Old permanent visa

Pneill

Hi I wondering if I can get some more info on an old permanent residency visa. Its says if you had a pr visa and u left Australia whilst the visa was still in issue and it wasn't cancelled and you have been out of Australia more than 5 years and you have ties and family in australia u can maybe re apply. Is this the case as my sister was on my mother's pr visa and passport at the time and the visa ran out 1992 but my sisters father still lives their could she reapply for one.? 

She can always apply for a new PR visa if she meets the criteria for one.  But I think what you're referring to is the Resident Return Visa (RRV).  A RRV may be granted to a PR visa holder whose travel rights have expired.  Whether she will be granted one will depend if she can demonstrate strong ties to Australia that are of benefit to the country.  She's been gone 26 years though so whether that's too long a gap to be considered is hard to say.  May be worthwhile for her to speak with a registered migration agent so they can assess her situation, give an idea of her prospects and if she chooses to proceed, help her put together a compelling application.

Maggie raises some valid points. Given the length of time she has been out of Australia, she may well be advised to consult a decent agent about lodging an RRV application. If she doesn't have a strong case, she may need some help to compile a decent case. 

It could be though that after 26 years, that door on an RRV is well and truly closed.