ayda

Tax file number

My husband and I have validated our PR Visas and will be moving over to Australia in 2-3 months time. Is there any issue or tax implications with requesting our Tax file numbers whilst we are still in the UK? My husband would like to sort ABN ahead of the move (which requires a tax file number) and I need to request a Medicare provider number (I haven't yet looked into whether this needs a TFN).

We have some money in an Australian bank account which a bank clerk mentioned may be subject to 10% tax if we don't have a TFN?

Many thanks

Ayda

• Like 1

Hello Ayda.

It is not possible to obtain a Tax File Number through the ATO's web page if you are not yet physically in Australia.

You can seek a TFN via a paper form - but suitably certified hard copy documentation will need to delivered to the ATO.

Is probably best to lodge the TFN application as soon as you arrive in Australia, though I acknowledge the relative urgency (ie obtaining an ABN).

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com