Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Mandy3112

Enrolling into school on temp Visa

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice from anyone else in my situation. We came to Sydney in January on a 3 month visitor Visa. We have just applied for the Last remaining relative Visa (835) and been accepted and granted a BVA WA, with rights to study. 

Does this mean I do not have to pay the school fees for my daughter to go into primary school? Or are we classed as temp residents even though we are awaiting PR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mandy3112 said:

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice from anyone else in my situation. We came to Sydney in January on a 3 month visitor Visa. We have just applied for the Last remaining relative Visa (835) and been accepted and granted a BVA WA, with rights to study. 

Does this mean I do not have to pay the school fees for my daughter to go into primary school? Or are we classed as temp residents even though we are awaiting PR?

You aren't a permanent resident until PR is granted, which on a Remaining Resident Visa could be many years in the future.

You would need to check with the schools about rules for people on Bridging Visas

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Page 7 seems to have the short answer, it would be treated like a temporary visa. That's a shedload of cash over the years as the waiting time on Remainng Resident is over 50 years.

Good luck Mandy, hope you have thought your plan through well :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, I have been in touch with the dept of education and the fees are 5k per year. This I don't have a problem with as I only have one child. It's a small price to pay to give her a better education than she was receiving in the uk. 

The processing time for my Visa is unfortunate, but again, trivial when it gives us a life with our family rather than being in an austerity ridden Scotland with terrible health care and crap weather!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mandy3112 said:

Thank you, I have been in touch with the dept of education and the fees are 5k per year. This I don't have a problem with as I only have one child. It's a small price to pay to give her a better education than she was receiving in the uk. 

The processing time for my Visa is unfortunate, but again, trivial when it gives us a life with our family rather than being in an austerity ridden Scotland with terrible health care and crap weather!

I'm surprised.  My ex-husband was a teacher in both the Scottish and Australian systems and felt the Scottish system was superior.   No argument about health care, although given you're not entitled to use most of the public system, you're not going to get the best chance to compare. 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm surprised.  My ex-husband was a teacher in both the Scottish and Australian systems and felt the Scottish system was superior.   No argument about health care, although given you're not entitled to use most of the public system, you're not going to get the best chance to compare. 

The Scottish system used to be brilliant but a new curriculum was introduced in approx 2010 and it's been going downhill ever since. I was at a training course in Sydney not long ago and got chatting to 3 other teachers who migrated from Scotland in the last year or so. From what they were saying the new system there is a complete shambles and experienced teachers are leaving from all over.  One of those things that looks good in theory but doesn't actually work but Govt isn't listening to teachers so it's unlikely to get any better. Such a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:41, Mandy3112 said:

Thank you, I have been in touch with the dept of education and the fees are 5k per year. This I don't have a problem with as I only have one child. It's a small price to pay to give her a better education than she was receiving in the uk. 

The processing time for my Visa is unfortunate, but again, trivial when it gives us a life with our family rather than being in an austerity ridden Scotland with terrible health care and crap weather!

Hi Mandy, I don't know how old your child is, but It might be worth starting some sort of saving fund in case your child wants to study at Uni (given the waiting time for this visa). 


I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×