 10 years behind the times.  Its not like its a really bad place or anything, just that UK is just so much better.   Been home for quite a few years now and our time stuck away out there taught us just how good we actually do have back home here.   I am amazed at just how many are moving back.   Its not the big thing it used to be with the younger ones these days...migrating to oz.

Edited by Home and Happy
  • Like 1

well Phil and Vikki , back to kiddy is it ? [emoji2].
best of luck [emoji106]

Yep back to good old Kiddy. The time away has also made us realise that England is not as bad as people make it out to be and that we had a good life there before we left. Stourbridge is a nice pace close enough to the big smoke and to the countryside.

When we moved we wanted something new. A new challenge. To a certain amount we were "fooled" by TV programs and expos about how good life was down under. The fact that you could sell your semi in the UK and buy a 4 bed detached house here (with pool). However, we soon found that was not the case and in places like Sydney, your money does not go far at all.

We are coming back for now due to family issues and the want of again something better. We do not hate Australia and in fact with keeping our place here and renting it out, we may look at returning later down the like. We do have a greater appreciation of the UK and what it has to offer though.

7 hours ago, Phil & Vikki said:

To a certain amount we were "fooled" by TV programs and expos about how good life was down under. The fact that you could sell your semi in the UK and buy a 4 bed detached house here (with pool). However, we soon found that was not the case and in places like Sydney, your money does not go far at all.

I think most others were too. That and the endless sunshine.  In our case we got in early to Oz (applied late 90s) we sold our house in UK and yes back then it did pay for a nice house in a nice part of Perth.  We got in when it was all very cheap compared to UK, we stayed a few years but got out when it hit the peak just by before it all came crashing down to where it is now.. we saw the bubble getting huge and knew a crash was coming so we got out of that place.   Don't forget the government worked very hard to get more tax payers in the door by selling the dream to Europeans and wealthy Asians from Singapore & Hong Kong all done through the internet which was taking off then and through pamphlets and brochures via the migration agents (who made a killing back then)  promising plenty of jobs due to skills shortages, good pay, good lifestyle etc .  The reality was there were too many highly skilled and qualified migrants, too few jobs, overvalued low quality housing, you were isolated from the whole world stuck in a place 10 -15 years behind the times,  lower quality of life than UK and less money in your pocket.   Then it got expensive....oh boy did it get expensive !!!!!    No it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

I think most others were too. That and the endless sunshine.  In our case we got in early to Oz (applied late 90s) we sold our house in UK and yes back then it did pay for a nice house in a nice part of Perth.  We got in when it was all very cheap compared to UK, we stayed a few years but got out when it hit the peak just by before it all came crashing down to where it is now.. we saw the bubble getting huge and knew a crash was coming so we got out of that place.   Don't forget the government worked very hard to get more tax payers in the door by selling the dream to Europeans and wealthy Asians from Singapore & Hong Kong all done through the internet which was taking off then and through pamphlets and brochures via the migration agents (who made a killing back then)  promising plenty of jobs due to skills shortages, good pay, good lifestyle etc .  The reality was there were too many highly skilled and qualified migrants, too few jobs, overvalued low quality housing, you were isolated from the whole world stuck in a place 10 -15 years behind the times,  lower quality of life than UK and less money in your pocket.   Then it got expensive....oh boy did it get expensive !!!!!    No it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  

I do agree about all the guff sold to people over the last decade or so re plenty of jobs blah blah blah.  Many people must be disappointed to find it can take a while to find decent employment once they get here.  I also agree that a large percentage of houses are of low quality.  Can't quite get my head around that.  You would think they would have to pass some sort of quality control by the council or whatever.  Luckily I'm married to someone who has been able to ensure our houses have been up to a decent standard.  Personally I like being isolated from the whole world and I don't care about being behind in the times but I'm old now.  My sons have moved away from Australia to sample living elsewhere and are having a great old time.  I suppose it depends how you shop with regard to expense.  We don't find it that expensive for food and we do quite a bit of online shopping for other 'stuff'.  Just bought duvet covers and towels from M&S.  That also saves me from trawling the awful shopping malls.  I'd be happy if I never had to set foot in a department  store/shopping mall ever again.

• Like 2

Oh yes in the past it did get you a fair bit, but now your penny does not go far at all. We had high expectations when we got here only to have them cut down after a few months of every Saturday looking around places that our money would get us. The funny thing is that if you do not buy it, someone else will here in Sydney. Places that before we would not let our dog stay in (if we had one) we were thinking that may be with a coat of paint we may be abe to live there.

That is one thing I do not see Sydney crashing the same way as what Perth did. However, there are clear signs that the market is slowing down.

When we got here we did notice how far behind the place was generally. They do not tell you that on the shows and at the expos lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phil & Vikki said:

Yep back to good old Kiddy. The time away has also made us realise that England is not as bad as people make it out to be and that we had a good life there before we left. Stourbridge is a nice pace close enough to the big smoke and to the countryside.

When we moved we wanted something new. A new challenge. To a certain amount we were "fooled" by TV programs and expos about how good life was down under. The fact that you could sell your semi in the UK and buy a 4 bed detached house here (with pool). However, we soon found that was not the case and in places like Sydney, your money does not go far at all.

We are coming back for now due to family issues and the want of again something better. We do not hate Australia and in fact with keeping our place here and renting it out, we may look at returning later down the like. We do have a greater appreciation of the UK and what it has to offer though.

as you know I work all over the midlands .

I could put a list of all the place to avoid , as you know .

but equally there are some fantastic places to live ....lots of them , some very close to you .

I go to some fantastic little spots in my job .

thankfully ,its not all inner city brum

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 06:56, Phil & Vikki said:

Oh yes in the past it did get you a fair bit, but now your penny does not go far at all. We had high expectations when we got here only to have them cut down after a few months of every Saturday looking around places that our money would get us. The funny thing is that if you do not buy it, someone else will here in Sydney. Places that before we would not let our dog stay in (if we had one) we were thinking that may be with a coat of paint we may be abe to live there.

That is one thing I do not see Sydney crashing the same way as what Perth did. However, there are clear signs that the market is slowing down.

When we got here we did notice how far behind the place was generally. They do not tell you that on the shows and at the expos lol.

When we first got there the Pound was strong almost 2.5 AUD to the Pound, it was like being wealthy at first...the housing market was very slow and almost unreal, lots of houses, nobody buying, the whole migration thing was not really booming that much either.  It was dead and very backwards.    The pamphlets all the migration agents sent us told a different story.  we thought we were coming to a really happening buzzing place.   The worst part was the isolation from the rest of the world.  Once you're out there, you are really stuck.  Its way too isolated.  wouldn't be so bad if it was alive & happening, but its not.   The UK on the other hand is alive, you feel free and you're right in the centre of the world where all the action is. and its right up to the minute in use of technology.  UK is the best place on the planet to be.

Edited by Home and Happy

3 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

When we first got there the Pound was strong almost 2.5 AUD to the Pound, it was like being wealthy at first...the housing market was very slow and almost unreal, lots of houses, nobody buying, the whole migration thing was not really booming that much either.  It was dead and very backwards.    The pamphlets all the migration agents sent us told a different story.  we thought we were coming to a really happening buzzing place.   The worst part was the isolation from the rest of the world.  Once you're out there, you are really stuck.  Its way too isolated.  wouldn't be so bad if it was alive & happening, but its not.   The UK on the other hand is alive, you feel free and you're right in the centre of the world where all the action is. and its right up to the minute in use of technology.  UK is the best place on the planet to be.

If you keep saying it often enough I might start to believe you.  ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Toots said:

If you keep saying it often enough I might start to believe you.  ?

Sorry didn't mean to touch a nerve....but isn't this a forum for Moving Back to UK..??    I just don't understand why people who are settled (and no doubt happy down under)  feel anger towards anyone who sings the praises of our homeland. Why the need to shut other people down just because you don't agree with them ?  If you are happy down there then that's fantastic. we are all happy for you too...But can we be happy and positive about UK too....?   I mean after all it is a Moving Home To UK forum.  Is that OK or are we just not allowed ?  

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

Sorry didn't mean to touch a nerve....but isn't this a forum for Moving Back to UK..??    I just don't understand why people who are settled (and no doubt happy down under)  feel anger towards anyone who sings the praises of our homeland. Why the need to shut other people down just because you don't agree with them ?  If you are happy down there then that's fantastic. we are all happy for you too...But can we be happy and positive about UK too....?   I mean after all it is a Moving Home To UK forum.  Is that OK or are we just not allowed ?  

You are very welcome to sing the praises of your homeland.  Go for it!  Just don't make rude, exaggerated and insulting comments about Australia, which some of us consider our homeland now.  If I started saying vicious things about England, wouldn't you get upset?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Home and Happy said:

(speaking as a member and not a moderator). Actually, the forum is and always has been  a forum for those wishing to migrate to Aus, this section is just a sub section for those wishing to discuss a move to the UK and get some support.  You are more than welcome to sing the praises of the UK, but your posts are often very derogatory towards Australia and those who have made their home here.  I understand that you were very unhappy with your life in Australia - fair enough but you need to quantify your comments and make them personal to you - not  rude, exaggerated and all encompassing to the whole of Perth/WA and Australia.  I certainly respect your views and opinions even though they differ from my own experience of living in Perth .. perhaps you could afford people the same curtesy? 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Home and Happy said:

I don't feel anger at all  .........................  it's just that you do repeat yourself over and over and over again - gets a bit wearing that's all.  Anyway I'm happy that you're happy.  ?  Don't forget that many of us aren't stuck here.  We do get back to the UK for visits and it is a great place.  So are Italy, France, Canada and many parts of the US.  We are visiting our son in New York later in the year.  Another thing to look forward to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

The forum title is UK chat, not Moving Back to the UK. Or Groundhog Day which could refer to the constant repetition of your posts praising UK and knocking Australia. 

Edited by ramot

52 minutes ago, ramot said:

The forum title is UK chat, not Moving Back to the UK. Or Groundhog Day which could refer to the constant repetition of your posts praising UK and knocking Australia. 

With my pedantic hat on, this section of PIO is titled 'Moving Back to the UK/ UK Chat,'  with its purpose clarified as “Are you an expat in Australia moving back to the UK. Use this forum to discuss the move back…..” which may go some way to explain why Home & Happy is confused that people who do not share his/her experience or views respond negatively to his/her posts.

Personally I take extreme opinions about living in either the UK or Aus with a large pinch of salt. Occasionally I feel the need to challenge an outrageous or misleading statement, but mostly I accept that discouraging people from posting their thoughts doesn’t actually change the way they think, and in all probability a small minority may well share their views. So I’m happy for everyone to post away so long as everyone else can challenge and provide balance where  necessary. The only real issue is those posters who think patronising and rude comments add weight to their argument, when in reality it probably achieves the opposite (and not suggesting anyone has done that in this thread btw). T x

Edited by tea4too
  • Like 2