Naplan tests

starlight7

Should they be abolished?  Some teachers are saying it is unfair that  people judge a school on their test results.  Personally I can't see anything wrong with this and think people need all the information they can get about the performance of different schools. There is a state school near here that has dire results and if I was in the education department I would go in there and find out what is going wrong and perhaps get a new head teacher for them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Should they be abolished?  Some teachers are saying it is unfair that  people judge a school on their test results.  Personally I can't see anything wrong with this and think people need all the information they can get about the performance of different schools. There is a state school near here that has dire results and if I was in the education department I would go in there and find out what is going wrong and perhaps get a new head teacher for them.

The same as with SATS there really shouldn't any surprises at result time, teachers shouldn't need test results to highlight weaknesses in individual students and if they do perhaps it's time to look at a different profession.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not against the testing, however, some schools do put children under a lot of pressure at this time.  I do wonder if testing throughout a year would be better coupled with independent marking of work done in a term (some children don't perform well in tests).  In the UK my children's schools did nothing but NAPLAN tests for several weeks before the 'real exams' because the 'results' were so important.