Jump to content

Tax file number

    Recommended Posts

    My husband and I have validated our PR Visas and will be moving over to Australia in 2-3 months time. Is there any issue or tax implications with requesting our Tax file numbers whilst we are still in the UK? My husband would like to sort ABN ahead of the move (which requires a tax file number) and I need to request a Medicare provider number (I haven't yet looked into whether this needs a TFN).

    We have some money in an Australian bank account which a bank clerk mentioned may be subject to 10% tax if we don't have a TFN?

    Many thanks


    • Like 1

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hello Ayda.

    It is not possible to obtain a Tax File Number through the ATO's web page if you are not yet physically in Australia.

    You can seek a TFN via a paper form - but suitably certified hard copy documentation will need to delivered to the ATO.

    Is probably best to lodge the TFN application as soon as you arrive in Australia, though I acknowledge the relative urgency (ie obtaining an ABN).

    Best regards.

    Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

    Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

    Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

    T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

    E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    Important Information

    We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By continuing to use our site, you also accept our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use