Australian consumers to be blocked from Amazon's overseas sites

Cerberus1

amazon-packages.jpgWell this is pretty disappointing given the Australian offering is pretty poor in comparsion to Amazon's US or UK sites.

Online retail giant Amazon will block Australian consumers from its global sites to counter new laws to force it to collect the good and services tax on transactions.

From July 1 when the new GST regulations begin, Australian consumers shopping on Amazon international sites will be redirected to the local Australian site.

In a statement issued to the ABC, Amazon said it regretted the move and the inconvenience to customers accustomed to visiting Amazon's global online stores.

"We have had to assess the workability of the legislation as a global business with multiple international sites," a spokeswoman said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's rubbish. I often use the UK site for shopping for gifts for the UK based family and stuff. 

Rarely use it to ship here though. 

Guest The Pom Queen

This is absolutely ridiculous. They have nothing on the Au Amazon. I use Amazon US a lot for medical dressings, I can get 100 over there for $25 or pay $10 each in the chemist here. I’ve also shipped hand sanitizers over as well and even with hazmat shipping it works out cheaper than here. 

‘I wonder if using an American IP would allow us to access the store or if they will just block shipping to Au addresses. People will just go back to ebay.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

This is absolutely ridiculous. They have nothing on the Au Amazon. I use Amazon US a lot for medical dressings, I can get 100 over there for $25 or pay $10 each in the chemist here. I’ve also shipped hand sanitizers over as well and even with hazmat shipping it works out cheaper than here. 

‘I wonder if using an American IP would allow us to access the store or if they will just block shipping to Au addresses. People will just go back to ebay.

You could try a VPN on your home computer they are pretty cheap. I use private internet access. It's easy to install and use and you just connect to a server in your country of choice from a big list.

They may still block the Aus shipping address though.

Guest The Pom Queen
9 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

You could try a VPN on your home computer they are pretty cheap. I use private internet access. It's easy to install and use and you just connect to a server in your country of choice from a big list.

They may still block the Aus shipping address though.

I think they are going to have to.

Guest The Pom Queen

They are doing. What a silly silly move.

Can I get around the ban, and is it legal?
Orders received by Amazon's American website will no longer be shipped to Australia. The same rule applies for Amazon's other overseas websites.
However, there may be ways to circumvent the policy — if you're prepared to invest some time and money.
This article contains content that is only available in the web version. Open the web version.
While Amazon will not ship to Australian customers, US parcel shipping services will not be subject to any ban.
These forward-shipping services provide a US delivery address for retail purchases, allowing goods to be sent overseas without triggering any shipping restrictions.
But there's still the tricky question of how to access the Amazon US website in the first place.
You will have to use a virtual private network (VPN) to get around the Amazon geo-ban and access the US site.
VPN services connect you to a public network that can be based in another country, which makes your computer look like it is based in the country you choose.
There are no laws in Australia currently preventing people using a VPN. 
But it is technically a violation of the terms of service of the provider, in this case Amazon, to which you agree when you sign up.
So they are within their rights to ban you from using the service if caught http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-31/amazon-blocks-australia-shopping-deal-how-it-affects-you/9820312

Guest The Pom Queen
14 minutes ago, Parley said:

Why is it silly ?

It is the Australia law that is causing it. You are not paying GST on overseas purchases so the Government is missing out on the tax dollars. Amazon has to comply with the law.

I’m happy to pay the GST, it’s more about choice. 

‘As I mentioned, just importing my medical supplies saves me thousands each year. I currently use a shipping/forwarding address in the USA and with that and hazmat fees along with the GST if they added it on I’d save a fortune.

Amazon aren’t even giving us the choice to pay, instead they are doing a blanket ban. I presume you don’t purchase online often? Especially from Amazon? There is next to nothing in Australia it is terrible.

26 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Maybe if they dropped the prices in Aus, people wouldn't be so keen to purchase from overseas.

Cal x

We've been ripped off here for years.   I can barely remember the last time I was in David Jones or Myers.  Serve them right if the go bust along with other overpriced retailers.  

• Like 2

I use amazon UK to send my niece and nephew gift vouchers to their UK addresses for birthdays / Christmas, will this be affected? I am also a massive reader so for myself I order tons of books I can’t get over here... Amazon Aus is rubbish, expensive and usually the books I want can only be ordered as ebooks and unfortunately I’m a traditional book reader, sniffing the pages and bending the spine in anticipation of a fab read are essentials!  I will be upset I feel I can’t sent my family the.vouchers they like to receive, but in terms of books I shall divert my business to book depository or booktopia, shame on Amazon.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Why is it silly ?

It is the Australia law that is causing it. You are not paying GST on overseas purchases so the Government is missing out on the tax dollars. Amazon has to comply with the law.

Every order I make overseas warns me that Australian customs may charge me GST, I still click ‘buy’ With that in mind and when a delivery takes much longer than forecast I assume customs are looking at my purchases and working out a GST bill, the fact I’ve never received one is not my problem. I don’t recall ever having VAT or other taxes taken off my purchases either, happy to pay GST, even the double whammy approach can often be cheaper than onshore prices.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
11 minutes ago, Phoenix16 said:

Every order I make overseas warns me that Australian customs may charge me GST, I still click ‘buy’ With that in mind and when a delivery takes much longer than forecast I assume customs are looking at my purchases and working out a GST bill, the fact I’ve never received one is not my problem. I don’t recall ever having VAT or other taxes taken off my purchases either, happy to pay GST, even the double whammy approach can often be cheaper than onshore prices.

My views exactly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2018 at 20:12, The Pom Queen said:

I’m happy to pay the GST, it’s more about choice. 

‘As I mentioned, just importing my medical supplies saves me thousands each year. I currently use a shipping/forwarding address in the USA and with that and hazmat fees along with the GST if they added it on I’d save a fortune.

Amazon aren’t even giving us the choice to pay, instead they are doing a blanket ban. I presume you don’t purchase online often? Especially from Amazon? There is next to nothing in Australia it is terrible.

I could be wrong but I think the new law puts the responsibility for collecting the GST back on the the supplier, rather than it being charged by customs.  This would be a huge change to Amazon’s systems to record which purchases were sent to Australia, calculate the GST owed on them and submit a return to the Australian government.  Amazon have obviously made a business decision that the number of sales to Australia from there international sites means it’s just not worth the cost to add this to their systems.  Or that, even if it is, they don’t have the time or capacity to do so before the rules come/came in to effect.

2 minutes ago, NicF said:

I could be wrong but I think the new law puts the responsibility for collecting the GST back on the the supplier, rather than it being charged by customs.  This would be a huge change to Amazon’s systems to record which purchases were sent to Australia, calculate the GST owed on them and submit a return to the Australian government.  Amazon have obviously made a business decision that the number of sales to Australia from there international sites means it’s just not worth the cost to add this to their systems.  Or that, even if it is, they don’t have the time or capacity to do so before the rules come/came in to effect.

If ebay can adjust their check-out and payment system to deal with it, as they have done, then I don't see why Amazon can't do the same.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

If ebay can adjust their check-out and payment system to deal with it, as they have done, then I don't see why Amazon can't do the same.

I'd expect its because they have the Aus Amazon now and want people to use that. It needs to grow and offer more and be better price wise but that will take time. This will force the issue and either see people using Amazon Aus or going the non Amazon route. 

I just hope they still allow you to shop and have items delivered to a UK address. I do lots of gift shopping for people via Amazon UK. I should go read the small print to see if this will be doable still. 

Found this article. Appears shipping to UK address will continue to be ok ?

https://www.afr.com/business/retail/amazoncom-will-stop-shipping-to-australia-from-july-1-20180531-h10rzv

'The only way Australian consumers will be able to shop on Amazon's US and UK sites is to have orders sent to an address in the US or UK or use an online freight-forwarding service.'

On 11/06/2018 at 01:27, snifter said:

Found this article. Appears shipping to UK address will continue to be ok ?

https://www.afr.com/business/retail/amazoncom-will-stop-shipping-to-australia-from-july-1-20180531-h10rzv

'The only way Australian consumers will be able to shop on Amazon's US and UK sites is to have orders sent to an address in the US or UK or use an online freight-forwarding service.'

Still says that anyone in oz will be redirected to the Amazon AU site. Which means if you order something to go to a UK address, you would be ordering within Australia and will get hit for shipping costs from oz to the UK.

• 2 weeks later...