You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Where to live in Melbourne

If you are interested in where to live in Melbourne and which areas offer the most work/play opportunities then take a look at the latest CityPulse report.

A quick snapshot is below with Richmond being declared the best suburb to live in.

Richmond was followed by Hawthorn, Hawthorn East and Moonee Ponds. Inner-city suburbs dominated the metropolitan top 10, which also included Northcote, Prahran and Malvern.

The report also found:

DOCKLANDS, central Melbourne and Southbank were best for employment. But while the inner-city dominated the “work” category, the western suburbs of Truganina and Tarneit also scored highly, reflecting jobs spikes in growth corridors.

CENTRAL Melbourne was unsurprisingly rated best for “play”, thanks to its dining, entertainment and sports attractions. It was followed by St Kilda, East Melbourne and Albert Park.

THE city’s north, especially the outer suburbs, struggled for jobs and infrastructure was failing to match population growth.

THE west was all work and no play — jobs growth was strong but entertainment options were limited. It had fewer parks and gardens than eastern suburbs.

BEST SUBURBS TO LIVE

1. Richmond - 10

2. Hawthorn East - 9.7

3. Hawthorn - 9.7

4. Moonee Ponds - 9.4

5. Northcote - 9.3

6. Prahran/Windsor - 8.7

7. Malvern/Glen Iris - 8.6

8. Essendon/Aberfeldie - 8.5

9= Brunswick, Carnegie - 8.3

BEST SUBURBS TO PLAY

1. Melbourne - 10

2. St Kilda - 9.5

3. East Melbourne - 9.4

4. Albert Park - 9.3

5= Southbank, Prahran/Windsor - 9.2

7= Richmond, Malvern/Glen Iris, South Yarra east - 8.9

10. Sth Yarra west - 8.8

BEST SUBURBS TO WORK

1. Docklands - 10

2. Melbourne - 9.1

3. Southbank - 8.9

4. East Melbourne - 7.9

5. South Yarra west - 7.4

6. Truganina - 7.2

7. Albert Park - 7.1

8= Richmond, Tarneit - 7.0

10. Hawthorn - 6.8

More in-depth Information can be found here https://www.pwc.com.au/agendas/cities/citypulse/melbourne.html

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Seriously?  Richmond? 

I can't think of anywhere worse personally!! Not one of those burbs would appeal to me and for me they would be right at the bottom of a desirable place to live list. Pollution pollution pollution.  Makes you wonder who or what sort of person dreams up these lists.  Probably real estate agents I guess.

• Like 1

Agreed that Richmond would be diabolical.

All I can think about is the stress of trying to drive down Bridge Road. It seems to be teeming with Vietnamese people and the houses are tiny terricase about 3 feet wide. Shocking place.

Hawthorn would be lovely as is most of the Eastern Suburbs.

I want it all, and I want it now.

11 minutes ago, Parley said:

All I can think about is the stress of trying to drive down Bridge Road. It seems to be teeming with Vietnamese people and the houses are tiny terricase about 3 feet wide. Shocking place.

And what is stressful or shocking about a place "teeming with Vietnamese people"?

You try it. It is horrible.

6 minutes ago, Parley said:

You try it. It is horrible.

Well I have and I don't see it the same way, and you haven't clarified why exactly you find Vietnamese people in Richmond "horrible" etc. Your posts sound very racist, and I'm not sure if you're aware of it at all or simply don't care.

Fair enough.

On 23/05/2018 at 21:03, WizardOfOz said:

Well I have and I don't see it the same way, and you haven't clarified why exactly you find Vietnamese people in Richmond "horrible" etc. Your posts sound very racist, and I'm not sure if you're aware of it at all or simply don't care.

He is aware and he is proud of his racism. Years of posts bear this out. 

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship