You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Alligator-eyes

How to break the news

I wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if this is not the right place.

Our visas have been approved and it's definitely happening. How do I tell my family?? 

Depends on you and your family really. You know the best. Do they know you’d applied? Or is it going to be a bolt out of the blue. Tbh if it’s the latter expect a not great reaction. Even if they know you applied they may take the finality of it badly. But it’s not like it’s unexpected. 

Openly and honestly. No-one can tell you how they’re going to react. Their response could be anywhere from “that’s it, you’re dead to us from now on” through to “what fabulous news, we will be booking our tickets to come and see you every year!” And all stations in between.

Dont be surprised if you get the grief stricken “you’re ruining lives by taking the grandkids away” and lots of tears. 

Youll have to be selfish and self sufficient to make a go of it so now’s as good a time as any to start practicing.

• Like 4

Thanks guys.

They know we were looking into it.

I think that it's not going to be as bad as I think it will be. I was out in Australia for two years straight after university and also lived in Italy for a year, so they're used to me not being around all the time.  

• Like 2

Just do it along the lines of “we’re moving to God’s Country”.  There is no comeback 

• Like 1

The sooner the better, give them as much time to adjust as you can, and just keep positively reinforcing how great it all is!!

1 hour ago, Alligator-eyes said:

Thanks guys.

They know we were looking into it.

I think that it's not going to be as bad as I think it will be. I was out in Australia for two years straight after university and also lived in Italy for a year, so they're used to me not being around all the time.  

Ah, but they knew you would be back eventually. This is different.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, but they knew you would be back eventually. This is different.

I think as parents we always think our children will come back to us at some stage.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

3 hours ago, Alligator-eyes said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if this is not the right place.

Our visas have been approved and it's definitely happening. How do I tell my family?? 

We told ours at the beginning. The MIL didn’t think we would ever do it and my mother disowned me for 4 years. She eventually got in touch around 10 years back and came out to stay for 3 months. She absolutely loves it here and apologised for being so selfish. Both sets of parents have visited on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.