mrsr1976

Are you looking to rent or buy there? I live nearby. To be honest I'm not sure what it's like as never really venture there myself and don't know anyone else that lives in that area. It's close to the hospital and train station. What do you want to know and I can try to answer your questions. Also what are your circumstances? Where do u live now? What would be te ideal situation when u relocate? Close to work? Outdoors? Good schools? Beach? City life?

Agree with drumbeat - from what I've seen driving through the area there are some nice houses but the area itself seems a little rough. My friend is a teacher in the neighbouring suburb of Hillman and she tells me that's also pretty run down. If you're looking to rent initially you can get some great deals in Rockingham at the moment in much nicer areas. The areas to the south side of the foreshore are lovely, as are palm beach estate and the anchorage estate. You can pick up a nice modern unit which is a 5 minute walk to the beach for around 350 a week

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Rockingham 48 years and Cooloongup is ok with both new / nice houses and some not as good.  Most houses in Cooloongup will still be bigger than your every day UK home.  There definitely nicer suburbs within the area of Rockingham.  Try Safety Bay, Warnbro, Port Kennedy, or more near the old beach front part of Rockingham.  Of cause the closer to the ocean the higher the rent.  However houses in general in Rockingham are way lower than suburbs of Perth due to their distance from Perth central.  I commuted daily to Perth via train and it's not a bad run.  Clean train, but it does get busy at peak times.  You will find a high English population in Rockingham.  In the 60's most of the English that moved across came over and worked in the Kwinana Industrial strip. Rockingham is right on the beach and what a beach it is, so you will like the area as a whole.  Very big shopping centre and infrastructure is good (medical centre, hospitals, commercial / business centre etc, vets). Good luck.