Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Phoenix16

Nursing in UK

Recommended Posts

So I am dual UK/AZ citizen, I have graduated as an RN, but because of the dire situation here I cannot start my career as an RN, I am wondering whether 12 months working in the UK will help my cause.  The job situation in WA is particularly grim, I’m hoping I can work in UK for 12 months which involves leaving my family behind, but the only way I can gain experience in order to have credibility as a nurse is 12 months experience post grad.   What will I encounter in terms of registration?  I’m relying heavily on my UK citizenship for this, can anyone help with advice xx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phoenix16 said:

So I am dual UK/AZ citizen, I have graduated as an RN, but because of the dire situation here I cannot start my career as an RN, I am wondering whether 12 months working in the UK will help my cause.  The job situation in WA is particularly grim, I’m hoping I can work in UK for 12 months which involves leaving my family behind, but the only way I can gain experience in order to have credibility as a nurse is 12 months experience post grad.   What will I encounter in terms of registratio9n?  I’m relying heavily on my UK citizenship for this, can anyone help with advice xx

 

I know nothing about nursing, can only comment that NHS has vacancies every where and hospitals doing recruitment fairs all over the far east,  but the workforce in the NHS is under great strain with many nurses, it seems, leaving because of the pressures and management seemingly happy to sacrifice staff just to keep wards staffed, check newspaper websites such as the Guardian and do searches for NHS and nurses and doctor's to get a feel for the scenario here, don't forget pay levels and cost of accommodation here and also do your research on hospitals and their location, some of the most desperate are in really dodgy places especially in London and the big cities, if you do go for it remember nurses are in shortage supply so you should get the best deal you can by playing one off against the other.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, everting you say is true!! I don’t want to move back to UK, but the nursing profession is so dire here, I’m thinking 12 months in UK gives me the experience I need then I can return with much more credibility, it’s a tough gig here right now, My only chance of a grad program is waving bye to my family and taking my chances in the uk, it’s shocking....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Yep, everting you say is true!! I don’t want to move back to UK, but the nursing profession is so dire here, I’m thinking 12 months in UK gives me the experience I need then I can return with much more credibility, it’s a tough gig here right now, My only chance of a grad program is waving bye to my family and taking my chances in the uk, it’s shocking....

That's so unfortunate that you can't get on a grad programme - have you considered working country (rather than going overseas), at least that will mean it's easier to see the family and no additional registration fees (and whatever else may be involved in registering with the NMC as an overseas trained nurse).

Also look at Nurse West (casual), it may give you some experience also and an opportunity to work in different hospitals.  sometimes, getting your face known when RN jobs are advertised can be a bonus.

ETA - on jobs WA the latest vacancy is for an RN in Kununurra, also RN jobs being advertised in Bunbury, Kojunup, Broome and albany

  • Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ali said:

That's so unfortunate that you can't get on a grad programme - have you considered working country (rather than going overseas), at least that will mean it's easier to see the family and no additional registration fees (and whatever else may be involved in registering with the NMC as an overseas trained nurse).

Also look at Nurse West (casual), it may give you some experience also and an opportunity to work in different hospitals.  sometimes, getting your face known when RN jobs are advertised can be a bonus.

ETA - on jobs WA the latest vacancy is for an RN in Kununurra, also RN jobs being advertised in Bunbury, Kojunup, Broome and albany

Nurse West require recents acute clinical experience which the OP doesn't appear to have. Casual nurses need to be able to work without supervision.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Yep, everting you say is true!! I don’t want to move back to UK, but the nursing profession is so dire here, I’m thinking 12 months in UK gives me the experience I need then I can return with much more credibility, it’s a tough gig here right now, My only chance of a grad program is waving bye to my family and taking my chances in the uk, it’s shocking....

You need to look at the requirements for NMC registration: https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/joining-the-register/  There is this requirement: At the time of the application, the applicant must have practised as a registered nurse or midwife for at least 12 months (full time or the part-time equivalent) after qualifying. 

Having UK citizenship will make no difference to whether you're eligible to register to practice.

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Nurse West require recents acute clinical experience which the OP doesn't appear to have. Casual nurses need to be able to work without supervision.

Thanks for clarifying - I know the wards use Nurse west - didn't realise they couldn't be grads.

  • Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered trying a rural teaching hospital EG Mildura in Victoria, Bendigo again Victoria or somewhere else in a country location. Worth a try before moving to the UK. Sorry if you have already considered or tried this option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of great ideas to think about, thank you everyone 😀, just gotta keep trying and being positive, something will come up, there’s another grad recruitment coming up too and I am still eligible to apply so will also give that another shot xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Phoenix16 said:

Lots of great ideas to think about, thank you everyone 😀, just gotta keep trying and being positive, something will come up, there’s another grad recruitment coming up too and I am still eligible to apply so will also give that another shot xx

Don't forget to address the selection criteria when applying.

  • Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah!, I’m getting good at writing SC, had lots of practice!! However, could you advise what is a reasonable length of writing for each SC, with grads we have to do it in 250 words but for level 1 nursing jobs I’ve had differing opinions from nurses, one told me he would write 2-3 pages for each criteria.....? I’m trying to work out what’s the right balance to grab the recruiters attention, give enough detail without boring them too much also!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Phoenix16 said:

Yeah!, I’m getting good at writing SC, had lots of practice!! However, could you advise what is a reasonable length of writing for each SC, with grads we have to do it in 250 words but for level 1 nursing jobs I’ve had differing opinions from nurses, one told me he would write 2-3 pages for each criteria.....? I’m trying to work out what’s the right balance to grab the recruiters attention, give enough detail without boring them too much also!!

I would say short and succinct. If I am recruiting, pages upon pages I wouldn’t bother reading to be honest. Brevity is not a crime! Get to the point, move on. Good luck. It’s tough for nurses at the moment. Very different to when I moved here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phoenix16 said:

Yeah!, I’m getting good at writing SC, had lots of practice!! However, could you advise what is a reasonable length of writing for each SC, with grads we have to do it in 250 words but for level 1 nursing jobs I’ve had differing opinions from nurses, one told me he would write 2-3 pages for each criteria.....? I’m trying to work out what’s the right balance to grab the recruiters attention, give enough detail without boring them too much also!!

I usually write about a third to half a page for each, I could never write 2-3 pages ! Don't forget to provide specific examples not just say 'I am able to do .......'

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phoenix16 said:

Yeah!, I’m getting good at writing SC, had lots of practice!! However, could you advise what is a reasonable length of writing for each SC, with grads we have to do it in 250 words but for level 1 nursing jobs I’ve had differing opinions from nurses, one told me he would write 2-3 pages for each criteria.....? I’m trying to work out what’s the right balance to grab the recruiters attention, give enough detail without boring them too much also!!

Half a page - give an example as the key word is 'demonstrate'  and what the outcome was.

ETA - address any desirables too.

  • Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×