You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hi There,

I have just been granted my nomination for a Skilled Worker Regional Visa by NT government. We were initially planning on moving to Perth or Adelaide as we have family/friends there but NT gave us the sponsor. 

We are a bit clueless on the suburbs/areas in Darwin and any help or information would be appreciated. We have two young kids, one aged 3 and a baby coming up on a year old. Where would be the best suburbs for us looking to rent a 4 bedroom property?  Ideally somewhere with good schools and plenty of parks.

Thanks,

G

I was going to say, I don't know Darwin well, but I do know a lot of young families move out to Palmerston instead of in Darwin proper.  Palmerston is where the main shopping mall is, and there is also a good primary school. 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On Monday, June 04, 2018 at 02:25, Dreamer 11 said:

Hi There,

I have just been granted my nomination for a Skilled Worker Regional Visa by NT government. We were initially planning on moving to Perth or Adelaide as we have family/friends there but NT gave us the sponsor. 

We are a bit clueless on the suburbs/areas in Darwin and any help or information would be appreciated. We have two young kids, one aged 3 and a baby coming up on a year old. Where would be the best suburbs for us looking to rent a 4 bedroom property?  Ideally somewhere with good schools and plenty of parks.

Thanks,

G

I would try and get as close to Darwin City as I could. It would be more expensive but Palmerston is a way out and IMO not very nice. Nightcliff and suburbs around there would be far enough out for me but still have things to do locally.

Thanks everyone! There is just so many little suburbs its hard to decide where!

Have you been to Darwin before?

173 Visa lodged - May 2016

3 hours ago, Dreamer 11 said:

Thanks everyone! There is just so many little suburbs its hard to decide where!

My advice is, don't try to choose from a distance.  It's a very bad idea to take on a long-term rental before you arrive - real estate agents doctor their photos.   Just book an Airbnb or a holiday home for 4 weeks for when you first arrive, and go from there.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)

A couple of good places: Durack, in Palmerston. It has a good primary school, parks and a good golly course and the golly course ponds hold barramundi...if you like fishing.

The other is Leanyer. It has a beaut recreation park, with a water slide, cafe etc. etc.

Some places not so good are, Moulden, Karama and parts of Nightcliff.

I have been going to the Darwin, on and off, for better than 50 years. My son lived there for 7 years at Durack, hence the fishing...

Odd spot, Mum and I got married in the city registry office over 40 years ago. Maybe that’s why I like it so much. And, on our way back home to Kununurra, we saw wild buffaloes where Palmerston now stands.

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj

Don’t go anywhere near Palmerston, it’s really rough these days

6 hours ago, joeperth said:

Don’t go anywhere near Palmerston, it’s really rough these days

That's interesting; since when? Last time I was there, Durack Gunn and Driver were very good, but that was about 6 years ago. Can understand the southern parts getting down abit, like Moulden, as I remarked previously.

I suppose it depends on the individual's perception of these areas.

Cheers, Bobj.

Posted (edited)

Hi @Dreamer 11

Commenting just from a personal perspective here as I grew up in Darwin and have family there still.

First things first, Darwin has a very casual laid back attitude and has two temperatures - (1) hot and (2) hot and humid, so be prepared! It is very multicultural and everyone lives in singlets and shorts.

Basically you have Darwin CBD which is probably the sleepiest CBD in Australia, Casuarina which has the 'big shops' https://www.casuarinasquare.com.au/home, and Palmerston which is about 25 mins from Casuarina which as mentioned above also has another shopping centre. Palmerston has grown in recent years and not as remote as it used to be. I moved years ago to Adelaide and things change every time I go back, I swear Palmerston has a new suburb every time I go there!

I have 3 sisters up there plus their families and my folks, all spread across Leanyer, Durack and Girraween. Public transport is pretty poor so keep that in mind for school runs etc.

Pretty much everywhere can be rough in places but not too bad in others so maybe take a short term rental and see what you think. Drivebys at night to gauge the area are a must. 

Living expenses are pretty high and June/July is tourist season so expect rental prices (and flights!) to be higher if you come over around then. The NT government has a huge push to get more people to go to live in the NT so am sure they will be more than welcoming!

Good luck!

Cheers

Carol

Edited by Carol from Vista Financial
    Whoops, typo!
    • Like 1

MFAA Finance Broker

Vista Financial Services Pty Ltd

P | +61 8 8381 7177 W | www.vistafs.com.au

Credit Representative No. 506912 | Centrepoint Alliance Lending Pty Ltd | Australian Credit Licence No. 377711

Please note that I don’t know absolutely all the ins and outs of your current financial situation yet, so my comments are general in nature and for educational purposes only.