register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Petra & Dave

deciding if I need to do the Ielts test

Guest Petra & Dave

Starting to get together the documents needed for the visa application and our agent has said to do the ielts test as a back up as DIAC are always changing the goal posts, When I have done the online points test they have come out at 130 and for a skilled perm visa the points needed is 120 (unless changed) here is how the score is broken down , Can any one advise if this is all correct

Occupation 60

Age 15

English 25

specific work

experience 10

Occupation in

demand 15

Partner skills 5

I hate taking this type of test unless i really have to and its extra money to pay out

I have emailed our agent as well over this

Thanks Dave

Guest Scamp1976

If you don't do IELTS you only get 15 points if you live in an English country ( otherwise you get none ) Without IELTS, the absolute maximum points you get is 15, not 25. So you only get 120 points, the bare minimum. Get the IELTS done, it's an easy ( although stressful ) test. We did it yesterday ! ... took us from 06:00 ( sitting in the car driving to Amsterdam ) to 17:00 when we were back home again ( we did go shopping after the test though, I think we were done with all the tests at about 13:00 ).

Search for IELTS.Pack on google if you want reference materials.

We did the test and it wasn't very hard to be honest ( we did the Academic one ).

If you speak english daily, I suggest you do the Academic test, it's worth it's weight in gold once you have it ( if you don't have IELTS you cannot study in Australia, from what we've heard ).

Hiya,

Looking at your points breakdown, I think you only get 25 points for English if you have pasted the ielts test (15 points is usually given for British Citizens) but as you have already stated if you total up the points you don't need the extra 10 points gained by taking the ielts test, so I wouldn't bother unless it is an employment requirement. The only other point you may need to consider is the 5 points for your partners skills and if they would need to get their skills assessed as this may cost more than the £100 for the ielts test. If it does turn out that you need to take the English test don't worry to much its not that difficult and you can lend books from you local library to help you understand the format. (I did the ielts test in April, feel free to PM if you want the names of the books that I used).

I think you doing the right thing to check your points with your agent before booking the test as maybe there is a specific reason or new guideline.

Best of Luck x

175 submitted June 08, CO end Nov 08, meds and police checks done Jan 09 - visa granted Feb 09

Suggesting you take the IELTS when it is not necessary to meet the points pass mark is surprising.

I would focus on lodging your visa application, as increases in the points pass mark (and I hasten to add that one is not anticipated - by me at least) ought not impact on applications that have been submitted to DIAC already.

I assume your partner also meets the threshold requirements (including a migration skills assessment classification) so the 5 points for spouse skills are reasonably secure.

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com