packing sea container experience

Cegor

the day is soon approaching for the movers to come to my house and start packing my belongings. The schedule I was given was : June 28 -they come and pack and June 29 -is loading up the sea container. 

For those that have gone thru this experience, can you please share them with me. I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment dealing with decisions on my own as hubby is already in Oz and i'm still in Canada. 

On the day of the packing I was told they would send maybe 4 people to pack the house.....I live in a two story house with a basement so things/belongings are in three levels. Questions I'm pondering: is it a good idea to be by myself the day they come? or do I need to 'recruit' my in-laws to come keep me company that day? They can't do anything if my stuff is being packed by the movers. So for those that have gone thru the experience and chaos of it all....can you please share how it all unfolded the day of?

My in-laws live about an 1 1/2 drive so I feel weird asking them for them to come just to sit and look if they can at all sit as the movers will be packing the couch etc. How did you do it? did you have relatives with you or were you on your own?

plus they can't stay the night with me if I need them the next day....so means they would have to drive again the distance just to be here with me.

I was told by the shipping company that they need to pack the belongings not me. To what extent can I pack some things ahead of time thus making sure the movers don't mess up?

I have had to show my house as it will be rented out (we are still trying to find renters) so I take stuff out to check what needs to be de-clutter, binned, donated, to be sold, take.....then I have to put it all away once the property management guy tells me he has viewings for the house....so it's been pretty challenging keeping the house tidy.

I'm feeling really overwhelmed by it all. My folks have been kind enough to come from another city to stay with me in this whole process but they do have their lives and so they're heading back tomorrow which means I will be by myself thru this whole move.

My friends have their lives and work lives so I can't bother them to take time off to come be with me. Being that it will be Thursday and Friday.

Is it ok for me to be on my own trying to manage the guys that will be packing my belongings? or being that there are 3 levels to the house (counting the basement) would I need help from in-laws?

feeling down by it all.....

HELP! ...would love to hear what others have experienced. sorry if i'm all over the map with my post. 

ps....I so admire those that moved with children and pets....I really don't know how you did it! but kudos to you all out there ?

They should be professional. You will be fine.  Just make sure you are clear what they need to pack.  I labelled things that were not to go with post it notes.  I also showed them when they arrived by room what was to be done and asked them to check with me if they were unsure. 

Best to put anything you do NOT want them to pack in one room and make this clear.

I have overseen three international moves on my own, they prefer you not to pack anything yourself, but are grateful for clear guidance.

Edited by rammygirl

I agree with rammygirl, when I relocated to Canada. The movers were very professional and efficient and very quick, in and out with a few hours. I was slightly concerned that things did not get packed as I would have done, but in the end no broken goods. I could not have done what they done in the timeframe.

Just ask them if they need a tea/coffee/water when they arrive. Small things!

Hi Cegor:

You're worrying unnecessarily.

My husband and I went through the whole packing up experience three weeks ago and it was a thoroughly enjoyable process which went like clockwork.  Okay, I wasn't on my own, as my husband was there throughout the three days of packing (including loading our 40ft container on the afternoon of the third day), but it wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't been there.  It's not like you have to entertain your packers or make conversation with them, because they're there to work, so the best thing you can do (in my experience) is, once you've shown them through all the rooms containing your household belongings you want to ship, is to stay in the background but not actually in the rooms they're working in, as they need to get on with their job and the quicker it gets done, the better for all concerned.

I said from the start that if they wanted tea, coffee, juice or water at any time, just to sing out and  I'll be more than happy to get busy in the kitchen, which they all really appreciated - as packing is very warm work at the pace they go.   I also asked if they'd like me to make up sandwiches for lunchtime which they were more than chuffed about, otherwise they'd have popped out to the local bakery and bought themselves a pie or pasty.  I was more than happy to make myself useful by seeing to their sandwiches and tea/coffee/juicer etc and they all made themselves nice and comfy on the floor in the lounge for the 20 minutes or so they stopped for lunch, surrounded by mountains of boxes, which got higher and denser over the three days they were there.  

They were a great team of guys and were so friendly and cheerful all the while they worked, and boy! did they work.

It was a terrific experience and also quite emotional on the last day, as all our worldly goods were loaded onto the container at the kerbside and, after the doors were locked and Customs seals fixed and photographed by one of our packers, we all stood and watched as the truck carrying our container pulled away from outside our house and moved off down the road until it was out of sight, knowing the next time we see our belongings would be at the Port of Adelaide at the end of the long ocean jouirney in July or early August.

So don't worry, Cegor.  It'll all be absolutely fine!  Trust me.

Just keep that kettle boiling!

Best wishes, barbh

Edited by barbaitch
  • Like 1

Agree with the above. They will do their job, just give them clear instructions about any items you want them to take care over etc and on things you don't want packed and shipped (and better to put that in a separate room clearly marked) and let them get on with it. Offer them a coffee and just be around in case they need you. 

I really don't think you need anyone else with you on the day as they won't be able to do anything. Packers will pack, not you or any family. 

I sat in the front garden and supervised while drinking tea?

Out of their way but available for questions.

They were very good at their jobs and it went very smoothly, good luck.

PS - make sure you grab your passport before it gets packed?