Advice

Blake87

Hi All,

New to forum and first post.

I am looking at studying a trade (carpentry/Mechanic) in Australia and then hopefully apply and be accepted for Temp Grad visa and embark on the Job ready programme. Following success of this I would then apply for my EOI for 189 or 190 as with all the above I should score around 65/70/75 depending if apply for state nomination and also if study in regional area.

I was introduced to this process by Pathway to Aus. Has anybody used them before what was the result?

I was wondering if anyone has done the above and been successful or unsuccessful and why? Appreciate there is a lot that can potential fail with this process but without this route would never get above 60 points.

Also good to hear from people with Carpentry or Mechanic qualifications who score around same points and have applied for EOI. 
Do we think these trades will still be in demand for next 5+ years?

I have see 2017/18 invitations are only with very high points is this due to the NZ visa backlog and hopefully once this has caught up, invitations will still be obviously highest points but more around the 60/65 mark?

Any info is greatly appreciated as don't want to embark on a costly process without having done a lot of homework first. Appreciate I have to way up whether the risk is worth the reward.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Frankly, it sounds utterly reprehensible and irresponsible that an organisation would tout taking a pathway that spans multiple years, only to apply for a 189/190, when the legislation and skills lists change on a very frequent basis.

I doubt anyone with any credibility would suggest you embark on a course of action that costs many thousands, spans multiple application years, and depends on rules and lists not changing over a prolonged period.

I've never heard of that company, but to be very blunt, I wouldn't even throw sh*t at them, if that's what they're suggesting.

Hi Celtin,

Thanks for your reply and points noted.

I would only be obtaining a student visa and then progress on to a temp grad visa which is quite common. Whilst on the Temp grad visa I can embark on the JRP which is basically just to get my skills assessed whilst in Australia and cuts out the need for 3 years post qualification work experience. This will then enable me to apply for the EOI. This EOI will still enable me to then continue to apply for many years it is not a one off.

I am not questioning the credibility of the agent as the process is on the government website so is a process I just wondered if anyway has done this and potentially been successful.

Thanks

No one. I totally understand there is a lot of risk, I am not naive to this. Trades have always been in demand in Australia as far as I am aware and taking an educated stance after reading articles on building sector in Australia and given Australia population is continuing to grow, these people are going to need places to live. 

Apologies I don't know your situation so are you currently living in Australia and or work in Trades as may know more on this than me.

What my situation is is irrelevant.  I just don't like seeing people blindly throw money away.

If you're aware of the caveats and go ahead anyways, best of luck to you, mate.   Please, please, please, please just be aware that you should not count on anything being on a skill list from one year to the next just because 'there is demand'.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Blake87 to be honest I agree with @CeltInCaulfield in that the process you mention MAY be possible, but that is a huge MAY. Just recently I heard of someone telling people instead of doing farmwork for their 2nd year visa they should become a student and after their course finished they would be able to stay in Australia permanently. This is terrible advice and could cost people thousands. 

An estimate of funds required for a 2 year Cert III joinery course and financial requirement   is over $60,000 have you got this kind of money available? Are you willing to risk that amount of money? 

I would really check out this group- personally I have never heard of them.  Usually people become apprentices to get into carpentry or attend TAFE colleges.  There may be plenty of work around but there are also plenty of young ones looking.  Just be very careful and don't part with well earned cash without checking and double checking first!

Guest The Pom Queen
14 minutes ago, Blake87 said:

No one. I totally understand there is a lot of risk, I am not naive to this. Trades have always been in demand in Australia as far as I am aware and taking an educated stance after reading articles on building sector in Australia and given Australia population is continuing to grow, these people are going to need places to live. 

Apologies I don't know your situation so are you currently living in Australia and or work in Trades as may know more on this than me.

Blake the problem is visas are changing dramatically, something that was easy a couple of years ago is near impossible now. 

If you fancy being a carpenter or a mechanic then I would highly suggest to do this but in the UK and save yourself thousands. We have a number of members who are taking this approach especially the ones in the medical field.

I agree with the other posters.  My husbands skilled professional job was on the skilled list when we moved to Australia on a temporary visa.  It was removed one month after we received our PR grant.  We would have been fine, as we had other avenues to PR with my profession, but had we not had other options and had the skill been removed before we'd applied/had it granted, we'd have had to move back.  I would think it would be a huge amount of money to risk on a maybe.  No one can really predict what is going to happen with trades or the skills lists.

I'd probably advise training for a job that you will enjoy in the UK, and then look at migrating later on down the track if you are able.  The chance of being able to migrate or not will be the same, but you'll have at least trained in something you want to do for a lower cost.

Pom Queen, yes I have sufficient savings funds to support me without me and my partner working. I have priced up visas/flights/medical/living costs/food etc, if we cant find jobs straight away etc. This is not something I have been dangled a carrot and blindly going after. I am aware of the risks. Appreciate the MAY is a risk. But if I don't get on the Grad scheme then I come home and get my skills assessed in UK. I can then work for 3 years in UK and apply for EOI then. So it it not all based on if I can get all these visa's it is better if I can but not the end if I don't.

The agent is not telling me if I do this process I am guaranteed PR. In fact they have advised the opposite, they have simply highlighted a potential path and I was curious to ask people on here and do my own research.

I appreciate both of your concerns.

Guest The Pom Queen

Well one good thing is they have a registered agent on their team https://www.mara.gov.au/search-the-register-of-migration-agents/registered-migration-agent-details/?id=9f983f43-ac2c-e411-9402-005056ab0eca

Also remember it’s not just a case of having what you feel is sufficient savings. To apply for the visa you have to meet the financial requirement for each year of study, so if you are single and your course is 4 years it’s over $80,000.

I think a partner adds on an extra $7k and a child $3k I will see if I can find you the link.

Look, none of us want to put a downer on this for you and we will all support you but we have seen so many people lose everything they had which included a young family who sold their house to get here on a student visa, completed their course then got kicked out, that was in electrical engineering so a skill high in demand. They went back to the UK to nothing, tragically it proved too much for the husband and he ended his life. 

‘I love Australia and if I was you I’d probably also be taking the risk, but please have a back up plan, sometimes we all get caught up in the moment and can’t see past it.

Guest The Pom Queen

https://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/english/live-in-australia/living-costs/living-costs-in-australia

Please note: 

The Department of Home Affairs(opens in a new window) has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia. From 1st February 2018 the 12 month living cost is:

• You - $20,290
  • Partner or spouse - $7,100 
  • Child - $3,040

All costs are per year in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency, visit http://www.xe.com/(opens in a new window)

Guest The Pom Queen
10 minutes ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

You *may* be able to apply for an EOI after all those years.  Please, don't presume that there will even be an open PR pathway.  The changes we're seeing take place now, and some things that are being discussed more broadly mean the landscape could change *dramatically* over the next few years.

To be honest @CeltInCaulfield It’s quite frightening the changes being made. A couple of weeks back they sneakily cut the visa intake. If anyone can apply for a visa now I would be doing it and not waiting around. Look what’s just happened on parent visas as well.

What can you envisage coming? This is stuff I want to know. this will help me with my decision.

Pom Queen, I have calculated all these costs previously as well as additional visas and worse case scenarios etc and have more than enough money (not bragging). 

I know you are highlighting that family to show me worse case what can happen and not to put all my hopes on this situation but without knowing the full facts on the family you refer I cannot really pass comment. Tragic situation. But could be numerous reasons behind why he was kicked out, not granted visa etc and also what lead to his suicide.

Starlight, yes the Tafe would put me through this course and I would also have to do 360 hours VP which is similar to apprentice and what qualifies me for the Temp Grad visa and JRP.

Let me make it clear I am more than happy to walk away from this visa route and Australia, it was more of a fishing attempt to get others options and also from people that may have done this.

Appreciate everyone's comments and help, don't take anything the wrong way

There is a lot of conversation about immigration at the moment in Australia - and some pretty negative about the impacts.   It is seems to me - and I am sitting in London to be fair, but working for an Australian company and well read on various news sites - that immigration levels are seen as unsustainable, and many routes open now may well be cut temporarily if not permanently.

On the other hand, there are many who see the benefits, the skills and growth etc that high immigration brings, but tell that to the city planners dealing with 120k more people in Melbourne and 100k more in Sydney in 12 months.  You can see the concerns.

My partner would score 75 points for 190 visa as a hairdresser but will need to get skills assessed first and then put in our EOI. 
With the 190 visa is it a requirement to work in this role when you enter Australia as she is wanting to move on from Hairdressing so if we were invited would not want to carry on in Oz doing hairdressing if there was a requirement for so many years etc.

Has anyone lodged and been accepted for a 190 as a hairdresser? How long was the process?

Another part is do we have to nominate a state we want to be nominated by or simply leave it open and wait for any state to invite us?

Thanks again for any advice.

13 minutes ago, Blake87 said:

My partner would score 75 points for 190 visa as a hairdresser but will need to get skills assessed first and then put in our EOI. 
With the 190 visa is it a requirement to work in this role when you enter Australia as she is wanting to move on from Hairdressing so if we were invited would not want to carry on in Oz doing hairdressing if there was a requirement for so many years etc.

Has anyone lodged and been accepted for a 190 as a hairdresser? How long was the process?

Another part is do we have to nominate a state we want to be nominated by or simply leave it open and wait for any state to invite us?

Thanks again for any advice.

That would be a far more sensible option. The idea of going on a student visa and a fair few years down the track hoping to apply for a visa is incredibly high risk. The government have been making lots of noises about slashing migration and there have been massive changes in the last 12 months with a lot more apparently to come. Over 200 occupations have been removed in the last year alone! 

On a 190, your partner is not limited to working in any profession or even working at all. 

You would be far better choosing a state for nomination as they don't bother otherwise as they actually want to see a commitment to that state. 

We have had a lot of members over the years migrate on the occupation of hairdresser. 

Thanks for your response. Is there a page for this or possible hairdressers you refer to that I can maybe speak to directly on here? 

Would it be worth while applying to somewhere like SA for 190 due to low population growth as opposed to Melb/Sydney/Brisbane due to everyone trying to move there?

Like the 189 do they have a quota for each occupation for the 190 or is it all mixed in the same occupation ceiling? 

Lastly is there a requirement to remain in the state that nominates you a period of time as part of the visa requirements?

Agree entirely with VeryStormy. Your partner as primary applicant would seem much more sensible if there is a route there, right now.

I don't want to freak anyone, and like PomQueen said, some of the recent changes are frightening. I am a migrant myself, so see well the benefits to both those of us coming in and the country by having us. That said, I seriously think it possible that the PR programmes will be wound down over the coming few years and replaced by renewable temporary visas. At the very least, if 189s remain available, it feels increasingly like there will be a massive slash in numbers granted. 

Edited to stress: none of us know what WILL happen. For all we know, Ton....... Malcolm might say we need more PR visas granted.

Edited by CeltInCaulfield

what a funny set of offices on the Pathway to Aus website:

"Our first office opened on The Gold Coast in 2013 and has developed quickly opening offices in Brazil, Argentina, France and Adelaide. We have friendly staff fluent in French, Portuguese, Spanish and Chinese who are more than happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have."

I have three offices New York, Paris, Peckham!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blake87 said:

Thanks for your response. Is there a page for this or possible hairdressers you refer to that I can maybe speak to directly on here? 

Would it be worth while applying to somewhere like SA for 190 due to low population growth as opposed to Melb/Sydney/Brisbane due to everyone trying to move there?

Like the 189 do they have a quota for each occupation for the 190 or is it all mixed in the same occupation ceiling? 

Lastly is there a requirement to remain in the state that nominates you a period of time as part of the visa requirements?

If you use the search tool in the visa section you will find loads of posts for hairdressers. 

I would base the state, fir on who is offering sponsorship as not all will be and then where of them you want to live. There is no legal obligation to live in the sponsoring state, but you should not gain sponsorship without the intent to live there as that would be visa fraud. There is a moral obligation only to live in the sponsoring state for two years. 

I don't think hairdressers are subject to quotas.