Australian income tax

Fisher1

Neither, the best way to submit your tax return is online.  If you do it online, you'll find that some information - like interest from your banks - has already been filled in for you, which saves time.

If you prefer to do it hard-copy, you just use a blank form - the tax office doesn't send out forms with your name on it.   It used to be that most newsagents would have copies - it's in the form of a booklet, containing all the instructions and the blank form.  Because so many people do it online now, I haven't seen so many copies in newsagents but I'm sure they're still around.  Last resort - ring up the tax office and ask them to send you one.

• Like 1

I'd certainly go through a tax agent for your first tax return for the reasons given by Alan Collett.  Online in subsequent years may be perfectly appropriate once you've seen how deductions and rebates can be applied.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Au contraire!

The best way to submit your tax returns is through a registered tax agent, who should be able to optimise your tax deductions and reduce the tax payable.  ?

And you should get more time to lodge your returns if you appoint a registered tax agent.

Best regards.

Well yes, I did contact a registered tax agent several weeks ago, but they didn't get back to me. I'll have to try again.

5 hours ago, Skani said:

I'd certainly go through a tax agent for your first tax return for the reasons given by Alan Collett.  Online in subsequent years may be perfectly appropriate once you've seen how deductions and rebates can be applied.

Actually had no intention of doing it myself - just didn't know how the process started over here. Thanks for your reply ? 

We did our own first returns, but we had taken advice from Alan.

We established that if you are are an Australian Tax Resident that any winnings from residual UK premium bonds are all taxable like bank interest ?

Edited by Ferrets
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferrets said:

We did our own first returns, but we had taken advice from Alan.

We established that if you are are an Australian Tax Resident that any winnings from residual UK premium bonds are all taxable like bank interest ?

Yes we had advice from Alan before we came out. I fully intend to use an accountant first time at least, just wasnt sure how the process started ... UK tax have been incredibly helpful ... I take back all the rude things i said about them ? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Well yes, I did contact a registered tax agent several weeks ago, but they didn't get back to me. I'll have to try again.

My mum cleans the offices of a local tax agent and they nearly all take time off in June to recharge their batteries before it gets crazy busy from July onwards.   The deadline for either lodging a DIY return or being signed up with a tax agent is 31 October.  https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Lodge-with-a-registered-tax-agent/

• Like 1