Tax rebate on UK teacher's pension???

Fisher1

Hi all

I'm trying to organise Undeducted purchase price information for my UK teachers' pension. I have located and downloaded a form issued by the Australian government but am a bit foggy about the next step - do I send the form to the Australian tax authority for help, or do I contact Teachers' Pensions' and ask for information?  I'm hoping there might be a retired UK teacher out there who can offer advice.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks both, I've already used Alan Collet for tax advice before we left the UK (that's how I know about the undeducted purchase price, thank you Allan) and intend to use a tax accountant when the time comes.  I am trying to find out as much as I can first because I believe I am the one who has to ask the pension provider in the UK for this information. I saw a discussion on here some time ago and am convinced I saw a post from someone saying that their teachers' pension was paid with the UDP taken off - was hoping for first hand experience.  

Appreciate your replies.

• Like 2

I believe that was me who posted in relation to this.  You need to contact Teachers Pension and get a statement from them as to the actual pension contributions paid by yourself from your salary, then complete the form and send it off to the ATO who will then work out and let you know your tax free amount.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

I believe that was me who posted in relation to this.  You need to contact Teachers Pension and get a statement from them as to the actual pension contributions paid by yourself from your salary, then complete the form and send it off to the ATO who will then work out and let you know your tax free amount.

Hi,. Thanks very much for following this up.  It's just confirmation that The teachers' pension is elligible for this tax reduction I was after really - the Teachers' Pensions website has been less than helpful but I will keep on now that I'm on the right track!

5 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

No problem.  Just to be clear you need to send the statement from Teachers Pension with the form and its the amount you paid yourself from your salary they are interested in, not any employer contributions.

Thanks for that - I contacted them yesterday so hopefully they'll cough up the info and I can finally get my tax sorted ?