Tara

Shipping car that’s less than 12 months old

We are due to move to Melbourne in around 3 months time. Whilst the move is planned, we didn’t anticipate such a quick timeline. We have just got a new car on finance in the uk, and given we will be stung financially if we hand it back, would like to take it with us.  However, we’ve seem that you need to have owned the car for 12 months, and at the point of moving we will have owned it for only 6. Is there any way around this? I have relatives I’m guessing could import it but that would be quite complicated as I’d need to sell it to them?  Any ideas? 

No. You need to prove ownership and that you had access to the car for 12 months to qualify as a personal import. It may be possible to import in another way but would be even more expensive I think. 

It isn’t cheap anyway it isn’t just the shipping to pay there are taxes and other fees and services to pay. 

if the car is on finance can you even export it?  You don’t actually own it and I think we were asked to prove there was no finance owing before importing ours. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

You will either be taking a car out of the country that doesn't belong to you, or taking a car out of the country which is the security for a UK loan , both of which are no doubt prohibited by the agreements you signed.  I suggest you have a good look through the fine print.

It might be cheaper to keep the car until you have had it over 12 months before you hand it back, I had that once with a company lease car.

PR (100) Plans on hold but moving to Perth eventually!

5 hours ago, rammygirl said:

No. You need to prove ownership and that you had access to the car for 12 months to qualify as a personal import. It may be possible to import in another way but would be even more expensive I think. 

It isn’t cheap anyway it isn’t just the shipping to pay there are taxes and other fees and services to pay. 

if the car is on finance can you even export it?  You don’t actually own it and I think we were asked to prove there was no finance owing before importing ours. 

Thanks. The plan would be to pay out the finance so effectively buy the car and take the hit on the taxes. Do you know why the 12 month window is in place? Is it to stop people selling on for profit?

Yep, to stop people buying to specificaly sell on when they get to Aus.

I don't know much about cars .. but do consider the make and servicing/getting parts if you need them.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

With the 12 month rule in place, you will probably have to take a hit on it and hand it back. 

And yes, its to stop people importing them to simply sell on. Its a long standing rule and not one I am aware of people getting round.