renewing tourist visa 600

Greensgran

Hi all can anyone who has done this please help me with a few queries. We are currently in Australia for one year on a tourist visa 600. We would like to extend this and apply for a further twelve months. We understand that we have to be offshore to apply for this and have been advised to apply for visa while taking a holiday in another country. The visa is granted electronically and takes about a week normally. Is this visa only renewable once,meaning you cannot have more than two years running concurrently? Our daughter is an Australian citizen who has had major surgery and we have been here to offer help with the family. she may need further treatment,hence our reason to stay longer.We seem to get confusing information when we have contacted department of immigration,nothing is at all clear. If anyone has done this can you offer any advice? Many thanks.

This bit of info refers to the visa 600.  

Visitor visas are designed for people whose intention is to visit Australia for short periods. They cannot generally be used for staying in Australia longer than 12 months and cannot be used to establish ongoing residence in Australia.  Someone far more au fait with visas will be along with more advice I'm sure.

The worry with this is that even if you did get a second visa, Immigration would almost certainly take a dim view if you applied a third time. It would look as though you're trying to stay in Australia permanently by the back door.   

You don't want to risk getting locked out of Australia in the future, so rather than relying on forum advice, I'd be contacting a reputable agent like Go Matilda for advice on the best way forward.

There have been several people over on the Parent Visa thread obtaining 600 visas while waiting for their 143 visas.

As I understand, 600 visas are normally for a three-year period, but have a number of conditions attached and it seems to be potluck as to which conditions you get.

You may get a condition allowing multiple entries with a maximum of 12 months each stay. Or you may get multiple entries with a maximum of 12 months in an 18 months period (which means you have to leave Australia for 6 months between each 12 months visit).

There are also other conditions regarding health insurance, but again it’s random if any condition will be applied.

You could also consider the new parent visa (due to open soon), which is for 3 or 5 years and is basically an expensive 600 visa, but allowing the holder to stay for the full visa period.

Edited by SusieRoo

thank you so much for clarifying this for me. I am not looking for a back door,way in. We would apply for parental visa if we met the requirements,don't meet the balance of family with three children and only one an Australian citizen. They are all in their40's,not dependant, so don't see why this condition. However,I don't make the rules. Our 600 visa is multiple en try and says 12months in 18months. does this apply from date granted or date validated,two months difference.The new visa,if it ever happens, is proposed to be ridiculously expensive and if you are here ten years does. not allow permenant residencyWe will check with department of immigration again but if we have to leave for six months unlikely we will apply for another year.frustrating.

Providing your visa conditions allow it, you can apply for an extension online whilst your in Australia. You must have sufficient time left on your current visa to allow for the application to go through. Whether anyone has received this I can't find out, perhaps someone on the forum knows.

The other thing to consider is that once you leave Australia and are not allowed back in until you have a new visa, your travel options are limited. No country will allow you to enter the country on a one way ticket unless you have the right to remain there. I.e. You can't fly to Bali on a one way ticket to apply for a new visa and you can't book a return ticket back to Australia unless you have a visa to enter. The airlines check this when you check in as they are the ones who get fined. You can of course have a flexible ticket so that you stop in Bali and have the next leg to another country. You then cancel that return and rebook to another destination I.e. Australia when you get the next visa. It is obviously fraught with problems as to timings and whether you get another visa and it's also very expensive.

Today a one way flight back to the UK is about $1000 and if you are a Brit this is probably the least stressful way. I would be very happy for someone to prove me wrong with the travel issues because if our application to extend our 600 fails the travel conundrum kicks in for us.

24 minutes ago, Greensgran said:

thank you so much for clarifying this for me. I am not looking for a back door,way in. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you were looking for a back door way in.  I'm just thinking about how an Immigration officer might look at it, since they're paid to be suspicious!

thanks,just trying to get some clarification on what we can legally do.it is a minefield and very unsettling.were told by department immigration we just had to leave country for few days and reapply.visa says cannot apply for substansive visa while onshore.

6 hours ago, Greensgran said:

thanks,just trying to get some clarification on what we can legally do.it is a minefield and very unsettling.were told by department immigration we just had to leave country for few days and reapply.visa says cannot apply for substansive visa while onshore.

Do not take advice from the immigration department. As suggested further up the thread you should speak to a MARA agent. 

7 hours ago, Greensgran said:

thank you so much for clarifying this for me. I am not looking for a back door,way in. We would apply for parental visa if we met the requirements,don't meet the balance of family with three children and only one an Australian citizen. They are all in their40's,not dependant, so don't see why this condition. However,I don't make the rules. Our 600 visa is multiple en try and says 12months in 18months. does this apply from date granted or date validated,two months difference.The new visa,if it ever happens, is proposed to be ridiculously expensive and if you are here ten years does. not allow permenant residencyWe will check with department of immigration again but if we have to leave for six months unlikely we will apply for another year.frustrating.

I think the 600 visa clock will only start from the date you enter Australia.

Also the balance of the family test does not apply to the new parent visa, and yes, it's going to be ridiculously expensive.

Guest wm_shi

On 06/05/2018 at 05:46, SusieRoo said:

There have been several people over on the Parent Visa thread obtaining 600 visas while waiting for their 143 visas.

As I understand, 600 visas are normally for a three-year period, but have a number of conditions attached and it seems to be potluck as to which conditions you get.

You may get a condition allowing multiple entries with a maximum of 12 months each stay. Or you may get multiple entries with a maximum of 12 months in an 18 months period (which means you have to leave Australia for 6 months between each 12 months visit).

There are also other conditions regarding health insurance, but again it’s random if any condition will be applied.

You could also consider the new parent visa (due to open soon), which is for 3 or 5 years and is basically an expensive 600 visa, but allowing the holder to stay for the full visa period.

I am interested in the new parent visa. What's the sub class code and is there any official links to read more of it?

54 minutes ago, wm_shi said:

I am interested in the new parent visa. What's the sub class code and is there any official links to read more of it?

it doesn't exist yet, its still in the same planning phase that its been in for the last couple of years.

6 hours ago, wm_shi said:

You can follow this link for info on the new temp parent visa     https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visi/temporary-sponsored-visa-parents/faq

There is a hold up due to a new bill passing though parliament, which I think is now on it's third reading. So it should be open by the end of this year if not sooner. 

There's going to be 15,000 places per year and these could fill very quickly. If you are going to apply, you first have to get AoS approval and it would be worth getting everything prepared beforehand to save time. You should be able to find all the details on Centrelink's website https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/assurance-support