Australian Citizenship Test Errors

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

For any of our members who are taking their citizenship test soon it may be worth while reading the following.

A question in the Australian citizenship test lists three incorrect answers for the country's population size, potentially disadvantaging candidates, SBS News has learned.

An applicant from the UK – who asked to remain anonymous – told SBS News of the apparent error after sitting the test this week.

The woman said she had meticulously prepared for the test by reading the recommended preparation booklet called Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond.

The Department of Home Affairs says the booklet has "all the information you need to help you pass the citizenship test".

The English-language booklet currently lists Australia's population as "about 24 million people".

The applicant SBS News spoke to said she was "about five or six questions into the test and a question came up about population ".

"I knew from the booklet that [Australia's] population is 'about 24 million' … But that was not an option. The three options were '18 million', '22 million' and '30 million'," she said.

The woman raised her hand during the test and told the examiner she knew the answer was 24 million according to the booklet.

"I told the examiner, 'I think there's a mistake in the exam' ... He said 22 million is the right one."

"He said the system is 'difficult' to update [and] wasn't surprised about it."

The woman selected the answer of 22 million and went on to pass the test. While she said it was "all a really bizarre experience," she was more worried about the broader implications of the error.

"It made me think, 'well, I know 22 million is wrong, I know 18 million is wrong, should I just put 30 million?'"

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/french/en/article/2018/05/17/theres-mistake-australian-citizenship-test?cx_navSource=related-side-cx#cxrecs_s