Should we, shouldn't we...

Sharpeys

I have annual travel insurance which covers me for 90 days so I can spend 12 weeks (3 months) in Oz at a time and I’m over 65! 

Yes there’s usually  a condition about leaving the house empty for that length of time. Some insurers will cover you for that length of time but it’s more common to be only allowed 60 days. 

However a chat with my insurer reveals that before the 60 days is over if family member stays over in your property even if just for one night it starts the whole 60 days scenario all over again! Time to shake out the rellies for an overnight stay!  

3 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I have annual travel insurance which covers me for 90 days so I can spend 12 weeks (3 months) in Oz at a time and I’m over 65! 

Yes there’s usually  a condition about leaving the house empty for that length of time. Some insurers will cover you for that length of time but it’s more common to be only allowed 60 days. 

However a chat with my insurer reveals that before the 60 days is over if family member stays over in your property even if just for one night it starts the whole 60 days scenario all over again! Time to shake out the rellies for an overnight stay!  

I’d be really interested to know who you get your annual insurance with. Whilst we didn’t struggle to find a single trip insurance for 5 weeks, I think an annual might be better for us.

12 hours ago, Sharpeys said:

Being a retired Bobby, our travel insurance is ok till we get to 70. Then we have to start looking for another provider. I think its the same with property insurance too, is the premises going to be empty for over thirty days seems to ring a bell..?? Thanks for your response.

Actually we had no problem with the house being left empty for two months - the insurance company (Lloyds bank) were okay with it as long as we let them know and arranged for someone to check inside and out once a week.

Hi all, well, after a lot of deliberation, a chat with the agent, we are going to go for the 143 contributory parent visa. Form filling as I write, so the journey begins. Family in Oz are thrilled. Thank you all for your advice , it is much appreciated.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sharpeys said:

Hi all, well, after a lot of deliberation, a chat with the agent, we are going to go for the 143 contributory parent visa. Form filling as I write, so the journey begins. Family in Oz are thrilled. Thank you all for your advice , it is much appreciated.

Just in case you don't know, I suggest you get your application in asap. Immigration has a habit of changing visa requirements with no notice at all. The normal changes are often 1st July, but sometimes they catch people out by changing earlier, there is chatter that perhaps there will be changes to many visas including the parent visa. I am only a poster but if it was me I would get the application in as soon as possible to be on the safe side. If nothing changes you won't have lost anything.

Good luck

Edited by ramot

11 hours ago, Sharpeys said:

I second Ramot's advice - get it in ASAP.   Good luck with it - the forms are a pain but mostly it's stuff you know, or can easily check. Best advice? Once you've got theforms in, try (daft as it sounds) to forget about it for a bit or you'll drive yourselves crazy.   Also, now is thetime to visit all those places in your home country that you have meant to visit and never got round to. Have fun with old friends, etc etc. 

• Like 2

On 29 April 2018 at 07:19, LindaH27 said:

Who is your insurer????  I have friends who would love to know :-)

House contents insurance varies as I shop about every year. If you’re only covered for 60 days ask your insurer if that period starts again after a re occupation by a  family member - has to be family member I think. Buildings insurance covered communally by service charges as I live in a privately owned apartment having downsized from a house.. Many other residents go away for extended periods too. A friend checks regularly for post and any issues whilst I’m away.