Live in childcare for overnight (sydney)

fijamez

Hi Im a single mum looking at moving to Sydney with work.   I was planning to look for live in childcare (nanny/ au pair) for my 8 year old as I will need to travel interstate for work so some overnights are inevitable.

Has anyone got experience of this and recommend site to advertise etc I would prefer someone slightly older 25+ which I appreciate is not your standard au pair    but would prefer this option to looking at weekly boarding at school

Well, if you use an agency to find someone you are going to have to pay the middle man their fee. Factor that in. 

If you want someone older who is qualified, you are probably best to use a reputable agency. I know lots of people list on Gumtree or other sites and I often see people listing on local FB pages they are looking for work so you could find someone that way. As to if thats the best way to go about it, for sole charge while you are out of town, I'd be wary. 

Have you ever had a live in nanny before? Are you wanting live in full time or are you more looking for a casual live in only when you are away sort of thing? If its the latter, you may need to have a few people to call on as not everyone on casual hours is going to be available when you may need them. 

How does your 8 year old feel about the odd night boarding at school? You could find its a great solution and one they will enjoy, perhaps more so than someone (or different people) coming into the home. 

Guest The Pom Queen

Whoever you choose make sure they have a first aid and working with children/Police check. You could look at a live in backpacker, there are a number of single people coming over who need work and accommodation. 

Guest The Pom Queen

Also don’t forget that employing someone can be a nightmare with all the paperwork etc. Although the majority are advertising at the aged care sector you could look at HireUp they pay the helper direct so you don’t have to mess around with paperwork, you can book one off days/nights, they are already police checked etc.