Divemaster Scuba Diving Course - Advice

Hello all

I am looking for advice on where to do my PADI Divemaster course for 2 months in late September this year. For context I am a qualified PADI Rescue Diver and have all the requirements needed to do my Divemaster course. I am also a Marine Biologist, so any advice on dive organisations that have a science/conservation focus would be a huge bonus!

I am looking for advice on: 1. Location and 2. Dive Course

1. Location - all my previous dive experiences have been actually on the reef, rather than in cities which take out dive boats to the reef every day. I would like to find a location in Aus that is an island-diving community, rather than that city-living feel (such as in Cairns or Brisbane) which take a boat out to the reef every day which can take ages.

2. Dive Course - once I know of a good location, I can find dive shops myself. However I would love some recommendations on specific diveshops/courses that also match my location requirements above. I am looking for a 6-8 week course which combines me working for free, full time in the diveshop with a cheaper dive course package. Rather than a 3 week intensive course which has a $$$$ price tag to match. I dont want to go over the 2 months as I will be moving to Melbourne mid/late November

At this stage any advice or help on my request will be helpful :)

Many thanks

Meg

Guest The Pom Queen

If you are looking for Island Diving your options aren’t going to be great. On the East Coast you are going to have the Whitsundays, Fitzroy,  Heron, Lizard and Lady Elliot but to be honest most are going to have the high price tags. Also you aren’t going to get any operators out there who will employ you etc.

I really would consider Cairns and the diveshops like Pro Dive, Quicksilver etc.

If money was no object I’d take a look at the live a board dive safari run by Michael Ball, his excursions are known as the best in Australia and many book just to dive at Cod Hole. https://www.mikeball.com/liveaboard-scuba-diving-australia/special-expeditions/

On the West Coast I know you have the reef of Exmouth but I’ve never been so can’t advise sorry.

• 5 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 15/10/2018 at 21:16, KD79UK said:

You can also try Divers Den they are awesome and they have a boat  Ocean Quest that stays out on the Reef....Not sure how easy it is to get a spot for that course though?

That’s where my eldest did his. They did run courses every week back then. 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 19/10/2018 at 22:47, Snoopy said:

Hi @meharvey1 where did you end up going? If I’d seen this months ago I would have suggested Melbourne as there’s plenty of shore dives and marine conservation groups to get involved with

It’s a bit chilly down there lol. Although I’m told the seahorses Under rosebud pier were amazing