Can I put my partner on a 189 visa

Hi looking for some advice please , I am a qualified nurse working as a district nurse in Scotland I have 14yrs experience and score 80 points , my question is can I put my 13 year old daughter on the visa too and my partner or would we need to be married or would he need his own visa ?

Thanks 

Thanks for your help , he is not however permission from her dad would not be a problem , my partner is a labourer so would not meet the points for a visa on his own I think I just wanted to double check he would defo be able to go on mine , also because I have a dependant would I need a certain amount of money in the bank ? 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Jennifer welsh said:

Thanks for your help , he is not however permission from her dad would not be a problem , my partner is a labourer so would not meet the points for a visa on his own I think I just wanted to double check he would defo be able to go on mine , also because I have a dependant would I need a certain amount of money in the bank ? 

Thanks 

I would be hoping to have a full time nursing job when I arrive therefore would have proof of income to support my dependant .

Just securing the visa for three people will cost more than £2k.  Costs can be found but you will pay for.

Skills assessment, registration, English tests. Visa application fees for three, police checks for 2, medical for 3.

plus flights, shipping, rental bond up front, temp accommodation whilst finding long term rental, car if required.  Oh and school fees, even public schools are not entirely free as in the UK.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer welsh said:

Really that much ? For the process or to get set up ?

If you go on the home affairs site - it has a cost calculator - if you were lodging your application this month (for example) - the cost for 2 adults and one child would be  3,985.00

Additionally you will have the medical fees, you will also need to pay ANMAC for the skills assessment and then to register with AHPRA.  Then there's the cost of the move - flights (only one lot if you validate and move at the same time), removal costs (if you bring furniture), initial short term rental costs.  Some people don't get fixed up right away or one of the couple might find it hard to find work - so people usually suggest having at least 6 months living expenses in case that happens.  You then have your basic start up costs of utilities, stuff for school etc.,

ETA - plus the things rammygirl mentioned and I missed off the list

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer welsh said:

Really that much ? For the process or to get set up ?

It's mainly getting there and getting set up.    It's worth doing a budget, and then you'll get a better idea how it stacks up.   

Obviously you'll have air fares for the three of you.   Then you'll need to book four weeks in an AirBnB or a holiday flat while you look for a place to rent - you can check out the likely costs on AirBnB or a site like stayz.com.au.   

When you find a place to rent, you'll need to pay one month's rent upfront plus one month's bond.  You can get an idea of rental costs on realestate.com.au or domain.com.au.

Rented flats/houses don't come furnished in Australia (not even whitegoods), so you'll either need to ship all your furniture, pots, pans, crockery, cutlery etc, or buy it all from scratch when you arrive, or a mixture of both.  You can check out furniture prices at sites like harveynorman.com.au.  If you are OK with second-hand stuff, then there's Gumtree.   There are charity shops too but they're not as good as the British ones for furniture IMO.

Then there's a car if you need one, and a whole lot of other little costs like stuff for school etc.  

Finally there's money to live on while you look for work.   A lot of people imagine they'll walk off the plane and into a job - twenty years ago, yes, but not today.  Unemployment is about the same as the UK.   As Ali says, it's not unusual for at least one of you to take several months to find a job, so you need money to live on while you have only one wage coming in.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

I will summarise for you. 

Only one of the family needs to qualify. The rest of the family go as that persons dependents. So, as long as you are degree trained you will qualify for all three of you. 

You will need formal permission from your child's father

Total cost of even visas for three is more than 2k. That would not even cover your visa cost. Let alone the rest of the family. In addition to the visa fee, you will need to pass a skills assessment - allow about £1k. Then, most people need to pass an English test for points. Then medicals, then both cost money as well. 

Then, assuming you will be in a position to move fairly quickly after grant, allow overall £30k. If you aren't ready to move fairly quickly, you will all need to make a visit to Oz to validate the visas. 

I would also add in that I had a job available on landing.  If I hadn't, I dare say we'd have been closer to 40 or 50k GBP out of our savings before we were really established.

Took a look through our figures, ran roughly like this:

Visa (inc meds, assessment English test) -> GBP 4500

Flights and hotel accommodation to activate visa -> GBP 3500

One way flights on moving -> GBP 1200

One month accommodation on arrival -> GBP 2000

Moving costs for items from UK -> GBP 800

New furniture (for a 2 bed apartment) -> GBP 7500 (including kitting out the kitchen)

Bond and month's rent for apartment -> GBP 4500

Myki passes -> GBP 2400 (annual passes for the wife and myself)

Insurance policies -> GBP 800

Food and entertainment for the first month til the paycheck came in (well, land in a new country, gotta enjoy yourself), came to roughly another GBP 1500

So, yeah.  It all adds up fast and furiously.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your advice , I have to aunts who live in Perth and are trying to guide me also , they would be happy to look for accommodation for us before we arrived and I would not make the move without knowing I had a job set up to go to , however I now understand there is a lot to consider than maybe I first expected , we currently live with my mum just now and have until the end of the year to decide whether to place our savings on a deposit for a house in Scotland or start applying for the move to oz , we are both 37 years old I have a degree in nursing and currently work as a district nurse , now feeling a bit scared to start the process incase we are making a mistake , guess that’s something we need to think about more.

3 minutes ago, Jennifer welsh said:

Thank you all for your advice , I have to aunts who live in Perth and are trying to guide me also , they would be happy to look for accommodation for us before we arrived and I would not make the move without knowing I had a job set up to go to , however I now understand there is a lot to consider than maybe I first expected , we currently live with my mum just now and have until the end of the year to decide whether to place our savings on a deposit for a house in Scotland or start applying for the move to oz , we are both 37 years old I have a degree in nursing and currently work as a district nurse , now feeling a bit scared to start the process incase we are making a mistake , guess that’s something we need to think about more.

It is a massive move to consider but one which can be worthwhile.  Research as much as you can with what's involved, be mindful that you may have to take a step back career wise in order to get your foot in the door and move forward - Lots to consider, but good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ali said:

It is a massive move to consider but one which can be worthwhile.  Research as much as you can with what's involved, be mindful that you may have to take a step back career wise in order to get your foot in the door and move forward - Lots to consider, but good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Jennifer welsh said:

The question is, what is the attraction is of moving to Australia?  

I'm Scottish and I grew up with tales of relatives and friends who went to Australia and made good.  The reality today is that you won't make your fortune in Australia.  You may not even be financially better off.   In fact you may be worse off, because instead of investing that £30k in a deposit on a house now, you'll have spent it on the move, so you'll be stuck renting for a few more years while you save up the deposit all over again.   I'd suggest you need to compare house prices in Scotland with house prices in Perth.  

The other thing to consider is how you will feel leaving your mother behind.  It's unlikely she will ever be able to move to join you (the fee for a parent visa is currently $60,000).  If you're spending all your savings on the move to Australia, and then you're saving hard for a mortgage, how often will you be able to afford the air fares to visit her?   Could she afford to visit you regularly?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jennifer welsh said:

It would be hard to have a permanent job lined up before you move. The days of huge demand for nurses has long gone. In fact, nurses can find it hard to find permanent work even once there. Though you would get bank nursing fairly easy. 

I would recommend you are pretty certain on the move before you start spending lots of money and be realistic in what you think Oz will offer. In essence you are moving from one first world country to another. 

• Like 1

Yeh there will no quick decisions made that’s for sure , everything I read is making it seem so out of reach , I like the idea of the challenge it brings and the experience it would give my family and I , otherwise I continue to work for the nhs until I retire and possibly regret not taking the chance we had , I understand no matter where I go in the world I will have to continue to work eat and sleep unless a lotto win comes in lol , it’s just a question of where I make that happen .

I would echo @VERYSTORMY in that nursing jobs are not as easy to get as they were, particularly in the community. Check out seek.com.au and see what comes up for the area you are looking at. Doubt you would get anything prior to arriving.

I understand you don’t want to live with “what if” but I would imagine you don’t want to go bankrupt either. 

Do a bit more research and mull it over. 

8 hours ago, Jennifer welsh said:

Yeh there will no quick decisions made that’s for sure , everything I read is making it seem so out of reach , I like the idea of the challenge it brings and the experience it would give my family

Why would it be a challenge?   You're moving from the UK to another civilised country.  The challenge will be finding the money for the move and settling in.  Once you're settled, it's just living life.  It'll be a different life in some ways, because Australians have different attitudes and habits - but read a few threads on these forums, and you'll find there's huge debate on whether it's a better life or a worse life than the UK.   Some people love it, some people hate it.  No matter how much research you do, you won't know for sure until you move.

And that's what worries me.  If you had a comfortable buffer of money, I'd be saying, come and give it a try.   A well-off family could afford to throw £30,000 at an adventure - after all, if they don't like it, they can always come back.  But if you spend your savings on the move and aren't happy, you'll be trapped in Australia until you can save up the money to return - and when you get home, you'll be broke, and back where you started.

I think we all get a feeling of "Is that all there is?" at some point in our lives.  I wonder if that's where you are - realising that once you've bought that house in Scotland, you'll be stuck working for the NHS for the rest of your life?  Australia is the obvious escape route because it's part of our heritage - I'm a Scot and I've got aunties in Australia too!   

• Like 1

You are spot on ... The challenge would be getting there financially , I’m attracted to the weather , it would be jnteresting to see how health works over there too , my job puts me at an advantage in that I can travel and most likely earn a living doing what I love , that’s what makes me want to give it a go , however having a 13yr old daughter means I can’t be selfish and need to make sure it’s the right move for her also .

• Like 1