Going for interview while RRV is being assessed

gameover98

I received my 175 visa back in 2012 but didn't make a move primarily due to my daughter who needed special care back then. The 175 expired in mid/late 2017.

I lodged my RRV application a few weeks ago, but it looks like I'm not getting much traction after 4 weeks. The status on the Immi site is still "Received".

I am getting offers for interviews in Sydney and Melbourne, would it be possible for me to travel to Australia under a tourist visa for the interviews without affecting my 175 and RRV application? I recall reading somewhere that my 175 would automatically be cancelled if I entered Australia under a tourist visa although I can't seem to find that reference anymore.

6 hours ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

Did you clearly explain the extenuating circumstances as to why you didn't make the move, in your RRV application?

Without those, and if you hadn't spent any time in Australia since the grant, it may be the case that the application for an RRV could be rejected. Did you consult a registered agent on this?

Yes I did explain circumstances, my daughter has a learning disability and we needed a lot more support/stability in those first years. We spent cumulatively several months over the past 5 years in Australia although nowhere close to 2 years. The thing is there's no update to the case on the immi website, it still says "Received".

No I have not consulted an agent on this (yet). I figured I could do the first round on my own first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Do follow Ali's advice about Skype interviews. Employers in Oz are very used to them due to the size of the country. An employer in Sydney would usually not expect to interview a candidate in person who lived in WA. 

Thanks, I will. I actually did have a Skype interview from a company CEO in Perth some time back although I actually turned down that job.  I'm looking for more senior level jobs which requires a fair amount of networking though. Will just wait it out, a few more weeks won't make much of a difference.

14 hours ago, gameover98 said:

Thanks, I will. I actually did have a Skype interview from a company CEO in Perth some time back although I actually turned down that job.  I'm looking for more senior level jobs which requires a fair amount of networking though. Will just wait it out, a few more weeks won't make much of a difference.

Non-standard RRV processing times have increased very significantly in the past 18 months. In late 2016, a couple of days was reasonable, now 4-6 weeks seems to be the norm. The Department's website suggests that 90% of RRVs are processed within 47 days - it would be reasonable to follow up at that point.

As you have been in Australia as a permanent resident within the last five years, but not for two years in the previous five, what you need to have demonstrated in your application is that you have "substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia". The reason for your absence is not relevant unless you have been away for more than 5 years. 

In terms of travel to Australia, because you are offshore and the travel part of your visa has expired, your PR visa is now no longer in effect and therefore there is nothing 'to cancel' if you get a temporary visa in the meantime. RRVs are available to former permanent residents who may have travelled to Australia on ETAs or temporary visas since last holding a permanent visa.

However, as you have already applied for the RRV, it is probably better to wait it out offshore.  You will obviously be in a much better position to look for a job in Aus if you already hold the permanent visa rather than having just applied for one. As you are aware, if granted, you will get a visa with a one year travel facility from the date of grant.

Hope this helps.

Paul Hand

MARN 1801974

5 hours ago, paulhand said:

Non-standard RRV processing times have increased very significantly in the past 18 months. In late 2016, a couple of days was reasonable, now 4-6 weeks seems to be the norm. The Department's website suggests that 90% of RRVs are processed within 47 days - it would be reasonable to follow up at that point.

In terms of travel to Australia, because you are offshore and the travel part of your visa has expired, your PR visa is now no longer in effect and therefore there is nothing 'to cancel' if you get a temporary visa in the meantime. RRVs are available to former permanent residents who may have travelled to Australia on ETAs or temporary visas since last holding a permanent visa.

Thanks for the response Paul, particularly the point where my PR is no longer in effect and cannot be "cancelled" with an ETA.

I'm asking about the ETA primarily because of the interviews, but also because I've read elsewhere that it would be faster to obtain an RRV in person at a DIBP onshore in Australia. Have been in touch with the companies interviewing me so far, everything is on hold with them until the RRV is approved, but obviously my RRV will be a lot stronger if I had that job offer already. I'm stuck in a chicken and egg situation so I had this idea of getting an ETA, fly out to Sydney to present my case with the DIBP and do the final round of interviews at the same time.

I'll probably wait a few more weeks to see how far it my RRV progresses with the DIBP.