457 question

I have a specific 457 visa question I'm hoping someone can answer.

If your 457 was granted in 2017 in JUN/JUL after the government announced its changes ....... would it be a 4 year one leading to PR? Or would it be a 2 year one that doesn't lead to PR?

My understanding is that it could be either. But that the 2 year one was quicker and easier to to get ...... even though you definitely had to leave once it expired.

Can anyone confirm based on personal experience. Not for me as I already have PR and am awaiting citizenship processing. But this questions is to settle a debate I am having with a colleague.

Many thx.

Thanks, Very Stormy. I understand that there is no automatic right of passage to PR from a 457 visa. But, yes, I could have phrased my question better.

What I meant was ......  if someone had been granted a 457 In July 2017 is there a possibility that it was on the basis that (1) it was valid for two years only and (2) it would not allow them to start the PR process at the end of those two years.

I think you have answered the question by stating that the old rules would have applied in July 2017. Meaning a 4 year 457 would have been granted with the possibility to apply for PR after the first two of those years had been reached - eg: by July 2019 should the law not change in the intervening period.

Thx.

On 23/06/2018 at 16:43, copeland52 said:

I have a specific 457 visa question I'm hoping someone can answer.

If your 457 was granted in 2017 in JUN/JUL after the government announced its changes ....... would it be a 4 year one leading to PR? Or would it be a 2 year one that doesn't lead to PR?

My understanding is that it could be either. But that the 2 year one was quicker and easier to to get ...... even though you definitely had to leave once it expired.

Can anyone confirm based on personal experience. Not for me as I already have PR and am awaiting citizenship processing. But this questions is to settle a debate I am having with a colleague.

Many thx.

It depend on what date they lodged the subclass 457 visa. If the application was lodged before the 18th of April 2017, they may have a pathway to PR through transitional arrangements. Best to run your case by an Agent.