Australian infrastructure not keeping pace with international student migration

Cerberus1

Housing investments, not flashy infrastructure projects, are needed if Australia is to successfully manage a migration program supercharged by international students, according to experts.

The call follows news last week that Australia has taken in 525,000 international students this year, a 12% increase compared to last year, itself a record.

Glen Searle, honorary associate professor in planning at Sydney University, said the Federal Government's response to immigration so far has been "totally inadequate" and it now has a "moral responsibility" to deliver investment required by Australia's immigration program.

In the case of international students, he argues that means more affordable housing.

"There's been quite a build-up of student accommodation, but it's nowhere near enough," he said.

"Universities, perhaps with some Federal Government funding, should be directing some of their fees into providing their own accommodation."

Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) data released this week revealed how the highest concentrations of Australia's newest migrants can be found around university campuses and the inner suburbs in Melbourne and Sydney.

Only Melbourne and Parramatta centres attracted more migrants in 2016-17 than the suburb of Clayton in south-east Melbourne, site of Monash University.

desktop-map-melb-migrants-data.jpg

Mayor of Monash Council, Paul Klisaris, said he didn't want international students to be made "scapegoats" for Australians' frustrations with congestion and the cost of living.

But he said there had been major impacts for his council area "as a result of this mass movement".

International students driving migration

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the rise in foreign students has been the biggest driving factor of immigration growth.

"There are around 200,000 more foreign students in Australia today than there were a few years ago," he said earlier this month.

"That is the single biggest driving factor (of immigration growth).

"So if you feel there are more foreigners on the tram and you can't get a seat on the tram, that is because of that, if that's your perception."

desktop-map-melb-migrants-data (1).jpg

The new ABS figures are the first to provide local migration breakdowns, providing an insight into how fast some neighbourhoods are changing.

Liz Allen, a demographer at the ANU Centre for Social Research & Methods, said infrastructure development had not kept pace with the migration program in the past 20 years, and the blame fell on politicians.

"I would be strongly urging people to be considered when they look at these figures," she said, "and not blame migrants, but rather hold politicians to account".

A spokesperson for Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack, who has responsibility for population issues, said the Federal Government was working with its state counterparts to address competing challenges prompted by population growth.

"Future population growth, busting congestion and investing in projects to ensure people can get to home, university and work and back again sooner and safer is a key focus of the Government," they said.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-27/international-students-infrastructure-migration-housing/9693256?section=politics

When did infrastructure ever keep up with development in Victoria?  We have clowns in the local councils ( Clown Halls as they used to say), clowns in the State Government obsessed with very minor cross roads and a Federal Government only interested in trying to keep in power up against an opposition that opposes every single new idea just because it can. Maybe we meed a Singapore-type dictatorship?  

9 minutes ago, Bulya said:

The accommodation building at ANU over the last 5 years has been staggering and continues.  They had to as the ACT had the lowest rental vacancy rate in the country 

Same at UNSW. They've built multiple, multi-storey apartment blocks. The first few blocks were so successful they built a whole lot more - clearly a money-spinner for the Uni. 

19 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

Same at UNSW. They've built multiple, multi-storey apartment blocks. The first few blocks were so successful they built a whole lot more - clearly a money-spinner for the Uni. 

I think the ANU realised that even though they are the countries top rated uni, prospective international students simply couldn’t afford to move here.  ANU  doesn’t look like a uni campus these days, more like an upper class council estate 

9 hours ago, Bulya said:

I think the ANU realised that even though they are the countries top rated uni, prospective international students simply couldn’t afford to move here.  ANU  doesn’t look like a uni campus these days, more like an upper class council estate 

Yeah, looking rather seedy isn’t it? You have to wonder at the value of an ANU degree too. Both my boys were very ticked off at the number of group assignment assessments which dragged a lot of people through. That was years ago now so I can’t imagine it’s got much better since. 

16 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Yeah, looking rather seedy isn’t it? You have to wonder at the value of an ANU degree too. Both my boys were very ticked off at the number of group assignment assessments which dragged a lot of people through. That was years ago now so I can’t imagine it’s got much better since. 

New boss. Changed everything 

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

New boss. Changed everything 

More personal responsibility and accountability or more PC inclusiveness? I hope the former! Still looks seedy though (as does much of Canberra now though unfortunately). 

5 hours ago, Quoll said:

My boys were also fed up of group assignments - there was always a couple who never pulled their weight but got by through the work of the others.  My younger son did a post grad thing and was also fed up once again with the same group assignment palaver.

Archived