Moving to Oz

Em33

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice. My partner has been offered a job in Australia. We have 3 children 1,3 and 7. I’m really unsure whether making the move to Australia is the right thing for the kids or will we end up regretting it? Is there anyone else that’s been in this position. It’s a really exciting opportunity but I just worry about the children settling in there.

many thanks 

1 hour ago, Em33 said:

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice. My partner has been offered a job in Australia. We have 3 children 1,3 and 7. I’m really unsure whether making the move to Australia is the right thing for the kids or will we end up regretting it? Is there anyone else that’s been in this position. It’s a really exciting opportunity but I just worry about the children settling in there.

many thanks 

Is it a permanent job? Does he qualify for a permanent vias? Or would it just be a temporary move?

At that age, the kids will settle and eventually make new friends, so I wouldn't worry about that.   There are lots of much more important questions.   

If it's just a temporary contract with a temporary visa, then it's a great opportunity for an adventure.  The children will get a chance to live a different lifestyle in a different culture, and that's always good.  Just make sure the company will be paying your air fares there and back, your shipping costs there and back, and temporary accommodation for 2 or 3 weeks when you first arrive, while you look for a home.    If you have to pay for those things yourself, it becomes a very expensive adventure!   Don't sell your home, rent it out.

If they're saying, "It's a temp visa to start, but you will be able to stay permanently", don't believe them.  Permanent visas are hard to get now and about to become harder. There is absolutely NO guarantee that you'll be able to get one.  Employers don't have a magic wand, whatever they claim.  Make your decision as if it's just the temp visa (see above).  Then, if by some fluke you do get a permanent visa at the end, that's a bonus.

If it's a permanent job and your oh will be applying for a permanent visa, that's a different conversation.  The only thing I would say is, if you are not enthusiastic, please don't sacrifice your feelings "for the sake of the kids".  Saying Australia is "better for children" is a load of old cobblers. Australia has pro's and con's  for kids, but then so does the UK, or any other civilised country for that matter. There are so many variables, it's impossible to say one country is better than the other.  The old "better future for the kids" mantra comes from the days when Australia was a new and developing country, it's not that clear-cut any more. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Em33 said:

Hi,

many thanks 

Any particular reason you think the children won’t “settle in there”?

12 hours ago, Em33 said:

Hi,

many thanks 

I agree with what Marissa says.  Don't worry about the children.  They are very young and at the age where they would settle anywhere as long as they are with happy parents.  It sounds as if you are not 100% enthusiastic about the move.  Time to talk seriously with your husband as it is a very big decision to make.  If it is a temporary contract, don't sell your house and treat the experience as an adventure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Em33 said:

........ My partner has been offered a job in Australia. We have 3 children 1,3 and 7. I’m really unsure whether making the move to Australia is the right thing for the kids or will we end up regretting it? Is there anyone else that’s been in this position.......

Well yes....thousands of parents with children have moved and have wondered the same thing.     Where in Australia will you be living?  That could be a major factor in how well you settle.

• Like 1

Agree with the others, kids of that age, especially the youngest 2 should settle fine. So long as the familiar faces of Mum and Dad are around, younger ones are usually happy. 7 should settle but of course is a bit more aware, the whole new school, new friends but once they've found their feet they usually do well. If you are committed and supportive, hopefully that helps things also. 

What does concern me more is if *you* really want to make this move. And is it a temp visa or PR? If temp, treat it that way, have an adventure and know you'll be back in a few years. But amazing opportunity for the kids to live life elsewhere for a few years. If its PR, then don't do it unless its what you and you husband both really want, to migrate and build a new life for yourselves the other side of the world. 

FWIW, our son was 5 when we made the move. Has loved it since we arrived and is happy as anything. Neither myself or my husband have struggled either. We both wanted to make the move and were totally committed to it. 

From the sound of it with your DH having been “offered a job” you are going to be temporary in which case there are a few things you might want to take into account. You don’t say which state you are thinking of going to but several now charge anything from $4k - $10k pa for kids to attend government schools.

Also, as a temporary resident you won’t get help with child care, should you need it ($100+ per child per day).  If you were thinking of working as well, you’ll probably find it hard to get any meaningful employment especially in a career field.

If YOU are not 100% behind the move then don’t sacrifice yourself because you are being given the “better life for the kids” claptrap. It isn’t inherently “better” it’s different. Most kids settle ok most of the time but there’s no telling. If they’re kids who live enmeshed within an extended family or who currently have a lovely home and with nice friends in a good school then they’re more likely to struggle a bit but, as has been said, most kids are good if they’ve got a happy mummy and daddy and their own stuff. Kids in Australia aren’t particularly advantaged or disadvantaged, it’s just another first world country with all those first world problems.

As a temporary visa holder, as long as you approach it as a short term adventure and don’t expect permanence you should be ok.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the comment. His job is in Sydney but he would commute from a place called Point Clare, NSW, do you know of it and do you know if the  schools charge in this area? I’m already aware of the childcare, depending on what I do for work we may pay for our middle one to go.

Theres so many pros and cons to both countries, that’s why I’m finding it difficult 

Many Thanks 

56 minutes ago, Em33 said:

Hi, thanks for the comment. His job is in Sydney but he would commute from a place called Point Clare, NSW, do you know of it and do you know if the  schools charge in this area? I’m already aware of the childcare, depending on what I do for work we may pay for our middle one to go.

Theres so many pros and cons to both countries, that’s why I’m finding it difficult 

Many Thanks 

Point Clare is one of the much nicer places on the Central Coast.  It's about 75 km from Sydney.  

https://www.homely.com.au/point-clare-gosford-sydney-greater-new-south-wales

2 hours ago, Em33 said:

You are exactly right.  Just take a look at the threads on these forums.  You'll find plenty of families who made the move and absolutely love their new lives. You'll find plenty of families who made the move, were absolutely miserable,, and couldn't wait to get back home.  You'll find families who made the move, thought it was lovely, but missed the UK and/or their family too much. 

It's such a personal thing, it's very difficult to say how you'll feel (unless you're very close to your family - in which case I  can almost guarantee you'll be miserable.  Skype helps but it's no substitute!). 

3 hours ago, Em33 said:

Many Thanks 

That's a fair commute!  

Yes, NSW charges for temporary residents - $5.5k pa so it really is vital that you know what visa you are planning to go on.  You might find that Catholic schools are cheaper but you basically have to be Catholic or practising something else so it's not always easy to get in.  As I said, you might struggle to find work as a temporary dependent - they're not very attractive to employers and you may well find that the only jobs you can get are barely going to cover the cost of the child care.

As you are being so specific though with respect to residence and child care only for one child, it crossed my mind that your partner might be Australian?  Is he planning on going home to family?  In which case schools are free for the kids but they will need their Australian citizenship and you will need a spouse visa - being processed pretty quickly in London these days so that's a bonus.  If this is the case then school is as free as it is for any Aussie - voluntary contributions, visiting teachers, excursions, performances, stationery packs, uniforms, lunches etc etc

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1