Should we, shouldn't we...

Sharpeys

7 hours ago, Sharpeys said:

There's two things there that concern me....the three years or more ? before making a decision, and losing that amount of money....we are talking to an agent on Monday with a lot of questions, so we'll see how that and out...thanks for responding guys.Appreciated.

If losing a few thousand pounds is a concern to you, then I  think it's important to sit down and work out how much the move will cost.

I'm sure you're already aware of the cost of the visa (is it around $60,000 now?), and the air fares.  But there are other costs too.   

If you're a typical 60-something couple, you probably have a houseful of furniture, pots, pans, crockery, linen which will last you several more years.  Some of it may even "see you out"!  You'll either have to pack it all up and ship it over, or give it away and start afresh in Australia (or a mixture of those).  Either way, it's several thousand dollars (if you haven't furnished a house in a while, you might be shocked how many thousand!). You'll also need to sell and replace your car, of course. 

Then there's housing.  I don't know where you're moving to, but have you checked what kind of home you could afford if you move?   Don't forget to allow for stamp duty and purchase costs.  

Then there's the fact that your British government pension will be "frozen" on the day you leave. You'll continue to receive it, but you will never receive any increases, so over time it will lose value. If you have a private pension fund, you will be at the mercy of exchange rates, unless you transfer it to an Australian fund (which has to be done very carefully to avoid losing a lot of money in tax, I believe, so get expert advice!). 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I completely agree with the above comment. As an expat before retiring we have probably known more people than most who have faced the dilemma of where to move to on retirement. Most like us did what they wanted to rather than move close to family.

All our three were in UK then, so we could have gone back to our old village, and of course all our three were living in different places and least 2/3 hours away, and not close to each other. So it could have made sense to move near the married one? Moving to an area we didn't know, settling there, to be possibly faced with our son then moving for a new job, and us saying "but we moved here for you!!!"

So we did what we wanted to do and moved to Australia, originally for a few years for an adventure.

I think parents must consider that if they do move here that their children might move so they have another decision to make. I doubt many consider that.

Very important consideration.  My FIL considered moving to be near us in the UK, glad he didn’t as we are now in Australia and that would have been a very difficult decision to make if he had moved to be with us.  No way he could get a parent visa as doesn’t meet balance of family test and never will.

we moved here with one son and the other is now in Australia, albeit in another state.  We moved for us as we knew they could easily move from the UK when able and then we would be too old to follow our dream to Oz.  They might move on, we might return to the UK, who knows?  They have their own lives to lead and although we will hopefully always be part of their lives we still have our own to lead.

I am still very close to my sister and her kids and grandkids who are all in the UK.  I miss her but we chat on line and have managed to see each other every year by meeting up somewhere in the world.

We meet with old friends from the UK for a holiday every year in Asia too.  The world is smaller than it used to be and we are still fit enough to enjoy it.

The price of a parent visa these days is so expensive I don’t know how people do it and still maintain  their lifestyle.  That money would buy a lot of flights.

• Like 4

On 26/04/2018 at 07:51, VERYSTORMY said:

It is a tough one and I have met parents who have made the move and are very happy, but also some who very much regretted it and now felt trapped and disappointed as the kids and grandkids they made the move for aren't that interested in spending the time with them they expected. 

The current wait times for a CPV are three to four years. 

If you do decide to pursue it further, I would take independent financial advice as well as not only is the visa expensive at over $120k for two of you, but there are other implications on things such as pensions. 

Thats a very relevant comment. Thanks for that, more food for thought...!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Very important consideration.  My FIL considered moving to be near us in the UK, glad he didn’t as we are now in Australia and that would have been a very difficult decision to make if he had moved to be with us.  No way he could get a parent visa as doesn’t meet balance of family test and never will.

we moved here with one son and the other is now in Australia, albeit in another state.  We moved for us as we knew they could easily move from the UK when able and then we would be too old to follow our dream to Oz.  They might move on, we might return to the UK, who knows?  They have their own lives to lead and although we will hopefully always be part of their lives we still have our own to lead.

I am still very close to my sister and her kids and grandkids who are all in the UK.  I miss her but we chat on line and have managed to see each other every year by meeting up somewhere in the world.

We meet with old friends from the UK for a holiday every year in Asia too.  The world is smaller than it used to be and we are still fit enough to enjoy it.

The price of a parent visa these days is so expensive I don’t know how people do it and still maintain  their lifestyle.  That money would buy a lot of flights.

Both your remarks are very relevant, thanks for taking the time to reply. Our grand daughter now is nearly 20 and courting, her brother is 17, nearly finished school and we feel has the wander lust to travel the world, leaving little brother, (and he's coming up 15..) at home. Would daughter and hubby downsize? Leave the area? Who knows, can't forecast the future can we....we do chat on Face Time quite often, and as you say, the cost would buy a lot of flights and we can stay in our very comfortable zone...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ramot said:

I completely agree with the above comment. As an expat before retiring we have probably known more people than most who have faced the dilemma of where to move to on retirement. Most like us did what they wanted to rather than move close to family.

All our three were in UK then, so we could have gone back to our old village, and of course all our three were living in different places and least 2/3 hours away, and not close to each other. So it could have made sense to move near the married one? Moving to an area we didn't know, settling there, to be possibly faced with our son then moving for a new job, and us saying "but we moved here for you!!!"

So we did what we wanted to do and moved to Australia, originally for a few years for an adventure.

I think parents must consider that if they do move here that their children might move so they have another decision to make. I doubt many consider that.

Thanks Ramot, I think thats a very relevant point. At our time of life we have to do what WE want to do. We have a very easy comfortable life here, with good financial back up. Do we want to do the move and use all our finances until we sell the house...??? Hmmmm.....your comments are appreciated.

• Like 3

We moved here eight months ago to be closer to our daughter, who is our only child. She has a three year old and an eight month old baby who arrived the week after we did. Ive read the above discussion with great interest and think most of the posters offered very sensible advice.

I believe the most important consideration is the cost. As has been pointed out, the visa is only the beginning, and it seems to me that a decent amount of cash in savings - while not being crucial for everyone - certainly helps to oil the wheels when you get here. Our daughter lives in Sydney and we chose to live two hours away (by train). This was motivated partly by the cost of housing, which is marginally cheaper here in Kiama, but also because we were trying to find a similar environment to the one we were leaving - seaside town, hilly countryside, popular with retirees (ie potential friends). We also knew from the start that we did not want to live in our daughter's pocket. While a two hour train car journey would be out of the question for a day trip for us, two hours on a train is fine. Read, swig coffee, snooze ... We go over once a week and can stop off in Sydney for an early dinner before catching a late train home.

We were expats for twenty four years when we were still working, and have done the whole business of starting again more than once, so we knew what we were in for. We knew we would feel homesick, miss friends, have upsets, etc etc. It helps to have felt that way before and know that it is a passing thing. We also knew that nobody would come banging on our door wanting to be our friends and have joined everything going till we see what we enjoy. We have just bought our first house - twice the price and half the size of our house in Wales, but in an area we like. 

But ... And its a big but ... The jury is still out. We know we are going to stay for a few years - but neither of us is convinced (yet?) that we want to end our days here. We have maintained a good contact with all the people in the UK who matter to us, but we miss them. Which brings me back to money. I am happy to stay for a few years and see how it goes because I know I dont have to. We are by no means wealthy people, but there is enough in the kitty to take us back to the UK if we should decide to return in a few years. Had we spent every last penny getting here, I'm not too sure how I would be feeling right now.  

In the end, as others have said, everyone has to make their own decision because there is no right answer. I am still delighting in the knowledge that we can see our daughter whenever we want, spend the day with her and the kids whenever we want, and help her out when she goes back to work. Our granddaughter knows us! When we arrive for the day, she jiggles about in her mums arms and does funny little chortley noises - we never had that with our grandson. Its delightful - and for the moment, I'm more than happy to stay and see what the future holds when the time comes.

• Like 8

On 4/25/2018 at 19:39, Sharpeys said:

Hi everyone. Not a new topic by any means, but would appreciate any views you may have...My wife and I are thinking about a move to Oz using CV143. We pass the eligibility test etc, our daughter is a citizen near Perth, having been out there nearly 10 years. We've weighed up the costs as best we can, and were thinking it would take around 2.5.to 3 years. However, with all the talk these days of immigration cuts, costs rising, and the Oz 2018 budget looming, are the times going to increase drastically? I've seen mention of 6 to 10 years waiting times, and the AOS going up next April anyway. We are both in our late 60's, fairly healthy, I've a new hip that is 11 years old, and my wife is on medication for a treatable condition, but physically fit. 

We know it is a risk, but wondered what you good people might think.

Thanks in advance

The 143 visa process is horrible and is lightly to take considerably longer than 3 years. In our experience (25 months queuing so far) it will cause you to question your move many times over.

We are going with a positive mindset, but plan on leaving some bridges un-burnt, so we can return to the UK should things not work out. As Fisher1 says it's really down to funds and I would not like to be without some reserve, just in case. 

On a practical note, I think you will qualify for an 864 visa, which has shorter processing times. Or you could also consider the new temporary parent visa (due to be available soon) to give it a try before fully committing to a full visa.    

• Like 2

On 26 April 2018 at 16:04, Marisawright said:

Very true.  And there's no guarantee the family would make the effort to visit them, even if they paid.  

I'm not saying parents shouldn't make the move.  I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin, which is something I never see mentioned here.

Actually I've seen the downside mentioned a few times over the years. I dont think anyone could be under any illusions about the process once theyve been on this site a few times - but its always helpful to push both sides of the story.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

The 143 visa process is horrible and is lightly to take considerably longer than 3 years. In our experience (25 months queuing so far) it will cause you to question your move many times over.

We are going with a positive mindset, but plan on leaving some bridges un-burnt, so we can return to the UK should things not work out. As Fisher1 says it's really down to funds and I would not like to be without some reserve, just in case. 

On a practical note, I think you will qualify for an 864 visa, which has shorter processing times. Or you could also consider the new temporary parent visa (due to be available soon) to give it a try before fully committing to a full visa.    

Thanks for this Susieroo, I think if we did go ahead our bridges wouldn't quite be burnt, but to return would be coming back to a set up nowhere near as nice as we have now..?? I looked at the 864 visa, I may be wrong, but I think it said none were available due to lack of applications. But I've read so many things in the last few days that my head is spinning...!! Thanks again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

We moved here eight months ago to be closer to our daughter, who is our only child. She has a three year old and an eight month old baby who arrived the week after we did. Ive read the above discussion with great interest and think most of the posters offered very sensible advice.

I believe the most important consideration is the cost. As has been pointed out, the visa is only the beginning, and it seems to me that a decent amount of cash in savings - while not being crucial for everyone - certainly helps to oil the wheels when you get here. Our daughter lives in Sydney and we chose to live two hours away (by train). This was motivated partly by the cost of housing, which is marginally cheaper here in Kiama, but also because we were trying to find a similar environment to the one we were leaving - seaside town, hilly countryside, popular with retirees (ie potential friends). We also knew from the start that we did not want to live in our daughter's pocket. While a two hour train car journey would be out of the question for a day trip for us, two hours on a train is fine. Read, swig coffee, snooze ... We go over once a week and can stop off in Sydney for an early dinner before catching a late train home.

We were expats for twenty four years when we were still working, and have done the whole business of starting again more than once, so we knew what we were in for. We knew we would feel homesick, miss friends, have upsets, etc etc. It helps to have felt that way before and know that it is a passing thing. We also knew that nobody would come banging on our door wanting to be our friends and have joined everything going till we see what we enjoy. We have just bought our first house - twice the price and half the size of our house in Wales, but in an area we like. 

But ... And its a big but ... The jury is still out. We know we are going to stay for a few years - but neither of us is convinced (yet?) that we want to end our days here. We have maintained a good contact with all the people in the UK who matter to us, but we miss them. Which brings me back to money. I am happy to stay for a few years and see how it goes because I know I dont have to. We are by no means wealthy people, but there is enough in the kitty to take us back to the UK if we should decide to return in a few years. Had we spent every last penny getting here, I'm not too sure how I would be feeling right now.  

In the end, as others have said, everyone has to make their own decision because there is no right answer. I am still delighting in the knowledge that we can see our daughter whenever we want, spend the day with her and the kids whenever we want, and help her out when she goes back to work. Our granddaughter knows us! When we arrive for the day, she jiggles about in her mums arms and does funny little chortley noises - we never had that with our grandson. Its delightful - and for the moment, I'm more than happy to stay and see what the future holds when the time comes.

What a wonderful post and insight into the pros and cons of making the move 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sharpeys said:

Thanks for this Susieroo, I think if we did go ahead our bridges wouldn't quite be burnt, but to return would be coming back to a set up nowhere near as nice as we have now..?? I looked at the 864 visa, I may be wrong, but I think it said none were available due to lack of applications. But I've read so many things in the last few days that my head is spinning...!! Thanks again.

I don't think it is the 864 visa that's not available but they can't give details of  processing times due to the lack of applications. 

• Like 2

On 26 April 2018 at 11:16, Marisawright said:

All I can offer is a cautionary tale.  I know a woman, Carol,  who came out to Australia on the parent visa.    I first met her when they were waiting for the visa, but visiting often - every time she was in Australia, she'd come along to the same dance class as me.   The last time I saw her, she said to me, "I never thought I'd say it, but there's more to life than grandchildren".  

Carol was the one who was always desperate to move to Australia, to be close to her daughter and the grandkids.  Her husband was more cautious about it, because they had such a good life in the UK, but he went along with it.  Now she's discovering it's not what she expected.   They used to visit once a year for two or three months, they stayed with the daughter, did the school run, babysat the kids, had weekend outings etc.   That was what she dreamed of.

Now the reality.  Unfortunately, because the visa cost so much, they couldn't afford to buy a home close to the daughter.  They have a small flat in another suburb, too far away to do the school run.  They do babysit occasionally, but the kids are older now, so they have sport on the weekends and other activities with their friends.  Bottom line is that she sees less of the grandkids now than when they used to do their annual trip!

She's now sorry she gave up her beautiful home (and gave away or sold so many nice things to save on shipping). She misses all her friends.  She realises now that she expected her daughter's family to fill the gap left by friends -- and that was never realistic, they are a young family with their own lives to lead. She's having to rebuild her whole life, make new friends, change her lifestyle...  

The silly thing is that the money they spent on the visa would have paid for an annual visit (either for them to Oz or the family to the UK) for the rest of their lives, so she wishes she had settled for that.

Very thoughtful post but one small point - once you are over sixty five it is almost impossible to get travel insurance for longer than thirty days on a single trip. Yes, you can get travel insurance easily until you are in your eighties ... But only for thirty days. Thst was one of the deciding factors for us because if we were only seeing our daughter every once a year or so we wanted to be able to stay for much longer than that. It is possible to get private health insurance for longer trips I know, wnd there is some medicare coverage but life is much trickier without travel insurance. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

The 864 visa is an onshore visa, you have to be in living in Australia to apply. Some people have come on a visitors visa I think and then applied? You would have to check to see if you can do this?

The waiting time for this visa is supposed to be quicker, but at the moment the queue has only moved about 6 weeks from Sept. 2016 to Oct. 2016 and there is talk it will also take perhaps 3 years to process.

I don't give migration advice as I am only a poster on the 864 visa and only mention things that I have experienced as I have lived in Australia for 15 years on a retirement visa and seen how your circumstances can change over the years, due to the increases to the cost of living here.

Please always check with an MA any facts you are unsure of.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Actually I've seen the downside mentioned a few times over the years. I dont think anyone could be under any illusions about the process once theyve been on this site a few times - but its always helpful to push both sides of the story.

I'm sure someone who's been on the site a long time will know.  However, when I see the downsides being discussed, it's usually the cost and the waiting time that are discussed.  We rarely get a post from a parent who's made the move and regretted it.  

Your post about your experiences should be made a sticky, IMO!   As you say, you're seasoned expat nomads so you know how to make the best of it, AND you have enough in reserve that you're able to go back.  I fear that many of the parents desperately seeking to migrate, haven't thought that far ahead.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Very thoughtful post but one small point - once you are over sixty five it is almost impossible to get travel insurance for longer than thirty days on a single trip. 

What a nuisance, I wasn't aware of that limitation in the UK.  In Australia, there's no such restriction as far as I'm aware.  

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What a nuisance, I wasn't aware of that limitation in the UK.  In Australia, there's no such restriction as far as I'm aware.  

Can't say for sure but we have annual travel insurance from Oz and am fairly sure we are restricted to either 90 days or 3 months each trip, not sure which without checking. That's why we go to UK for 3 months most years.

There might be a way to get longer? but 3 months is enough for us.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It may have changed but I dont think so. I was particularly aware of it because last visit we had rented the house next door to our daughter at mates rates for two months and then stumbled over travel insurance because my OH was turning 66 while we were there. luckily the insurance company counted your age when you booked the insurance as your age throughout the life of the policy so we were okay. 

Great to know it isnt the same here, because now we'll be wanting to take long holidays in all the places we couldn't visit because we kept having to come to Australia xDxD

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm sure someone who's been on the site a long time will know.  However, when I see the downsides being discussed, it's usually the cost and the waiting time that are discussed.  We rarely get a post from a parent who's made the move and regretted it.  

Your post about your experiences should be made a sticky, IMO!   As you say, you're seasoned expat nomads so you know how to make the best of it, AND you have enough in reserve that you're able to go back.  I fear that many of the parents desperately seeking to migrate, haven't thought that far ahead.

You do have a point, on the main parent visa thread, there is very little talk of the downside to emigrating. But there is a lot on other threads, and I think it was here where I read about someone who decided to move back to the uk because she could not buy her favorite cordial drink. Which sounds crazy, but i suspect this was just the last straw or a smokescreen for something much deeper. 

We have moved a number of time around the uk, and personally I never felt homesick, but my husband, who lived in Australia in the 80's, tells how he felt waves of homesickness at unexpected times, even while he was happy and fulfilled in the normal sense. He explains it was a bit like bereavement and something that you can't really control, but if you expect it to happen, you will get through it without problem. Mind you, he told me the same thing about seasickness the first time he took me sailing, and I nearly died.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

You do have a point, on the main parent visa thread, there is very little talk of the downside to emigrating. But there is a lot on other threads

That's true, but I think many parents would see themselves as a different case from other migrants, and therefore they're less likely to read the skilled migrants threads.

33 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

You do have a point, on the main parent visa thread, there is very little talk of the downside to emigrating. But there is a lot on other threads, and I think it was here where I read about someone who decided to move back to the uk because she could not buy her favorite cordial drink. Which sounds crazy, but i suspect this was just the last straw or a smokescreen for something much deeper. 

We have moved a number of time around the uk, and personally I never felt homesick, but my husband, who lived in Australia in the 80's, tells how he felt waves of homesickness at unexpected times, even while he was happy and fulfilled in the normal sense. He explains it was a bit like bereavement and something that you can't really control, but if you expect it to happen, you will get through it without problem. Mind you, he told me the same thing about seasickness the first time he took me sailing, and I nearly died.

I think homesickness is strange, it isn't really about distance. The worst homesickness I suffered was when my parents moved the family from Liverpool to Chester...Chester! It's about sixty miles! But your husband is absolutely right Susieroo, it is like a bereavement. I was twelve and had only ever lived in a terrace in Liverpool with masses of other kids. We moved to a posh village outside Chester. There was nobody to play with and I absolutely hated the village, Chester and my new school. I can remember feeling quite overcome at the oddest times - even in the middle of lessons at school. I don't think it does affect everyone because my husband never seems unduly worried by moving whereas I always feel a bit strange, even when its a long awaited move like this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

I think homesickness is strange, it isn't really about distance. The worst homesickness I suffered was when my parents moved the family from Liverpool to Chester...Chester! It's about sixty miles! But your husband is absolutely right Susieroo, it is like a bereavement. I was twelve and had only ever lived in a terrace in Liverpool with masses of other kids. We moved to a posh village outside Chester. There was nobody to play with and I absolutely hated the village, Chester and my new school. I can remember feeling quite overcome at the oddest times - even in the middle of lessons at school. I don't think it does affect everyone because my husband never seems unduly worried by moving whereas I always feel a bit strange, even when its a long awaited move like this one.

Yes, I think it’s familiarity of people, places and objects that gives us comfort, yet at the same time, curiosity of the unknown, pulls us out of our comfort zones. I guess you can’t have one without the other.

Whichever area we move to, is such an important decision for us and I know it will affect how well we settle. Our family now live in Melbourne but when visiting it just isn’t entirely right for us (or on our budget) however it would be so good to be near them. Then we have the pull of Queensland and each time we return to the Sunshine Coast, it already feels a little like home.

You have made good points about locating to a place where other similar aged people have also moved. We plan on trying to get involved in the local community where possible and especially get to meet real Australians. We absolutely don’t want a ‘Little Britain’ lifestyle, although having some new expats friends nearby would be valuable.

I think the protracted wait for our parent visas also gives us chance to mentally adjust long before the physical move happens. I’m starting to get an idea of the life we might have, with all of the ups and downs. I do love sunny weather (yes I know it rains too) and being able to walk my dogs every morning on the beach is a very attractive proposition.

• Like 2

On 27/04/2018 at 02:46, Marisawright said:

If losing a few thousand pounds is a concern to you, then I  think it's important to sit down and work out how much the move will cost.

I'm sure you're already aware of the cost of the visa (is it around $60,000 now?), and the air fares.  But there are other costs too.   

If you're a typical 60-something couple, you probably have a houseful of furniture, pots, pans, crockery, linen which will last you several more years.  Some of it may even "see you out"!  You'll either have to pack it all up and ship it over, or give it away and start afresh in Australia (or a mixture of those).  Either way, it's several thousand dollars (if you haven't furnished a house in a while, you might be shocked how many thousand!). You'll also need to sell and replace your car, of course. 

Then there's housing.  I don't know where you're moving to, but have you checked what kind of home you could afford if you move?   Don't forget to allow for stamp duty and purchase costs.  

Then there's the fact that your British government pension will be "frozen" on the day you leave. You'll continue to receive it, but you will never receive any increases, so over time it will lose value. If you have a private pension fund, you will be at the mercy of exchange rates, unless you transfer it to an Australian fund (which has to be done very carefully to avoid losing a lot of money in tax, I believe, so get expert advice!). 

Hi Marisa, yes, I think we've looked at most of the points above, the cost is around the figure given, maybe set to rise in the 2018 budget next week. The assurance cost is rising next April, so thats another $5-6000....plus I read in the paper today that the housing market in WA is not in a good state, so all these things make us wonder even more.

19 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Very thoughtful post but one small point - once you are over sixty five it is almost impossible to get travel insurance for longer than thirty days on a single trip. Yes, you can get travel insurance easily until you are in your eighties ... But only for thirty days. Thst was one of the deciding factors for us because if we were only seeing our daughter every once a year or so we wanted to be able to stay for much longer than that. It is possible to get private health insurance for longer trips I know, wnd there is some medicare coverage but life is much trickier without travel insurance. 

Being a retired Bobby, our travel insurance is ok till we get to 70. Then we have to start looking for another provider. I think its the same with property insurance too, is the premises going to be empty for over thirty days seems to ring a bell..?? Thanks for your response.