Time limit to travel after visa being granted

I’ve just been granted a 457 visa. 

Due to the delay in visa processing the timing has meant presently there is a shortfall in work in the office I was meant to start in. The job offer hasn’t been rescinded yet but I’m not sure where I stand. I’m working in the UK for the same company, although different division. 

I cant even check my visa conditions as my company submitted the application.

Question:

1. Is there a time limit on starting the new job in Australia or can I wait it out until things pick up?

2. Can I transfer the visa to another company in Australia before I travel and start work for the nominated company?

Any help appreciated!

Neil, don’t pack up your belongings, don’t sell the house.....you are tied to the company whom your 457 is linked to.   I’m not sure what you are saying, reading between the lines, has their been a downturn in work for them or have they found a suitable Aussie to fill the job?

457’s are not what they were, Australia has also changed in terms of the job market. I championed 457’s for that is how we arrived here but it is oh so different now.  Do not imagine that a job on the visa list is a wanted job, trust me there are so many OZ graduates I’m actually surprised they have a list at all these days.  And, I can honestly say for every job I have applied for in recent times they will only ever consider Australian PR or citizens.

That's not good news.   Be careful about committing to the move unless you're confident the company will have work for you.  We have had members who've moved on a 457 and been made redundant shortly after - which meant they had 90 days to leave the country unless they could find another employer willing to sponsor.   

On 5/8/2018 at 23:33, Neil Paterson said:

I’ve just been granted a 457 visa. 

Due to the delay in visa processing the timing has meant presently there is a shortfall in work in the office I was meant to start in. The job offer hasn’t been rescinded yet but I’m not sure where I stand. I’m working in the UK for the same company, although different division. 

I cant even check my visa conditions as my company submitted the application.

Yes you can. You can go onto the VEVO system through the Immigration website and check your own visa status.

Note, that the company (or their representative)  must send you a copy of the visa approval.

1. Is there a time limit on starting the new job in Australia or can I wait it out until things pick up?

There is no  requirement for the visa holder to arrive in Australia within a particular time frame, other than before their visa expires, however, if the arrival of a visa holder is significantly delayed, Immigration may question whether the visa is still required.

2. Can I transfer the visa to another company in Australia before I travel and start work for the nominated company?

Yes.

12 minutes ago, Neil Paterson said:

Thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated. 

How long a period is classed as a significant delay?

Surely they would allow time for me to sell house etc?

Given the uncertainty already and the state of the 457 as it is today, are you really sure about selling the house? The 457 is a temp visa and if you are made redundant and cannot find another sponsor, you have to leave the country. Its not permanent and I'd honestly say hold off selling the house on a 457 as you could find yourself rather stuffed if things don't work out (and on a 457 they often don't).

Again, why sell the house. You could be waiting months for that to happen and immigration may be curious as to why, when a visa has been granted and the post filled, is no one making use of it and the post remains empty and visa not used. 

Selling up on a 457 is a big risk. You cannot consider it a permanent move these days, or even a springboard to PR as for many its not. Its a shorter term visa and has an end date on it. Companies need someone for X amount of years to fill a post, not have it sit unfilled and the employee still overseas for months and months. 

On 08/05/2018 at 15:50, Phoenix16 said:

Neil, don’t pack up your belongings, don’t sell the house.....you are tied to the company whom your 457 is linked to.   I’m not sure what you are saying, reading between the lines, has their been a downturn in work for them or have they found a suitable Aussie to fill the job?

Thanks for your reply.

Theres a downturn in the office in general, however I don’t think it has significantly affected the department i am transferring to as yet. I signed an employment contract and relocation contract with dates TBC. My job in the UK is also looking less certain, and my boss here wants me to hand over my knowledge to my replacement. This could only happen to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Paterson said:

Thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated. 

How long a period is classed as a significant delay?

Surely they would allow time for me to sell house etc?

Am also going to say do not sell your house. You have a temp visa. It is vital you understand that this is all you have and need to assume you will be returning to the UK at the end of it. Possibly a lot earlier if you lose your job. You are not migrating, you are going to be working away for a while, that's all. 

6 hours ago, Neil Paterson said:

Thanks for your reply.

Theres a downturn in the office in general, however I don’t think it has significantly affected the department i am transferring to as yet. I signed an employment contract and relocation contract with dates TBC. My job in the UK is also looking less certain, and my boss here wants me to hand over my knowledge to my replacement. This could only happen to me!

Your comment ‘as yet....’ indicates some degree of uncertainty and a 457 is so the wrong visa to arrive in OZ on if there is even a sniff of uncertainty.  It really was once the ‘golden ticket’, but not anymore and will just cause you such stress if there is any uncertainty in your job security.  If Australia interests you then I would really recommend you look into permanent visas as your route of entry, so many more opportunities will be available to you with a permanent visa.  I wish you all the best on your journey xxx