Cost of childcare in Redlands Qld

Danno

If you can't find them listed, contact the childcare centre direct and enquire as to their fee set up. They should have an email address you can use., least I'd hope they would. 

Will you be coming over as permanent or temp residents? If pr, you can claim child care subsidy through government which depends on how many hours you work, how many days your child accesses childcare and how much you earn (total family income) 

Its a new scheme starting in July, we expect to be better off in the new system. Our daughter just turned 4 so will be in childcare until she starts school next year. It appears to favour those who work but I know of a lot of stay at home mums who will be hard hit by this. 

As temp residents it’ll be expensive to pay it all. 

8 hours ago, Danno said:

I have an Australian passport but my wife will be on the temp resident visa. Wow just had a look at the scheme looks amazing. if I am reading it correctly we could get 50 hours free per week?

Blimey, government bankruptcy ahead if that’s the case!

Edited by Quoll

Just checked the new scheme - nowhere does it say 50 free hours PW. If you are a very low income earner you might get an 85% subsidy but as soon as your family income goes over $69k it begins to reduce down (and if both of you are on average incomes it would go down to 50% pretty quickly) and both of you would have to be working full time (if your oh wants to stay home with the kids and work part time then their working hours impacts the level of subsidy) and there’s a cap on the hourly rates they will subsidise too. It’s a very convoluted calculation by the look of it, but 50 free hours PW, nope.

I’ve only just provided my details to Centrelink so I don’t actually know how much we will be out of pocket by, but Quoll is right you won’t get 50 hours free per week! 

We currently get just under 50% via the child care rebate but that’s standard for anyone who works, has kids in approved care and earns below threshold which is some really high amount. 

Everyone pretty much gets the same ccr and if you are on low income the child care benefit is a possibility too. CCB depends on income etc on a sliding scale. Both these systems will be wiped by the new system in July so a lot of talk from mums. There are a few calculators online, this one seems pretty good but like I say I have no idea if it’s accurate. 

https://www.goodstart.org.au/subsidy-estimator/other

I’m also not sure if you can include your wife and her earnings in the details as a temp resident- but I’d imagine so as then it’d look like you are the sole earner, lower annual income etc - greater subsidy. Just found this: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/what-are-residency-rules-child-care-subsidy