Family friendly affordable near Brighton

Tara

Hi,

we are moving to Melbourne in September for my husbands work, and will be moving with our two young children (2 & 3). We want to be close to Brighton as that’s where work is but think it will be unaffordable. We also need the area to have amenities for the kids and I so we get to keep busy. Our daughter turns 4 this summer and would have been due to start school in September so somewhere there are good kindergartens/day care would be perfect. Does anyone have any suggestions? We will also be bringing the dog so some parks would be handy. Thanks in advance 

Caulfield and Ormond are both pretty family friendly.  I live just beside Princes Park in Caulfield, and you'll often find kids out there.  There's a bit of a play area for the young ones, in super condition, and decent sports facilities nearby.  No idea what the schools are like, personally; a few colleagues who live in the area seem very happy sending their kids.

We're about a 40 minute walk from the shops and restaurants in Brighton, but if you hop in the car, you can be at the beach inside ten minutes.

It's not right beside the seaside, but it's definitely much more affordable here :)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Bentleigh and Bentleigh East are ok. I work with a few people who live in Bentleigh East and wouldn’t live anywhere else. Too expensive for me. What sort of budget do you have?

I think around $700 pw and I would love 4 beds. Our daughter will probably go the kindergarten and then school in the area so it’s quite important we get it right. Feels like so much of south eastern suburbs are unaffordable 

2 hours ago, Tara said:

I think around $700 pw and I would love 4 beds. Our daughter will probably go the kindergarten and then school in the area so it’s quite important we get it right. Feels like so much of south eastern suburbs are unaffordable 

I have done a quick search on realestate.com.au and there a small number of 4+ beds for $700 or less, so not out of the question. Be warned though they love a bit of photo shopping in Aus and the property will likely be very different to the photos!

Buying a 4 bedder in that area is going to be well over the million though, if you want to settle there.

The area itself though is well positioned for travel into the city if you find somewhere close to a station, beach not too far, shops and cafes etc.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Tara said:

Yes, you're right, your budget is probably too small for most of the south eastern suburbs.  You'll find houses for that price but don't expect too much.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
On 29/04/2018 at 07:35, Marisawright said:

Yes, you're right, your budget is probably too small for most of the south eastern suburbs.  You'll find houses for that price but don't expect too much.

You are joking aren’t you? $700 per week will find you some gorgeous rentals in SE Melbourne in some excellent family suburbs. Here are some examples, some are further down the coast but SE Melbourne is a huge area to write off as unaffordable with a budget rent of $700pw.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-officer-423582142

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-keysborough-423685530

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-botanic+ridge-419224770

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-highett-423642454

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-mordialloc-420904874

I could paste away for hours.

To the OP sorry I didn’t reply earlier.

Bentleigh East is very popular and a good area the issue you have is that the same thing will happen to you as it did to us. We ended up moving to Beaumaris when we first arrived but could not afford to buy there. We couldn’t afford to start our children in a school and then move them again so we looked at places where we would be able to purchase without the huge upheaval. 

Remember Melbourne is huge. South East Melbourne on its own is around 3,000 sq kilometres and will have a population of close to 2 million I bet by now. 

‘The further out you get the more value for money and believe me Melbourne is expanding all the time. At one point Springvale was the most people would commute from, now people are building South of Pakenham.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 29/04/2018 at 04:28, Tara said:

Take a look further down the Coast, for example you could keep on the train line and travel from the end of the line Frankston to Brighton in around an hour. The same if you headed inland to Berwick again an hour on the train. There are some lovely suburbs around there. 

‘To be honest this is expensive for Berwick but look at the size compared to closer to the city https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-berwick-423612310

This is another on the expensive side at $495 a week https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-berwick-423416838 Berwick has excellent schools and childcare, it’s 5 minutes to the largest Shopping Centre (Fountain Gate) has one of the best government secondary schools, hospitals, Tafe, etc. 

‘If you want to be closer to the city and still on the coast maybe look at Mentone or Mordialloc. 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 29/04/2018 at 04:28, Tara said:

Also @Tara a lot of the properties in and around Bayside are the older properties so you may need to reduce bedroom size to 2/3 bedrooms. 

11 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

You are joking aren’t you? $700 per week will find you some gorgeous rentals in SE Melbourne in some excellent family suburbs. Here are some examples, some are further down the coast but SE Melbourne is a huge area

The OP specifically said "near Brighton".  SE Melbourne is a huge area but if you go to the outer limits, it's a long way from Brighton.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 29/04/2018 at 07:35, Marisawright said:

17 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The OP specifically said "near Brighton".  SE Melbourne is a huge area but if you go to the outer limits, it's a long way from Brighton.

But your comment didn’t say that, this is why I questioned it. Maybe you should have said “Bayside” then I would have agreed that a 4 bed in Bayside would be difficult but not impossible 

A simple Rent search for Brighton and surrounding suburbs  on realestate.com.au shows heaps of rentals from $400 and up

Your kids are small and could share a bedroom so I would not pay heaps just to get 4 bedrooms when you don't need them in a rental.

Edited by Parley