Citizenship Inquiry

u3m

Hello Guys,

I have an inquiry.

1. Lets say,  one came to Australia holding PR by 1 Jan 2014. Than after one month left Australia 

2. Than came back after eight months to Australia in October and stayed there permanently with 2-3 weeks of absence from Australia each year.

So for the above case is one eligible to apply for citizenship by 1 Jan 2018 ?

Thanks and looking for your kind support

You can use January 2014 as your first entry date so you may be able to apply on the 2nd January 2018. I say might because if all you absences add up to more than 365 days they you will need to add some time on.

so if absences add up to less than 365 days you are good to go.  If they add up to 375 then you can apply on 2nd Jan 2018 plus 10 days so the 12th, if you get what I mean.

At any point you are looking back over the last 4 years to satisfy the criteria.

Thank a  lot for your response, rammygirl. 

I get most of it for what you have said. But still have some confusion:

For the case, one being in Australia from Jan 2014- Jan 2018 --- Total Absence= (375 days)

1. Spend 10 days more and apply for immigration by Jan 12, 2018 ?

2. Or the new time frame will start from 1 Oct, 2014- 1 Oct, 2018 because the law is to be present in Australia atleast 3 out of 4 years. 

I hope I had addressed my concern appropriately.

Three out of the most recent four years, so look back from the day you intend to apply. You can use the calculator on the home affairs website. Be cautious with the days, they have exact records, best apply a few days after you think you qualify to be safe.