Australian Citizenship - Is it worth getting?

Saurer Pfirsich

1 hour ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Does spoiling your ballot paper (be hard not to, based on your description of it!) carry a financial penalty too? That might be an answer for the uninterested or apathetic if not. Spoil the paper and save yourself a bit of time!

No, it can't possibly, because voting is anonymous - so they can't tell you messed up their ballot paper.

It's called an "informal" vote (don't ask my why).  Lots of people do it, sometimes as a kind of protest at being forced to vote.  

Does spoiling your ballot paper (be hard not to, based on your description of it!) carry a financial penalty too? That might be an answer for the uninterested or apathetic if not. Spoil the paper and save yourself a bit of time!

No, it can't possibly, because voting is anonymous - so they can't tell you messed up their ballot paper.

It's called an "informal" vote (don't ask my why).  Lots of people do it, sometimes as a kind of protest at being forced to vote.  

Does spoiling your ballot paper (be hard not to, based on your description of it!) carry a financial penalty too? 

No.  Not only is it anonymous, as has been pointed out....but you don't actually have to vote.  All you have to do to avoid the fine is to turn up to the polling booth and have your name ticked off  the electoral roll.  They will hand you the voting paper to fill out....but you could leave it completely blank if you wished.

• Like 1

Australian citizenship was always our intention from the onset of gaining our skilled migrant visa , and as soon as we were eligible we went ahead and gained it . For us it gave us the security of having citenship in a country that we had chosen to become our forever  home for ourselves and our children . We no longer have to consider a PR visa or the restrictions to travel and have the security of knowing that ourselves but especially our children have dual citizenship . There is no way of knowing what the future holds for any of us and how things change sometimes beyond our control . I was not taking any chances for my children and was always going to ensure they had the security of dual citizenship .We all feel extremely privaledged and very proud to be both Australian and British citizens and with this can now continue to enjoy our lives here knowing we don’t have to worry about any of the new changes to citenship rules, but more importantly my children won’t have to worry about it in the future had we not ensured it for them 

• Like 4