Mass housing development in the UK ?

Red Rose

Back in the UK on holiday at the moment. This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but here goes... 

My parents live in a rural part of East Sussex surrounded by farm land,  so they're very lucky to have such a feeling of space around them. 

However, since I've got back I've noticed signs of mass housing development everywhere.  

Now I know we need more houses,  but it's depressing to me seeing these massive developments of several hundred plus houses being built on greenbelt land or in little villages.

Britain is known for its beautiful countryside,  but I guess the need or sense of entitlement for every man and his dog to own or be given a house takes precedence over something so trifling as preserving our areas of natural beauty.  

I think housing is in shortage everywhere, UK/Australia and many other countries. There are simply not enough houses for people and that has to be addressed.  I too live surrounded by countryside and everyone is up in arms about all the building going on. I watched something on tv recently about it and one of the arguments was there won't be any fields/greenland left soon. That argument was soon shot down. I can't remember the exact figure but it was something like 85% of the uk is green, i.e. not built on.  I reckon that's true too as if you drive about the country you will see far more green than not and if you all remember when you look out the window on the plane as you approach London or wherever almost all you will see is those lovely patchwork fields of green. None of us want all this building going on and I think we all use the line of they'll be no countryside left soon but that's not true.

• Like 1

I said the same after we visited last year. The area i grew up with its open fields and grazing pastures was just full of houses. It was sad to see the fields we ran and played in, rode horses in etc almost all gone. Being 'out of town' i think i just expected it to remain as fields and grazing land, even the old derelict rail way that was a walking and riding path was built on in parts. 

Cal x

I work in schools in the UK and this is causing issues for us. All our schools are already over capacity. We can't physically fit anymore kids into the rooms and all the rooms are being used. One primary schools and a secondary school is getting an extension but the extra capacity will soon be filled and more housing developments in the area have been approved.

57 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I work in schools in the UK and this is causing issues for us. All our schools are already over capacity. We can't physically fit anymore kids into the rooms and all the rooms are being used. One primary schools and a secondary school is getting an extension but the extra capacity will soon be filled and more housing developments in the area have been approved.

A big problem is with extra housing is lack of infrastructure which has been a major problem for last 30 years , even though councils charge developers ( extra on top of standard fees ) for every house they give planning for. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Back in the UK on holiday at the moment. This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but here goes... 

My parents live in a rural part of East Sussex surrounded by farm land,  so they're very lucky to have such a feeling of space around them. 

However, since I've got back I've noticed signs of mass housing development everywhere.  

Now I know we need more houses,  but it's depressing to me seeing these massive developments of several hundred plus houses being built on greenbelt land or in little villages.

Britain is known for its beautiful countryside,  but I guess the need or sense of entitlement for every man and his dog to own or be given a house takes precedence over something so trifling as preserving our areas of natural beauty.  

Especially when there are so many brown field sites around. Shoreham cement works are a classic example.

I was brought up in London after the second World War and was at Primary School in the 50s.  Typically there were 40-45 pupils per class. We had an excellent education and fantastic teachers.  Money was very, very short and equipment was sadly lacking but the standard of teaching was very high.  That is the important thing I think - not loads of money and fancy stuff!

• Like 1

Just now, Toots said:

My sister lived in London (Putney) for 40 years and was never mugged or robbed.  I couldn't live there but it's a great place to visit.  

Times change have you seen the murder rate this year? Gangs on mopeds robbing people in broad daylight, acid and knives seem to be the weapon of choice.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/06/2018 at 13:38, newjez said:

I worry about taking mine there to visit.

Pleased to report my daughter and partner have just returned from 4 days in London and had a great time ....  no mugging, assault or theft , plenty of great vegan food, markets, pubs, theatres, jewels and ☀️ 

• Like 1

biggest worry is losing the kids. London is so busy. Jumping on a packed tube with three kids is a bit of an art form.

more worried about pick pockets than getting mugged - I wouldn't go anywhere I'm likely to get mugged.

Terror attacks are always on your mind. Unlikely I know. The IRA will probably start blowing stuff up next if brexit doesn't go their way.

Not to mention all the random nut jobs that frequent the capital, though we don't usually go near the houses of parliament.