Partner Visa Concerns

23 hours ago, Wiganer said:

Why would the pr be refused? I can understand having to pay back owed monies. Wouldn't they fail that character check if they had been criminally convicted of fraud?  Also how would the actions of the sponsoring single parent effect their partners application for pr????

Been 'criminally convicted of fraud' ? If someone's found to have acted fraudulently surely it's not ok as long as you haven't been actually convicted? Fraud is fraud. As you mention,  it is the actions of the sponsoring parent and not the partner in question but maybe immi would refuse based on them not being a suitable sponsor if they are found to be a fraudster. I'd expect the partner would be questioned too about whether he knew she was still claiming, he'd know she had to be getting her money from somewhere. If you know a crime is being committed and turn a blind eye you are as guilty and if that's the case he's not the sort of person Oz wants there. 

3 hours ago, Wiganer said:

So they wouldn't have the chance to pay back monies owed to rectify that? Seems harsh if it's a genuine relationship. I hope everything goes ok for Re2011 and her partners visa. I think Re2011 should contact Centrelink and let them know at least then immigration can see they have tried to rectify their error?

What just now it suits them they can pay it back and it be all ok?  It doesn't seem harsh, if it's a genuine relationship then they should have acted as such. Yes of course they should contact centrelink to let them know. As for immi seeing it as trying to rectify an error, I don't think they'd see it as an error. Thr OP even asks if it will have financial implications for her, really? Surely if it was a genuine mistake she should want to pay it all back now she realises she has obtained money that she wasn't entitled to. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

What just now it suits them they can pay it back and it be all ok?  It doesn't seem harsh, if it's a genuine relationship then they should have acted as such. Yes of course they should contact centrelink to let them know. As for immi seeing it as trying to rectify an error, I don't think they'd see it as an error. Thr OP even asks if it will have financial implications for her, really? Surely if it was a genuine mistake she should want to pay it all back now she realises she has obtained money that she wasn't entitled to. 

Not making any judgements here, but it does seem strange that a person can be filling in two sets of official documents, and describe themselves as "single" on one and " de facto" on the other......

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Not making any judgements here, but it does seem strange that a person can be filling in two sets of official documents, and describe themselves as "single" on one and " de facto" on the other......

Exactly, two declarations, two different answers 

• Like 1

Looks to me like Re2011 has been engaged in benefit fraud. You can't be in receipt of a single parent payment from Centrelink and living with a partner by mistake - that is a fully conscious thing. You can't just undo criminal behaviour when it no longer suits you. I have very little sympathy for dole bludgers; they give a bad name to (and bring blanket sanctions upon) the many people who actually depend on social security income. 

• Like 2

It's very likely centrelink will prosecute the person claiming the single parent payment. It's not like the old days when all you had to do was pay back the money. The generally do take it further these days as clearly it's fraud. You can't claim to be single to gain financially and then oh no we are a couple now because he's losing his visa. I'm sorry but this just stinks of someone chancing on not getting caught and abusing the system. If i'm wrong on this i'm sorry. However i don't think i am in which case you've both been very silly/stupid to play this game and i think the visa will be refused and prosecution for benefit fraud will be coming your way along with paying back the money. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/05/2018 at 22:10, Guest said:

My partner is currently on a 457 visa which is set to expire at the end of August. He has engaged lawyers and with recent changes the government has made, he is unable to apply for PR on his own, and the only way he can stay in Australia, we've been advised, is by applying or a partner visa with myself (Aussie citizen). We are a 1100% genuine couple and met in Jan 2016, dated for a while and moved in officially in Jan 2017. I have a son (not to him) and we've been living together as a family since then. 

My concerns are that I never registered as a couple with Centrelink (I received a single parent pension for a period of time). Is this something that they can cross check, and if so will it have implications for me financially if I was on a single parent payment? It wasn't for any convoluted reasons, just pure naivety. 

I'm really worried this will jeopardise our application but also have financial consequences also which is giving me extreme anxiety and worries :(

Thanks in advance.

Any updates on how your situation went ? Im kind of in the same situation right now .