Where to stay in Sydney

Preni

My family and I will be relocating to Sydney in mid September from South Africa and I have a 4 year and 2 year old.

I need some advice on areas near good schools and easy access to good public transport. 

A great place to raise our kids without too long a commute to work.

My husband and I will most probably be working in Sydney CBD.

I doubt that will get you much closer to the CBD. 

Suggest checking out realestate.com.au and using google maps and working your way out and seeing where eventually starts falling into your price range. 

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent

Also keep in mind its one thing to rent in an area, but if you cannot afford to buy there it may make staying put hard in the longer term. Also it can have an impact in terms of schools and so on. No point renting somewhere, getting into a school only to have to move 30 mins away and out of your route to work etc. Also puts an end to local school friends. 

Be realistic, look at areas you can afford to rent and if you plan to stay longer term and hope to buy, then to be able to afford to buy in. 

Have a look at Emu Plains, Glenmore Park, Leonay, Penrith.

From any of these towns, take a short drive to the train station, where you can park all day for free. There is a direct train straight into Sydney CBD. Rents are much more manageable living out west. We lived in Glenmore Park for six months and paid less than $600 pw for 4 bed house in a lovely area.

You could also have a look at Sutherland Shire.  You won't get anything near the water, but if you look over towards Engadine and Heathcote you'd possibly get a 3-4 bed house.  They are really family friendly suburbs, with excellent schools (my kids went to Engadine West Public School, and we were very happy with it), shops, community centre, leisure centre, lots of parks/open spaces, right next to the Royal National Park (for walking, beaches), and there are train stations in both Engadine and Heathcote, with frequent and reliable trains, about 40-45 minutes to the CBD I think.  We were really happy in that area.  Sutherland Shire is a bit of a hidden gem, if you ask me.  

ETA: you'd still be fairly close to the beaches at Cronulla, Bundeena, Wattamolla, Garie, Stanwell Park and further down the coast, whereas in the west of Sydney it would be a long journey.

You'd need 100 points of ID (have a look at estate agent websites, they'll usually tell you what you need for that), and if you haven't got a contract/offer of employment I guess you might need to show your bank account balance to show that you can afford the rent for a few weeks/months until you've found work.

Have a look at www.domain.com.au for rental listings.

On 30/05/2018 at 02:59, Preni said:

I need some advice on areas near good schools and easy access to good public transport. 

A great place to raise our kids without too long a commute to work.

My husband and I will most probably be working in Sydney CBD.

Hello

Anywhere on the North Shore (or Upper North Shore) would probably suit.

Extremely easy and quick access into the CBD, from any suburb along the railway line.

By train, Milsons Point would be 5 minutes and Berowra would be 50 minutes and everything else in between somewhere.  

It is renowned as a boring place to live if you are single, enjoy parties and late nights in bars.

However, a very respectable and safe place to raise a family. It is classed as leafy green and blue circle living.

There is a main train line that goes from the city, over the bridge, and from Milsons Point (Lower North Shire), to Turrumurra (Middle North Shore) and Berowra (Upper North Shore) and then onto the Central Coast from there.

Running alongside the entire railway line is the Pacific Highway, and it has a good bus service along there too.

The train service is excellent. It is on time, clean and safe. If you live nearby you could walk to the station, or each station has some parking.

Many of the best schools in Sydney are located along this route or very nearby.

Some suburbs along the route properties are more expensive than others, but even there prices change depending on what side of the track you live (i.e.) East side of the track in Wahroonga, is more expensive than the West side.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of snobbery in Sydney. Therefore, if you like showing off and name-dropping, then make sure you live on the East side!! ?

There is a website called "North Shore Mums", which may be worth you viewing:  http://www.northshoremums.com.au/

54 minutes ago, Tootsie said:

Hello

Anywhere on the North Shore (or Upper North Shore) would probably suit.

Extremely easy and quick access into the CBD, from any suburb along the railway line.

By train, Milsons Point would be 5 minutes and Berowra would be 50 minutes and everything else in between somewhere.  

It is renowned as a boring place to live if you are single, enjoy parties and late nights in bars.

However, a very respectable and safe place to raise a family. It is classed as leafy green and blue circle living.

There is a main train line that goes from the city, over the bridge, and from Milsons Point (Lower North Shire), to Turrumurra (Middle North Shore) and Berowra (Upper North Shore) and then onto the Central Coast from there.

Running alongside the entire railway line is the Pacific Highway, and it has a good bus service along there too.

The train service is excellent. It is on time, clean and safe. If you live nearby you could walk to the station, or each station has some parking.

Many of the best schools in Sydney are located along this route or very nearby.

Some suburbs along the route properties are more expensive than others, but even there prices change depending on what side of the track you live (i.e.) East side of the track in Wahroonga, is more expensive than the West side.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of snobbery in Sydney. Therefore, if you like showing off and name-dropping, then make sure you live on the East side!! ?

There is a website called "North Shore Mums", which may be worth you viewing:  http://www.northshoremums.com.au/

The OP might struggle to find somewhere reasonable to rent on a budget of $650 per week on the North Shore/Upper North Shore.  There is lots of snobbery in Sydney, which I never wanted any part of.  We lived in Sutherland Shire, which is an excellent area, but which is regarded by others as being full of bogans.  This could not be further than the truth!  It is a lovely area, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  Great facilities, reasonable housing costs, good transport links, excellent schools etc.

16 minutes ago, LKC said:

The OP might struggle to find somewhere reasonable to rent on a budget of $650 per week on the North Shore/Upper North Shore.

I disagree.

I have rented in the area myself, and viewed many properties there.

You can get some great rentals for $650.00 or less.

Yes there are some very expensive areas (Wahroonga). But it is a big area that covers many suburbs, and most are very affordable. 

Personally I dislike the Shire, and would not recommend it to anyone.  But each to our own.

1 hour ago, Tootsie said:

I disagree.

I have rented in the area myself, and viewed many properties there.

You can get some great rentals for $650.00 or less.

Yes there are some very expensive areas (Wahroonga). But it is a big area that covers many suburbs, and most are very affordable. 

Personally I dislike the Shire, and would not recommend it to anyone.  But each to our own.

RE.com shows a couple of hundred of house rentals on the 'Upper North Shore' and 'Lower North Shore' for $650 or less but very few of them are in the railway line corridor suburbs. 

Of those that are, the bulk are way up in Hornsby and further north. The few houses that are to the south of Hornsby don't look very nice and are obviously cheaper for a reason.

There are zillions of apartment rentals but I doubt the OP wants to live in an apartment with two small children.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific and point the OP to the north shore suburbs that are 'very affordable' ?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

RE.com shows a couple of hundred of house rentals on the 'Upper North Shore' and 'Lower North Shore' for $650 or less but very few of them are in the railway line corridor suburbs. 

Of those that are, the bulk are way up in Hornsby and further north. The few houses that are to the south of Hornsby don't look very nice and are obviously cheaper for a reason.

There are zillions of apartment rentals but I doubt the OP wants to live in an apartment with two small children.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific and point the OP to the north shore suburbs that are 'very affordable' ?

Wow.

What is with the negatively on this forum. Everyone always looking for the worst case scenario! 

Sorry. I didn't realise I had to give a blow-by-blow account of high and low prices in each suburb.

I am sure the OP can research these things herself.

I am just putting ideas out there, speaking from my own experiences, from me and close friends renting in these areas.

I have moved out of the area now, but most of my social network is still there.

Obviously, the closer you are to the city CBD, the more expensive the rental (and more likely to be a unit rather than a house).

Last month a good friend moved into a gorgeous brick detached house with a large garden in Turramurra, and it is $650.00 per week. She is a 10 minute walk to the train station. It is 37 minutes on the train to Town Hall station in the CBD where she works. And her kids (aged 5, 10 and 16) attend local top-notch schools.

Another friend (the South African) rents in Asquith and works in the CBD, which is a 50 minute trip in by train. She lives within spitting distance of the train station. She too rents a lovely 4 bedroomed house with a garden, for $570.00 per week. Her daughters attend one of the best schools in NSW, being Hornsby Girls High School

Another friend lives in Crows Nest, in a townhouse with her husband, three children and two dogs. No garden. But big park nearby. Being closer to the city, she pays $800 a week. But she walks to her job in the CBD, as so saves money on petrol or train fares that way.

I cannot sit here all day suggesting suburbs to look at. Up to the OP to get a map, looks at the suburbs along the train line, and start researching rental prices.

If you are prepared to research these things properly, then you can easily find some gems. We all did..........By the same token, you can easily find : "a few houses that are to the south of Hornsby don't look very nice and are obviously cheaper for a reason".

As a side note, I pay $400 rent a week (all bills included) for a lovely little place, whilst living in a very expensive suburb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tootsie said:

Wow.

What is with the negatively on this forum. Everyone always looking for the worst case scenario! 

Sorry. I didn't realise I had to give a blow-by-blow account of high and low prices in each suburb.

I am sure the OP can research these things herself.

I am just putting ideas out there, speaking from my own experiences, from me and close friends renting in these areas.

I have moved out of the area now, but most of my social network is still there.

Obviously, the closer you are to the city CBD, the more expensive the rental (and more likely to be a unit rather than a house).

Last month a good friend moved into a gorgeous brick detached house with a large garden in Turramurra, and it is $650.00 per week. She is a 10 minute walk to the train station. It is 37 minutes on the train to Town Hall station in the CBD where she works. And her kids (aged 5, 10 and 16) attend local top-notch schools.

Another friend (the South African) rents in Asquith and works in the CBD, which is a 50 minute trip in by train. She lives within spitting distance of the train station. She too rents a lovely 4 bedroomed house with a garden, for $570.00 per week. Her daughters attend one of the best schools in NSW, being Hornsby Girls High School

Another friend lives in Crows Nest, in a townhouse with her husband, three children and two dogs. No garden. But big park nearby. Being closer to the city, she pays $800 a week. But she walks to her job in the CBD, as so saves money on petrol or train fares that way.

I cannot sit here all day suggesting suburbs to look at. Up to the OP to get a map, looks at the suburbs along the train line, and start researching rental prices.

If you are prepared to research these things properly, then you can easily find some gems. We all did..........By the same token, you can easily find : "a few houses that are to the south of Hornsby don't look very nice and are obviously cheaper for a reason".

As a side note, I pay $400 rent a week (all bills included) for a lovely little place, whilst living in a very expensive suburb.

I know a young couple from the UK who are renting a very nice house in Hornsby for $650 a week.   They walk to the station and it takes nearly 45 mins by train to their jobs in Sydney CBD.

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2018 at 12:29, Toots said:

I know a young couple from the UK who are renting a very nice house in Hornsby for $650 a week.   They walk to the station and it takes nearly 45 mins by train to their jobs in Sydney CBD.

Sounds great. Hornsby has a very good shopping centre, excellent medical facilities, a newish public swimming pool, several good gyms, fantastic schools in the area, bush bike tracks, and bush walks in the surrounding attractive area, plus $650 a week for a nice house is really cheap. The 45 minute trip into the CBD passes in a flash once you are asleep, or engrossed in a book or video on your phone.