Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Perthbum

World Cup Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

For you maybe. I've watched a fair bit of the World Cup. Got up at 2 to watch the England game last night. Good effort but ran out of ideas. But honestly exciting? No. I was hoping for no rxtra time as I wanted to go back to bed. How many shots at goal were there from either side? Not that many.

I watched the Eagles beat GWS at the weekend and I was on the edge of the settee for the whole game. Excitement yes? and a good result.

Can't see Croatia beating France but you never know. Probably be flicking between that and wimbledon if it's not on too late.

We are all different, this world cup for me has the best ever....AFL for me is soooo boring.


Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

We are all different, this world cup for me has the best ever....AFL for me is soooo boring.

I think it's been an excellent world cup and agree with others that the England team have shown some potential and a cohesiveness that hasn't been apparent before.  Rio Ferdinand said that it used to be that when on England duty you stuck with your own team mates.  Englands youth teams have achieved a lot this past couple of years on their international stages - so managed right there could be some good years coming.  I think it's been exciting them reaching the semi's.

I have to agree with AFL - I really can't get into it and we don't even watch the grand final.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
By far the majority.


and some Irish....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2018 at 23:16, Gbye grey sky said:

So we only faced 3 teams with a bit of quality.  Lost to Belgium.  Drew with Columbia (win on penalties).  Lost to Croatia.  Sweden are a workmanlike side much like England so they overcame that challenge.

England are the best team in the world - at passing the ball back to the keeper for a big hoof upfield hoping to pick up the scraps.  And we looked threatening at dead ball situations worked out on the training field, though lacking the subtlety that Croatia demonstrated at their set pieces.

A favourable draw helped this side to progress beyond their capabilities essentially.  The England side of 1990 were unlucky to lose out in the semis but this side were lucky to have got this far.  I suspect all of this will get lost in the hype.

lol.......you cant hide it can you......lol

let it go......let go all that angst and anti English sentiment that festers within.

Passing back to the keeper and a long ball hoof......what teams have you been watching? I think if you had actually taken the time to watch England in this World cup you would have noticed them playing out from the back......Harry Maguire is being lorded in the press and from the pundits for this part of his game......c'mon wake up and get with the program......6-1 against Panama? how many other teams put 6 past an opponent?

If you genuinely new anything about the beautiful game you would have realised that the victory over Columbia was a huge result under extremely difficult circumstances......not many teams could have handled that pressure and injury time setback and still come out on top.......Sweden lost to the Germans from a last minute free kick then went on to beat Mexico 3-0......we beat them with ease......Sweden beat France to Qualify 2nd in their qualifiers, they then beat Italy over 2 legs to qualify for the world cup......I think you are being a little harsh on Sweden here my knowledgeable friend.

Yeh.....if you really had any idea about football you would realise it is not as black and white as you like to portray......games at this level are decided on small details, had we taken just one of the other 3 or 4 clear cut scoring chances we had in the first half against Croatia we would have taken a 2-0 lead into half time and teams just do not come back from that......Stick to the kids cricket mate, you wont embarrass yourself as much that way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kungfustu said:

lol.......you cant hide it can you......lol

let it go......let go all that angst and anti English sentiment that festers within.

Passing back to the keeper and a long ball hoof......what teams have you been watching? I think if you had actually taken the time to watch England in this World cup you would have noticed them playing out from the back......Harry Maguire is being lorded in the press and from the pundits for this part of his game......c'mon wake up and get with the program......6-1 against Panama? how many other teams put 6 past an opponent?

If you genuinely new anything about the beautiful game you would have realised that the victory over Columbia was a huge result under extremely difficult circumstances......not many teams could have handled that pressure and injury time setback and still come out on top.......Sweden lost to the Germans from a last minute free kick then went on to beat Mexico 3-0......we beat them with ease......Sweden beat France to Qualify 2nd in their qualifiers, they then beat Italy over 2 legs to qualify for the world cup......I think you are being a little harsh on Sweden here my knowledgeable friend.

Yeh.....if you really had any idea about football you would realise it is not as black and white as you like to portray......games at this level are decided on small details, had we taken just one of the other 3 or 4 clear cut scoring chances we had in the first half against Croatia we would have taken a 2-0 lead into half time and teams just do not come back from that......Stick to the kids cricket mate, you wont embarrass yourself as much that way.

Look, they gave it a good go and did well.......but I know that myopic fans are quite unable to see the obvious gulf in class between the Croatia and England players particularly after the first half.

By all means replay the match and count the number of times England laid the ball back to Pickford to be hoofed upfield.....and count the number of times Croatia did likewise.

Look at the variety of approaches at corner kicks from Croatia and contrast this with England who set up identically every single time.

And teams do come back from 2-0, it happened in this World Cup.  The mantra that if we had scored another goal we might have won is so lame.  In a knockout football game the better team can lose for sure - happens all the time - so England could have won this.  But once Croatia equalised England were essentially hanging on for penalties as Croatia created so many opportunities to score and England nothing.  They were found out.

England looked really good in open play for the first 20 minutes or so of the Tunisia game without finishing off some good moves but never really found that level again.  The scoreline against Panama flattered to deceive.

  • Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kungfustu said:

lol.......you cant hide it can you......lol

let it go......let go all that angst and anti English sentiment that festers within.

Passing back to the keeper and a long ball hoof......what teams have you been watching? I think if you had actually taken the time to watch England in this World cup you would have noticed them playing out from the back......Harry Maguire is being lorded in the press and from the pundits for this part of his game......c'mon wake up and get with the program......6-1 against Panama? how many other teams put 6 past an opponent?

If you genuinely new anything about the beautiful game you would have realised that the victory over Columbia was a huge result under extremely difficult circumstances......not many teams could have handled that pressure and injury time setback and still come out on top.......Sweden lost to the Germans from a last minute free kick then went on to beat Mexico 3-0......we beat them with ease......Sweden beat France to Qualify 2nd in their qualifiers, they then beat Italy over 2 legs to qualify for the world cup......I think you are being a little harsh on Sweden here my knowledgeable friend.

Yeh.....if you really had any idea about football you would realise it is not as black and white as you like to portray......games at this level are decided on small details, had we taken just one of the other 3 or 4 clear cut scoring chances we had in the first half against Croatia we would have taken a 2-0 lead into half time and teams just do not come back from that......Stick to the kids cricket mate, you wont embarrass yourself as much that way.

I smiled at this.  You feel that I was being harsh on Sweden because I compared them to England.


Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 13/07/2018 at 08:10, ali said:

I think it's been an excellent world cup and agree with others that the England team have shown some potential and a cohesiveness that hasn't been apparent before.  Rio Ferdinand said that it used to be that when on England duty you stuck with your own team mates.  Englands youth teams have achieved a lot this past couple of years on their international stages - so managed right there could be some good years coming.  I think it's been exciting them reaching the semi's.

I have to agree with AFL - I really can't get into it and we don't even watch the grand final.

Do you know AFL is the 4th most attended sports league in the world ?

For a small country and a non international sport, that is pretty amazing.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Look, they gave it a good go and did well.......but I know that myopic fans are quite unable to see the obvious gulf in class between the Croatia and England players particularly after the first half.

By all means replay the match and count the number of times England laid the ball back to Pickford to be hoofed upfield.....and count the number of times Croatia did likewise.

Look at the variety of approaches at corner kicks from Croatia and contrast this with England who set up identically every single time.

And teams do come back from 2-0, it happened in this World Cup.  The mantra that if we had scored another goal we might have won is so lame.  In a knockout football game the better team can lose for sure - happens all the time - so England could have won this.  But once Croatia equalised England were essentially hanging on for penalties as Croatia created so many opportunities to score and England nothing.  They were found out.

England looked really good in open play for the first 20 minutes or so of the Tunisia game without finishing off some good moves but never really found that level again.  The scoreline against Panama flattered to deceive.

Make your mind up.....is it the Croatia game that bothers you so much or their performances generally in this world cup?

Whatever it is......your comments on the way England have played and performed are not only laughable but completely inaccurate.....anyone with an ounce of football savvy can see that......I could waste my time pointing out facts and stats but what would be the point......someone so bitter and anti English is not for turning......so you crack on......World cups nearly over so you can return to your Brexit bitch fest LOL and leave the rest of us to enjoy this moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Make your mind up.....is it the Croatia game that bothers you so much or their performances generally in this world cup?

Whatever it is......your comments on the way England have played and performed are not only laughable but completely inaccurate.....anyone with an ounce of football savvy can see that......I could waste my time pointing out facts and stats but what would be the point......someone so bitter and anti English is not for turning......so you crack on......World cups nearly over so you can return to your Brexit bitch fest LOL and leave the rest of us to enjoy this moment.

Hope I haven’t spoilt it for you.  Enjoy!

 


Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Parley said:

Do you know AFL is the 4th most attended sports league in the world ?

For a small country and a non international sport, that is pretty amazing.

No I didn't know that about AFL … and knowing it now doesn't make me like it any better

  • Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2018 at 07:34, unzippy said:

Was it worth getting up at 4AM for - probably.

Was it more entertaining than AFL - oh yes!

There's no need to see AFL (or RL for that matter) as the enemy. One of the bonuses of living in OZ is having four professional football codes to follow. I'm postponing going out for dinner to watch the end of Giants v Richmond as I type. Sydney's second team, the Giants and some of my friends are at the game. Later on I shall watch  Spurs v Spurs (England v Belgium).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Hope I haven’t spoilt it for you.  Enjoy!

 

I see it for what it is......just plain old sh#t stirring.....you can't help yourself......given the choice who's opinions would anyone choose to take on board.....ex pro's.....club & international managers.....pundits.....media.....kids cricket coach.......tax inspector/ex pat.......who do you think is more capable of offering a credible and accurate assessment of a Football teams performances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ali said:

No I didn't know that about AFL … and knowing it now doesn't make me like it any better

This isn’t America, and ignorance is not a virtue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This isn’t America, and ignorance is not a virtue!



That’s actually funny. Glad to see your funny bone. Given that Aussies seem to want to ape Americans (bigger, louder, brasher, more aggressive) - dumbing down wouldn’t be far behind - take the news broadcasts, for instance, absolute rubbish.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ssiri said:

 

 


That’s actually funny. Glad to see your funny bone. Given that Aussies seem to want to ape Americans (bigger, louder, brasher, more aggressive) - dumbing down wouldn’t be far behind - take the news broadcasts, for instance, absolute rubbish.

 

 

Not the news I’m listening to.  ABC NewsRadio, SBS, ABC National, The Guardian, etc etc.  Agree commercial stuff is rubbish.  Now back to the topic at hand..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bulya said:

This isn’t America, and ignorance is not a virtue!

I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment

  • Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ali said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment

Don't worry about it. Ignorance may not be a virtue, but Ignorance is Bliss.

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't worry about it. Ignorance may not be a virtue, but Ignorance is Bliss.



Certainly when it comes to the AFL, never a truer word spoken.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Congrats to France. Some hard luck on Croatia in that final but the French probably deserved it over the tournament.

Edited by s713
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No more from the pathetics eg. Antoine Griezmann.  These girlie boys need testosterone injections... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2018 at 00:51, Parley said:

Do you know AFL is the 4th most attended sports league in the world ?

For a small country and a non international sport, that is pretty amazing.

Most attended Sports Leagues From Around The World

1. NFL or National Football League

2. German Bundesliga

3. US College Football Division I FBS

4. English Premier League

 

  • Sad 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, s713 said:

Congrats to France. Some hard luck on Croatia in that final but the French probably deserved it over the tournament.

Yes I dont think anyone would disagree with that.....the French and the Belgium's were the 2 best teams in the tournament.....either of them would have been worthy winners.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×