You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hi all, 

Fairly specific question but I think one that should apply to a lot of people. 

We're compiling documents for my Partner visa application (off-shore) and are finding that a lot of our evidence of joint cultural or social activities are tickets with only one of our names on. With no photos of us at some of the events, there's no real proof that the other one went! 

Is there any point in us including this sort of thing or will it be ignored? 

Thanks in advance! 

No holiday bookings naming you both? Flights booked together (ie sitting in seats next to each other on same flight?)

TBH I didn't include much at all of that sort of thing. One holiday booking naming us both on it was pretty much it I think. Perhaps one international flight booking we were both on also. We wrote our statements and covered the social aspect in that also. We have different interests, so said that and explained we supported each other in them (for example, I would go watch hubby play cricket or race his bike). I can't recall we wrote anything about holidays we had taken, trips to places or concerts we may have gone to. Think I did write where we spent our honeymoon but nothing to support that like the booking or flight itinerary.  

As for pics supporting that aspect, I think I had 2 from my a family wedding we attended where we were both in the formal pics along with other family members (some of whom wrote stat decs for us so we mentioned their names also and relationship to us).

I did include plenty of the more official evidence kind. Things like bills naming us both or one or the other, wills, life insurance policy naming the other, car insurance with us both named, lease, joint bank account etc. I included about half a dozen pics (we had been together about 8 years at that point) all up. 

Wow thanks for such a detailed reply. 

That's really interesting to hear how little you included. I think I've gathered more than that already! We've got plenty of flight bookings with both names on, as well as hotel/Airbnb bookings. How long was your statement out of interest? And when did you apply, recently? 

55 minutes ago, bblackbeardd said:

Wow thanks for such a detailed reply. 

That's really interesting to hear how little you included. I think I've gathered more than that already! We've got plenty of flight bookings with both names on, as well as hotel/Airbnb bookings. How long was your statement out of interest? And when did you apply, recently? 

Mine was a few pages of A4 typed. Husband's was about 5 pages of A4, handwritten. I applied about 6 years ago now, so it was a paper application. 

Things like concert tickets and stuff are hard to use I think as they don't usually name people and there is no actual proof you attended together as you said. I think the odd holiday booking and flight together is a better bet. If you have a wedding or a milestone birthday invite to the both of you, that sort of thing would be good. I always took it those were the sort of things they were after over things like cultural or social events such as sports events, concerts etc. 

On 23/05/2018 at 10:34, snifter said:

Mine was a few pages of A4 typed. Husband's was about 5 pages of A4, handwritten. I applied about 6 years ago now, so it was a paper application. 

Things like concert tickets and stuff are hard to use I think as they don't usually name people and there is no actual proof you attended together as you said. I think the odd holiday booking and flight together is a better bet. If you have a wedding or a milestone birthday invite to the both of you, that sort of thing would be good. I always took it those were the sort of things they were after over things like cultural or social events such as sports events, concerts etc. 

This is really helpful, thank you. We're not married, but are de facto as we have been together 3 years and cohabiting for 2. We just feel like we need to make up for not being married by including as much as possible. I know they'll probably not look at most of it, but it's a good idea to be paranoid about these things I think! 

7 hours ago, bblackbeardd said:

This is really helpful, thank you. We're not married, but are de facto as we have been together 3 years and cohabiting for 2. We just feel like we need to make up for not being married by including as much as possible. I know they'll probably not look at most of it, but it's a good idea to be paranoid about these things I think! 

It's a partner visa. Not a married visa. Plenty of people who are not married apply for it. 

I'd expect them to look at it all.  

FWIW, you say how little I included. It was a thick file of evidence I can assure you. It was about 5-6 years ago. It wasn't stuffed full of what I considered pretty pointless stuff like cards to us both/emails/FB chats/social stuff that didn't name us both. I submitted a few items (a handful of pics and holiday booking as I said) to cover the social aspect. At the time they specifically asked people not to send in masses of pictures or FB/chat stuff. I stuck to that (I still don't think they want pages and pages of that stuff anyways, especially if its at the expense of more documented evidence like bills/wills etc) They didn't need to see our texts/emails or FB posts of a pic of us on some day out somewhere. There was plenty of other more official evidence to show we were a couple. My husband as the sponsor also included his most recent 12 months of salary slips (with our address on of course ?  ) to show he was the main earner and supported us and then reflected on this in his statement and covered how he would support us once in Aus etc. So it all linked together. 

If you have evidence of you sharing a life together, bills naming you both or one of you but at the same address (for example, mine had council tax bills naming us both, electric in his name, phone bill in mine, all to the same address) leases/mortgage in your names, savings together, joint or your own bank accounts (and if you can show funds going between individual accounts is good), wills, life insurance naming the other, named as a driver on each others car insurance, drivers licences showing you both at the same address, those things are all good. Evidence of this stuff over the time you've been de facto, so bills from both years, from the start, middle and end IYKWIM (fwiw I included a bill or bank statement from each month of the 12 before lodging, naming one or both of us each month so they could see the year in full). If you have a holiday booking and a flight booking (or 2) showing you flying/holidaying together since you became a de facto couple, include those. Same with the odd invite to a wedding/engagement or some such.

If you wanted you could mention in your statements you like to attend concerts/plays/sports events or whatever else it is you've gone to together. That covers a social aspect in your statements then. Perhaps if you have a photo of you at an identifiable gig or something, include that if you wanted. 

Hi all, 
Fairly specific question but I think one that should apply to a lot of people. 
We're compiling documents for my Partner visa application (off-shore) and are finding that a lot of our evidence of joint cultural or social activities are tickets with only one of our names on. With no photos of us at some of the events, there's no real proof that the other one went! 
Is there any point in us including this sort of thing or will it be ignored? 
Thanks in advance! 

We have recently been granted our PR visas, and only provided statutory declarations for the social aspect of our defacto relationship.

This included a joint statement for both of us, as well as 2 stat decs from each of our sides from friends and family detailing our relationship from their viewpoint.

We were under the guidance of an agent though, who knew how much social evidence was needed depending on our other evidence provided.
Our main evidence was strong, including joint mortgage, mirror wills, and joint life insurance.

I suppose it’s better to provide too much than not enough, but each case is different.
Good luck, I know how nerve wrecking it can be!

• Like 1