Back to UK for a visit, which passport?

cheese n pickle

If you’re only going back for a holiday, you can enter UK on your Aus passport. It gets stamped with a 6 month visitor visa at the border. If you’re returning for ever then renew your British passport and enter on that. Personally I always keep both my passports current, just in case!

You can enter the UK on an expired British passport, but you'd need the Aus one to travel.  We did that when we moved back, even though the kids had been babies when their photos were taken, and were 9 and 11 when we returned.  The border guard just made a joke about their photos, and waved us through with a cheery 'Welcome home'!

You can enter the UK on your Aus passport too, it'll just be stamped with something that says you've no recourse to public funds or something.  I can't remember exactly what it says.  We did that when we visited for a holiday once, before we realised we could have entered on our expired UK ones.  That border guard was not so friendly!

Once our UK one expired we just used our Aussie one and never had any issues. We always carry our  expired UK one if going to the UK but have not been asked for it. Using the Aussie one was great at Manchester airport too as the Non EU line was way shorter,lol

Cal x

14 minutes ago, cheese n pickle said:

Thanks Cal, think you've just answered the question I posted to LKC, so arrive on Aus passport and go to non eu queue? think I'll take my UK one as well. cheers 

Yes go Non Eu, we did that at Manchester and Gatwick.

Cal x