London to Perth direct dog flight

Debs74

Yes I had a choice of two hours at Singapore but opted for the more direct route. She also has to fly on to Melbourne then quarantine. I’m then picking her up in Melbourne and driving to Adelaide to save her going on yet another flight! It’s giving me more anxiety than the other million things I have to do to get there !! 

• Like 1

Yes it is anxiety inducing. I have given the cat a long talking to about travelling well and being ok once he gets there. He is diabetic so an added layer of stress.....

I moved my dog to Australia 13 years ago and she was fine. It was a month in quarantine back then as well.

Best of luck and I’m sure your dog will be fine. ?

• Like 1

Good luck for the travel - will be interesting to hear how this goes as no pets have gone through the direct flight.  I'm saw they will be all good.  If Pets go through Dubai there is requirement for a minimum 6hr stop over in Dubai (local requirement).  I'm told by Dogtainers the bus arrives immediately at Dubai and transfers pets to air conditioned holding facility as priority.  I guess you have to accept and believe they do perform this consistently.  My 2 cats went ex Perth to Dubai to Heathrow - both were well upon arrival at Heathrow.  One cat has hyperthyroidism - which needs medication morning and evening.  We had to forego some medication at stopover - upon discussion we decided the less complications at Dubai the better.  It wasn't life threatening or going to create manor issue for such a small gap in medication.

Happy and safe travels pawsies

• Thanks 1

On 29/05/2018 at 10:39, Debs74 said:

Yes I had a choice of two hours at Singapore but opted for the more direct route. She also has to fly on to Melbourne then quarantine. I’m then picking her up in Melbourne and driving to Adelaide to save her going on yet another flight! It’s giving me more anxiety than the other million things I have to do to get there !! 

London - Perth - Melbourne is not a lot different to London-Singapore-Melbourne, maybe an hour quicker depending on stopovers.  I would definitley do that drive though, although not sure I will do the same from Melbourne back to Perth.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest we stress more than our pets. I know you have set your mind on driving between Melbourne and Adelaide but it would probably be less stressful flying. I worked in the veterinary/behaviour/quarantine industry for a number of years and to be honest I feel the quickest/direct route with the least disruption is better for the dog/cat.

Ive also driven with mine on 3 day car journeys and to be honest they sulk all the way.

I say all this but I’d be camping out at quarantine myself waiting lol.

On 31/05/2018 at 17:47, The Pom Queen said:

To be honest we stress more than our pets. I know you have set your mind on driving between Melbourne and Adelaide but it would probably be less stressful flying. I worked in the veterinary/behaviour/quarantine industry for a number of years and to be honest I feel the quickest/direct route with the least disruption is better for the dog/cat.

Ive also driven with mine on 3 day car journeys and to be honest they sulk all the way.

I say all this but I’d be camping out at quarantine myself waiting lol.

I agree a short flight probably wont phaze your dog at all Our Shar Pei a breed notorious for anxiety etc was fine -stopover in Dubai then on to Melbourne Flown to Adelaide once through quarantine It was me who was the wreck

Thanks for this guys! I know she’ll be fine, not a pleasant experience but she’ll get through it. I’ve booked the flight now andmy partner, who already lives there is happy to drive down from Adelaide  I must be crazy doing that drive after the trip from the UK !! 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, Debs74 said:

Thanks for this guys! I know she’ll be fine, not a pleasant experience but she’ll get through it. I’ve booked the flight now andmy partner, who already lives there is happy to drive down from Adelaide  I must be crazy doing that drive after the trip from the UK !! 

Lol @Debs74 the drive will be a walk in the park after the long flight over. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say qantas have been sllloooooowwwww. .Won’t/ can’t confirm cat on the direct Perth to London so now he is going via Singapore. A fraction longer with 1.5hr refuelling stop is all. Also with qantas, for some reason the direct flight causes issues with their boarding priority system or something. Cat was booked 4 weeks ago only confirmed today to fly next Thursday. Not stressful at all!!!

20 hours ago, Debs74 said:

Oh god yes that does sound pretty stressful! A weeks notice is pretty short. Did you use a Pet travel company ? 

Yes, wouldn’t cope with doing this by myself! They booked a few spaces on different flights to make sure he travelled on that day. So he is now qantas via Singapore. About 2 hours longer I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

cat flew via Singapore. Made it in one piece and is recovering. Reintroduced his insulin and any symptoms that he was displaying are starting to recede. All good so far.

Just a point. @Debs74. Has your shipper confirmed that qantas are taking animals on this flight? My shipper said no animals are using that flight yet and qantas haven’t confirmed when/if they will.

Just in case you need a plan B. I’m sure your shipper is across it.

10 hours ago, Debs74 said:

I’m glad your cat made it in one piece !! 

Thats interesting, I will speak to Pet Air on Monday to clarify. Thank you for the heads up ! 

Debs

I think Petair are probably all over this but qantas are not! You have time on your side though so they might confirm this soon. Or my shipper might be wrong but he said he does imports as well and no animals are on that flight in either direction yet. He was expecting confirmation from qantas in May......

Yes cat is recovering well. If your dog is 100% healthy he’ll be fine, it’s only because of the diabetes that mine is still a bit ropey!

I’ll def call them tomorrow and have a chat as I’ve booked my flight to coincide with her arrival and release from quarantine so could do without any last minute issues. 

My dog is healthy but very nervous and anxious. I’m worried about her being unchecked for that long flight but I have to try and stop worrying so much !! 

Debs 

6 hours ago, Debs74 said:

I’ll def call them tomorrow and have a chat as I’ve booked my flight to coincide with her arrival and release from quarantine so could do without any last minute issues. 

My dog is healthy but very nervous and anxious. I’m worried about her being unchecked for that long flight but I have to try and stop worrying so much !! 

Debs 

They are not all in on top of each other and the lights are dimmed. Most of them settle down and sleep as there is no one there they just surrender to the experience I think. I don’t think they can eyeball each other either. I’m sure it will be fine. ?

Hi everyone,

I thought this reply today from my Pet travel company ( Petair) might be useful to read ? re the direct London to Perth flight for my dog in August..I was getting concerned that there might be some issues but all good it seems... Thankfully.  Thanks all for your advice and tips and for sharing your experiences. It's really helped.

Hi Debs,

I can confirm that she is definitely booked on the direct flight and you are actually the second person that I have heard this information from. The flight can only take 6 pets per journey so spaces are extremely limited but I’m not exactly sure why people are being told that the route is simply unavailable as it has been operational (with great success) since the end of May.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Debs74 said:

Hi everyone,

I thought this reply today from my Pet travel company ( Petair) might be useful to read ? re the direct London to Perth flight for my dog in August..I was getting concerned that there might be some issues but all good it seems... Thankfully.  Thanks all for your advice and tips and for sharing your experiences. It's really helped.

Hi Debs,

I can confirm that she is definitely booked on the direct flight and you are actually the second person that I have heard this information from. The flight can only take 6 pets per journey so spaces are extremely limited but I’m not exactly sure why people are being told that the route is simply unavailable as it has been operational (with great success) since the end of May.

That is good news. I might message petair and alert them as to who told me. 

• 5 months later...

Hi Amber,

just wondering how your pooch went on that trip? We might have to take our two dogs to the UK next year and I'm turning into a complete wreck just thinking of the trip. One of our dogs is very nervous and does not like being handled by strangers. So a stop-over in Dubai would be super stressful for him. I'm thinking the non-stop option is probably easier on him... but 17 hours in a crate?? OMG...