Flights - Getting an extra seat

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

One thing I heard today from the “lady” in the next room is that instead of paying business class she purchases two seats. Is this possible? If so has anyone used reward points to do this?

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

One thing I heard today from the “lady” in the next room is that instead of paying business class she purchases two seats. Is this possible? If so has anyone used reward points to do this?

It can be done on most airlines, in fact Qantas recommended it to a friend of mine who is rather large and has issues fitting into one seat. If I remember rightly there were no taxes on the second seat as they tax by person not by seat. However you'd have to do it by phone direct with the airlines as online systems aren't set up for it. 

Edited by Nemesis

• 1 month later...
Guest The Pom Queen

I just read this article about the extra seats as well today which I thought was interesting.

International flights in cattle class are rarely a fun experience. But having an empty neighbouring seat – or even an entire row to yourself – can make a big difference to your on-board comfort.

Several airlines offer the opportunity to purchase a free neighbouring seat on your flight for a small fee. One is Air New Zealand, which sells “Twin Seats” for as little as $29 on flights to New Zealand. This guarantees an empty seat beside you. That’s a small price to pay for a much more comfortable flight!

Twin Seats cost just $29 on all Air New Zealand flights from Australia (except Perth) to New Zealand, Norfolk Island or Rarotonga. On long-haul flights, including from Perth to Auckland, the surcharge is $99. A full list of prices is available on the Air New Zealand website.

Where available, Air New Zealand also gives you the option to bid for a “OneUp” upgrade to Premium Economy or Business up to 7 days before the flight. But many Air New Zealand flights to Australia and the Pacific Islands are on Airbus A320s with an Economy-only configuration. In this case, requesting a Twin Seat is still your best chance for a more comfortable flight at a low price.

Another Air New Zealand product on long-haul flights is the “Skycouch”. This is where a block of three Economy seats is converted into a bed. This can be booked in advance, but the prices are much higher than those for Twin Seats.

While neither Qantas nor Virgin Australia sell the equivalent of Air New Zealand Twin Seats at check-in, you can purchase a comfort seat in advance. You’ll have to pay the fare for the second seat, but you’ll only pay the taxes once and you will earn double the points and status credits.

Finally, there is one Qantas flight where you can purchase an entire row of Economy seats for yourself. On QF8 from Dallas to Sydney, you can purchase a “comfort row” at check-in for around $250. There are always empty seats on QF8 due to payload restrictions, so this is a way for Qantas to monetise them. It’s a win-win for the airline and customers.