You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Moving to Rural Australia

I noticed that the Regional Australia Institute published a report this week stating that over 151 regional government areas around Australia had seen a decrease in Australian born residents whilst those born overseas increased.

I haven’t had chance to read the full report (I’ve added a link to it below) but I do wonder if the reason is

a) The locals realise there is no work available so move in search of employment 

b) Overseas migrants don’t care where they live as long as they get the golden ticket and arrive with rose tinted spectacles.

c) That there really are plenty of opportunities in regional areas

According to the RAI

Population loss means there are still labour shortages in rural Australia. This loss requires new strategies to enable migration to better meet local labour needs. 

One way to tackle this issue is through locally-led migration strategies. Support for these projects across rural Australia is key to future population and economic growth in small towns.

Supported by literature and analysis from the Regional Australia Institute (RAI), this policy paper is based on discussions between regional settlement representatives at Migration Nation, a RAI roundtable event held at Old Parliament House on 1 November 2017 as well as consultations with governments and community groups. 

Read the full paper here. http://www.regionalaustralia.org.au/home/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/180510-The-Regional-Australia-Institute-2018-The-missing-workers_policy-paper_FINAL-1.pdf

If you are looking at moving to rural Australia this latest video may be of interest.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Tamworth and lots of the larger country towns would be pleasant to live in but many of those far flung, small towns are a different story.  Same in Tassie.  The larger towns are good but I simply wouldn't want to live in the much smaller, fairly isolated towns.  There is no work and no public transport.  Shopping is usually done in the larger towns so a good drive to get to them in many cases is necessary.

45 minutes ago, Toots said:

Tamworth and lots of the larger country towns would be pleasant to live in but many of those far flung, small towns are a different story.  Same in Tassie.  The larger towns are good but I simply wouldn't want to live in the much smaller, fairly isolated towns.  There is no work and no public transport.  Shopping is usually done in the larger towns so a good drive to get to them in many cases is necessary.

Bliss, total bliss, living in a village of 200, or less. No shops=no rubbish=fewer cars to add to pollution and noise. A once a week 80 minute round trip for groceries is easy to handle...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobj said:

Bliss, total bliss, living in a village of 200, or less. No shops=no rubbish=fewer cars to add to pollution and noise. A once a week 80 minute round trip for groceries is easy to handle...

Cheers, Bobj.

I get you Bob.  I was brought up on an isolated farm then left home and worked in country areas.  I didn't work in a city until I was 25.  Hated living in London but enjoyed Liverpool.  Moved to Australia - Perth then Sydney.  Got used to everything being so handy.  Now when I leave the house if I turn left, I can walk to the shops, cinema, theatre and cafes and if I turn right I can walk to the ocean and miles of walking tracks.  Suits me fine.

• Thanks 1

Just had think about it; almost 55 years in this wonderfull land and I have spent a total of 1 year in Perth and about the same in Smellbum and Brissie combined...The other 53 years have been spent in small towns in the Kimberlies, Pilbara and New England.

So, up youse all for the rent...

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Just had think about it; almost 55 years in this wonderfull land and I have spent a total of 1 year in Perth and about the same in Smellbum and Brissie combined...The other 53 years have been spent in small towns in the Kimberlies, Pilbara and New England.

So, up youse all for the rent...

Cheers, Bobj.

You sound a bit like my Dad.  He loathed towns and crowds.  He was never happier than when he was walking the hills with his border collies miles from anywhere and anybody.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Sadly, the larger country towns are prone to State Govt.  pollies winning, or losing their seats. Tamworth, in NSW, is a classic example. In the 1980’s,  The RTA was a political football, being quartered in Tamworth twice and Grafton. People were transferred from head office to and, subjected to huge decisions in where to move to. 

And that is only one employer in one State...

Cheers, Bobj.

1 minute ago, Toots said:

You sound a bit like my Dad.  He loathed towns and crowds.  He was never happier than when he was walking the hills with his border collies miles from anywhere and anybody.

Hopefully, with a trout rod in hand...Absolutely ideal!

Cheers, Bobj.