UK economy slowing.

Sandgroper

10 hours ago, newjez said:

Of course it does. They try and match the points system to areas where there is a shortage of workers.

Holding my breath here - but surely you must be able to understand that just letting people apply for those jobs directly would be a hell of a lot simpler and more efficient than using a points system? I'm mean, come on. Work with me here. Points systems are terrible. For example - you may need a performance DBA skilled with fine tuning websites on SQL Server. The points system will keep pulling in DBAs until finally you may get one you want, and all the others will struggle to get jobs. Just let the people with the skills apply for the job which requires their skills, and let the people hiring choose who they want for the job. Why use this antiquated system of 'control' which just annoys everyone.

Sounds fine but can you imagine the number of applicants and then the hours needed by company HR to check on qualifications, experience, references. Then they would probably have to wait 6 months for them to get a visa. No face to face interview, always risky. Never get a feel for anyone until you can meet them and have a chat. You wouldn't have a clue whether they would fit into the team.

The points system puts the onus on the person applying to get their quals ratified, medicals done, resume updated, references sorted and everything stamped by a lawyer or someone in authority.

Once they are in and you interview them you are pretty sure they are serious about wanting the job and staying too. Not just some fly by night who might change their mind.

You might get a few too many at times but that's not a bad thing if the economy keeps growing. You can guarantee the ones that get in have good quals and experience too, or they wouldn't have made the points.

I think the point system works pretty well.